Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your 90%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok the new batter on my February 2019 Model S 90D on its first full charge shows 272 miles, old pack showed 278 right before replacement but 284 when I bought it used. It would never suggest going from service center to home without Supercharging, the new one did. Looks like it will take some time for the computers to learn the new pack. 90 percent was 245 before I moved the slider to 100%

Ok the new batter on my February 2019 Model S 90D on its first full charge shows 272 miles, old pack showed 278 right before replacement but 284 when I bought it used. It would never suggest going from service center to home without Supercharging, the new one did. Looks like it will take some time for the computers to learn the new pack. 90 percent was 245 before I moved the slider to 100%

:cool:

126,500 miles
220 at 90%.

I have not been below 10% in a long time, so have not "reset the algorithm."

So how does one go below 10%? Drive around the supercharger for an hour? Or do people just leave it in the garage with the a/c on for a few days?

And what is the latest consensus: Is it a good thing to do to go to 5% for example, which for my car is 20km range left, and how often?

Reactions: Unpilot
So, if you have a 90kwh battery and access to the CANbus, you'll see that the value Range Remaining is actually calculated based on the BMS reported "Nominal Capacity" (includes unusable brick protection). However, once you start driving and you get below 80%, this Range Remaining begins a correction using some number between nominal and usable, down to 20% where it ends up using what it should; just Usable Capacity.

Nominal includes the 4kwh brick protection you can't use. And 0% = 0% Usable (Nominal will read 4kwh remaining when battery reports 0% to the driver).
I have access to canbus. Reports 80.8 pack vs 81 remaining at 100% charge. Even by the "84 is the new 90" Tesla standard that's still 4% degradation. Did some full charges and deep discharges today, and I don't even want to get into all the weird behavior I saw. I think there are just too many fudge factors to make any damn sense out of this now, and I expect it to get even harder as degradation increases. I don't know how even Tesla engineers keep this straight. Queue 30 line comment blocks...

So how does one go below 10%? Drive around the supercharger for an hour? Or do people just leave it in the garage with the a/c on for a few days?

And what is the latest consensus: Is it a good thing to do to go to 5% for example, which for my car is 20km range left, and how often?
I don't know about anyone else, but I can't risk starting a day under 100 miles range. So I plug in (almost) every night. That's why I've not gone below 10% in so long. I'm still figuring out how to purposely get that low while staying near the house. Probably drive around the neighborhood for a while, maybe finish with climate control.

The next problem is my morning commute is only 5 miles, and I don't want to leave it that close to 100% that long. It's after work I have to get around.

And the accepted consensus is try to avoid the top and bottom 10% as a general rule. So not often. I'm pretty sure the only thing running the battery down that low does is display a different number after you charge, sometimes.

I have access to canbus. Reports 80.8 pack vs 81 remaining at 100% charge. Even by the "84 is the new 90" Tesla standard that's still 4% degradation. Did some full charges and deep discharges today, and I don't even want to get into all the weird behavior I saw. I think there are just too many fudge factors to make any damn sense out of this now, and I expect it to get even harder as degradation increases. I don't know how even Tesla engineers keep this straight. Queue 30 line comment blocks...
I'd like to hook this up but following the thread I saw was quite confusing, has anyone made a simple buy this hook these up list to get started before delving into more advanced sleuthing?

Did a complete 100% to 1% straight drive today, no stopping. Consumption was 272 watt hours per mile over 265 miles. Making a simple adjustment for the lower consumption back up to EpA 290 watt hrs per mile gives you 256 Epa range.

Zero is when usable capacity equals zero and what did the car tell me 100% was for miles remaining? Of course it told me 256 because that's when you would hit zero percent. WRONG!!! At the beginning of the trip and right down to 80 percent, the car was giving me range remaining based on nominal capacity, 274 miles @ 100%, not usable capacity. If this isn't blatent lying and hiding the truth, I don't know what is.

And to add salt to the would, Total usable capacity is 74kwh on a "90kwh" pack.

Which of each part did you use? The one I saw went on and on about ones that didn't work and how some worked. I figure just get one that worked for someone else is a good approach
I'll check my order history. And no offense to anyone reporting their 90% with a "90 battery", but unless you are pulling usable, nominal, and range remaining from BMS, the result isn't submisable as good data. In fact, id go as far to say Tesla knows about this thread and that is why the bms is programmed to lie down to 80%, so that the masses don't catch on.

Reactions: Kacey Green

Check out how the weird reporting affects the trip meter:
IMG_20180714_092644.jpg

Total trip 202 miles remaining, BMS reports 203 miles until empty, but the trip meter says I'll have 5% remaining when I arrive. How is that magic possible Tesla? And btw, where we getting that 203 from? It ain't coming from usable capacity.....

Reactions: Kacey Green
Oh I can make plenty sense of it. What is your range remaining, usable, and nominal at 100% according to BMS?

Check out how the weird reporting affects the trip meter:View attachment 317024

Total trip 202 miles remaining, BMS reports 203 miles until empty, but the trip meter says I'll have 5% remaining when I arrive. How is that magic possible Tesla? And btw, where we getting that 203 from? It ain't coming from usable capacity.....
I have seen those same kind of numbers from 85 packs. I don't think the 90 packs are doing anything different.
The 203 number comes from the % remaining usable pack (SOC) times the approx. 272 rated miles = 203.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: supratachophobia
I have seen those same kind of numbers from 85 packs. I don't think the 90 packs are doing anything different.
The 203 number comes from the % remaining usable pack (SOC) times the approx. 272 rated miles = 203.
No it doesn't! Do the math. They are using nominal capacity (or the adjusted number they start using under 80%) and the trip meter is buying it hook, line, and sinker.

Here, I'll do the math. Usable is going to be 190 at that level, nominal is 205.

The. Car. Is. Lying.