Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your 90%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very possible. It was either that or something to do with balancing and/or measurement precision. I'm pretty sure I'm not gaining capacity with time (unless these older batteries were software limited somehow).
I think they are tweaking things in the software battery capacity estimates. My 90% was 264 when I took delivery and went up slightly in the summer (as would be expected) to 266. It stayed the same for over a year but in the past 6 months, it went down to 256 but is now back up to 260 even though the weather has gotten colder.

• Informative
Reactions: kavyboy
I'm new to the Tesla family and just had my 2015 MS P85D CPO delivered; I'm blown away with the ranges listed on this thread. I'm showing at 89% 213 miles. Seems pretty low compared to what others have posted. Should I reset my car's settings to see if the previous owners driving habits are attributing to such a low range?

2015 MS P85D | Solid White | 21' Grey rims | 45000 miles

I'm pretty sure driving habits don't affect rated range. They do affect projected range both in NAV and in the energy graph. IIRC, P85D does have a lower rated range than even the 85; as well as the 85D.

I imagine you'll be at 217~218 at 90%, which might be a little low for 45k miles.
As long as you have enough range for your daily driving to keep you between 90% and 20% with ease, don't worry about it.

Remember the battery warranty is 8 years with no mileage limitation. Tesla will take care of you if something is really wrong, but their policy does not cover "normal degradation." At 45k miles it should be in a stable phase of its age. If you lose range miles at a steady rate or a bunch (~20) all of a sudden, contact a service center. If it stays within a few miles at a given SOC, it's normal.

I usually charge to 80%, but went to 90% this weekend and got 222 in my 85. Consistent for a long time. Not bad for ~133k miles!

I'm new to the Tesla family and just had my 2015 MS P85D CPO delivered; I'm blown away with the ranges listed on this thread. I'm showing at 89% 213 miles. Seems pretty low compared to what others have posted. Should I reset my car's settings to see if the previous owners driving habits are attributing to such a low range?

2015 MS P85D | Solid White | 21' Grey rims | 45000 miles

213 at 89% works out to 239 miles at 100%. The original advertised range for that model was 253 miles. That's 5.4% degradation. Though I notice you have 21 inch tires, that could account for the 5% by itself. Especially if you have more performance oriented tires as opposed to low rolling resistance tires.

@wdolson I thought displayed rated range wasn't affected by driving style or tires. Of course actual range will take a hit, but the calculated "rated range" should stay the same even if you swap out your wheels; like if you have 21s in the summer and a 19" set for winter time.

I think the algorithm is based on variables such as pack or module voltages, how they change as they are being charged or discharged, the rate energy is being absorbed during charging, etc. All this could be affected by ambient temperature; but I haven't seen other factors play into "rated" range.

I admit I could be wrong about this; I know that when you reset TPMS you are prompted for wheel size so they may have included it in the algorithm. I have 2 sets but they're all 19".

I'm pretty sure driving habits don't affect rated range. They do affect projected range both in NAV and in the energy graph. IIRC, P85D does have a lower rated range than even the 85; as well as the 85D.

I imagine you'll be at 217~218 at 90%, which might be a little low for 45k miles.
As long as you have enough range for your daily driving to keep you between 90% and 20% with ease, don't worry about it.

Remember the battery warranty is 8 years with no mileage limitation. Tesla will take care of you if something is really wrong, but their policy does not cover "normal degradation." At 45k miles it should be in a stable phase of its age. If you lose range miles at a steady rate or a bunch (~20) all of a sudden, contact a service center. If it stays within a few miles at a given SOC, it's normal.

I usually charge to 80%, but went to 90% this weekend and got 222 in my 85. Consistent for a long time. Not bad for ~133k miles!
That helps a lot, thanks!

@wdolson I thought displayed rated range wasn't affected by driving style or tires. Of course actual range will take a hit, but the calculated "rated range" should stay the same even if you swap out your wheels; like if you have 21s in the summer and a 19" set for winter time.

I think the algorithm is based on variables such as pack or module voltages, how they change as they are being charged or discharged, the rate energy is being absorbed during charging, etc. All this could be affected by ambient temperature; but I haven't seen other factors play into "rated" range.

I admit I could be wrong about this; I know that when you reset TPMS you are prompted for wheel size so they may have included it in the algorithm. I have 2 sets but they're all 19".

When I got new tires they couldn't get the TPMS to quite showing low pressure on the tires so we tried a reset. When I got home I discovered they had underinflated the tires by 10 PSI. If you have 21" tires and the car thinks you have 19", that would mess with things, though I'm not sure what exactly would be affected.

The lower rate range could just be due to normal battery degradation. As I calculated, it's about 5% down from the original rated range, which is pretty much middle of the bell curve degradation.

In late spring of this year, my classic 85 finally lost more significant range - and basically all at once (went from 237 to 232 rated miles at 90%). I now have 55,000 miles on my March '14 Model S, and my 90% has been rock-solid at 232 rated miles for four months. My 100% is now at 257 rated miles. I'm still not complaining, as that is just barely 3% loss in nearly 5 years of ownership.

Just got my ‘13 P85 a few weeks ago! With around 59k miles, mine has 228 rated miles at 90%. I suppose this is about 4-5% degradation, which seems to be within range .... ?

Now I just need to figure out how to get anywhere close to that.. I seem to always average 370-390 wh/mi, much higher than many others in another thread. I guess I just have a heavier foot.

Just got my ‘13 P85 a few weeks ago! With around 59k miles, mine has 228 rated miles at 90%. I suppose this is about 4-5% degradation, which seems to be within range .... ?

Now I just need to figure out how to get anywhere close to that.. I seem to always average 370-390 wh/mi, much higher than many others in another thread. I guess I just have a heavier foot.

Do you use the heat much? That will up the energy usage quite a bit.

Do you use the heat much? That will up the energy usage quite a bit.

Occasionally, but most of the time no, especially when I am alone in the car and don't really need it. If the wife and/or baby is in the car, then yes - but that's usually for about 10 minutes/day of my 1 hr round trip commute. Realistically, how much would that increase it, say from like 340 to 370 wh/mi?

Here is my range graphed out over the last 2.5 years from 80k miles to 181k miles on my odometer. ( I don't have data from before that time) You can see how the range goes up and down a few miles all the time. It's just 'noise' The true degradation is only showing if you look at the big picture. Don't worry about little spikes and valleys from week to week or even months. Also make sure you don't have 'Range Mode' turned on when taking a sample.

Considering that 265 miles was the advertised range for my car I have 9.5% degradation after 181k miles. Not bad. My car showed 271 miles when new, though. When I use that as the basis I lost 11.3%. The range loss doesn't affect my daily driving or charging in any way so it's fine. On road trips it eats into my range. In addition to having lost range, my car charges 25% slower on a supercharger compared to when it was new. That does get a little annoying on longer trips. But I'm fine with it s I'm not paying for supercharging so I'm not complaining :)

rangeOverTime.PNG