Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your 90%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hit 128,000 miles today in my 2013 S85.
222 @90%

I posted here almost a month and 1500 miles ago, 220. So after 1 time getting the SOC down below 10% followed by 1 100% charge it's up 2 miles.

S 75D (originally 60D)
For my 90%, it switches between 222 and 223 miles. It was first 226 miles when I software unlocked.
It has been 1 year and half and used 25,000 miles and it seems like I lost 3-4 miles which is not a big deal.

Overall satisfied!

Again, I want to see CanBUS data for these 90% numbers. Especially for 90kwh batteries. I really don't think we can trust what the car is reporting until 80% or below.

I hit 128,000 miles today in my 2013 S85. 222 @90% I posted here almost a month and 1500 miles ago, 220.
So after 1 time getting the SOC down below 10% followed by 1 100% charge it's up 2 miles.

S 75D (originally 60D)
For my 90%, it switches between 222 and 223 miles. It was first 226 miles when I software unlocked.
It has been 1 year and half and used 25,000 miles and it seems like I lost 3-4 miles which is not a big deal.
Overall satisfied!

Interesting to note that an S85 and 75D are both at 222 miles @ 90% :cool:

Reactions: Kacey Green
There are too many variables . Outside temp, last charge , mine is never the same. Anywhere between 230 and 260 full. I never run it up that high unless i know the place im going has zero chargers. And i need to get to a charger. Charleston comes to mind.
Charge times are never the same.
I keep a log, i showed it to a Ranger the other day. He agreed, just too many uncontrollable variables .

Oh, he said if parking spot was over 100 or more, it will not go to higher limit. Say you pull ito a spot here in Florida when air temp is 95, the asphalt is more like 150. The senors feel the heat. My cooling fans were going full in Orlando last week. The battery pack has overtemp protection.

Had a chance to charge my 2014 S60 (55k miles) to 99% — as high as it goes — before taking it in for routine service, and got 184 RM. So, down 11.5% from the supposed 208 RM when new. Had the service tech check my battery and he said it ranked at 80th to 85th percentile among S60 batteries, which seems about right, given the reports of other S60s with considerably greater degradation.

Also asked how much a replacement battery would cost and was told that a remanufactured 60 battery is currently $16,000. I consider myself lucky that my battery capacity is still enough to do my longer road trip legs. It has shown almost no additional degradation over the last year and a half that I can tell, despite hard use.

• S60, May 2014 build
• 55k miles
• Supercharged 200 times (since I bought it with fewer than 7000 miles on it, don't know about before that)
• Lowest SoC reached on a trip leg: 3% (7 RM)
• 89% 164 RM ("89%" is what the "90%" detent on the charge level always gives me).
• 99% 184 RM (99% is as high as my car goes)
• Normal home charging maximum is 50% to 70%, depending on the season. I don't charge higher than that unless on a road trip, when I sometimes Supercharge as high as 93% to 97% — takes a long time — to deal with long trip legs and freeway speeds. (At home "90%" limits my regen when dealing with long, steep hills, especially when the battery is cool in winter.)

Interesting to note that an S85 and 75D are both at 222 miles @ 90% :cool:

The rated miles for 85 and 75D are close to each other. EPA rated 85 gets 265 miles and 75D gets 259 miles. 85 gets 5 usable kWh more than 75D but dual motors are more efficient in Model S. Thus closer the gap.

Finally @Brass Guy 's car has way more miles (mine is only 25K miles so far on S) and is an older car, I think we both(75D and 85) end up getting 222 miles for 90%. Still considering he had already put 128,000 miles, it is amazing how his car holds 222 miles at 90%.

I am quite satisfied with my range at this age and mileage. It's actually been very consistent for several years. I was mildly disappointed earlier, but it has not dropped in a very long time so I have high confidence now.

I'm not certain that my displayed rated range is actually telling the whole story either. I did that one exercise of getting the battery below 10% then 100% charge, but when I got down to single digit miles my power restriction was still quite high; well over the 160kw tick mark. I suspect I may actually have more than the displayed 222 RM at 90%, but don't plan to stress the battery just to find out.

Only 2 more payments and it's all mine; just a little nervous that I only have about 3 more years on my battery/drive unit warranty!

I am quite satisfied with my range at this age and mileage. It's actually been very consistent for several years. I was mildly disappointed earlier, but it has not dropped in a very long time so I have high confidence now.

I'm not certain that my displayed rated range is actually telling the whole story either. I did that one exercise of getting the battery below 10% then 100% charge, but when I got down to single digit miles my power restriction was still quite high; well over the 160kw tick mark. I suspect I may actually have more than the displayed 222 RM at 90%, but don't plan to stress the battery just to find out.

Only 2 more payments and it's all mine; just a little nervous that I only have about 3 more years on my battery/drive unit warranty!

Woah, just realized you have Metallic Green S. Even here in southern CA, I haven't seen green Tesla for more than a year. It's like a unicorn now despite I see 20+ Tesla's each day.

Did I ask already if you have the ability to pull kwh capacities from the battery?

Did I ask already if you have the ability to pull kwh capacities from the battery?
No, and I don't. But I'm not overly interested in actual kWh capacity since I've been using rated range as my scale since I got the car. I normally beat rated range (except in Winter) so the displayed range is useful to me.
By rated Wh/m (286-300?) and rated range at 100% (248), my usable kWh is between 71 and 75; which is probably about right given that I've read the 85 is actually closer to 80 anyway.

Had a chance to charge my 2014 S60 (55k miles) to 99% — as high as it goes — before taking it in for routine service, and got 184 RM. So, down 11.5% from the supposed 208 RM when new. Had the service tech check my battery and he said it ranked at 80th to 85th percentile among S60 batteries, which seems about right, given the reports of other S60s with considerably greater degradation.

Also asked how much a replacement battery would cost and was told that a remanufactured 60 battery is currently $16,000. I consider myself lucky that my battery capacity is still enough to do my longer road trip legs. It has shown almost no additional degradation over the last year and a half that I can tell, despite hard use.

• S60, May 2014 build
• 55k miles
• Supercharged 200 times (since I bought it with fewer than 7000 miles on it, don't know about before that)
• Lowest SoC reached on a trip leg: 3% (7 RM)
• 89% 164 RM ("89%" is what the "90%" detent on the charge level always gives me).
• 99% 184 RM (99% is as high as my car goes)
• Normal home charging maximum is 50% to 70%, depending on the season. I don't charge higher than that unless on a road trip, when I sometimes Supercharge as high as 93% to 97% — takes a long time — to deal with long trip legs and freeway speeds. (At home "90%" limits my regen when dealing with long, steep hills, especially when the battery is cool in winter.)
I’m curious. Did the $16k include trading in your old battery?

I’m curious. Did the $16k include trading in your old battery?
I didn't ask because I was certain the answer was "yes." The $16k battery would be a refurb so they would need the old one to make future refurbs. Tesla does not make and sell new batteries for the old style cars, although that could change someday. I presume that the refurbs have modules with new cells since all the modules have to match and it seems likely that the cells would need to be new, although that's a guess. The service tech who got me the price was of the opinion that the price would be coming down in the future, although I have my doubts because the replacement battery market would be so small for the older cars.