Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your 90%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this a Model S 90D? (You don't have a signature with this Ingo). Also what is XX16 plate ?

Yes Model S 90D.

UK registration plates for 2016 are either XX16 or XX66 (where XX are other characters). XX16 would be early 2016 and XX66 is late 2016 build (Number plate format | AA). So mine was built between March and August this year.

Ill update my signaure with info.

I have looked back in this thread and see others have mid to high 260s @ 90%.

@msnow - I just saw your response to jeffro01 on 1st July 2016. My numbers are very similar to his. My battery pack is 1088790-00-A. What are your numbers?

Last edited:
Yes Model S 90D.

UK registration plates for 2016 are either XX16 or XX66 (where XX are other characters). XX16 would be early 2016 and XX66 is late 2016 build (Number plate format | AA). So mine was built between March and August this year.

Ill update my signaure with info.

I have looked back in this thread and see others have mid to high 260s @ 90%.
Right, so if you have a version 2 or 3 battery (which you probably do) your 100% was 294 rated miles new or ~264 @90%. The first thing I would do would be to rebalance and recalibrate your battery to see where it's really at. Over time the algorithm that gives you the rated miles number on the dashboard gets out of whack after months of charging. The way you do this is to run your battery down below 10% then do a full 100% charge which will trigger the balancing and calibration of your rated range number. It's more likely than not that you didn't lose 14 miles of rated range but if after performing this procedure you are still significantly below 264 bring it up with your Service Center.

• Informative
Reactions: acarlos1000
Right, so if you have a version 2 or 3 battery (which you probably do) your 100% was 294 rated miles new or ~264 @90%. The first thing I would do would be to rebalance and recalibrate your battery to see where it's really at. Over time the algorithm that gives you the rated miles number on the dashboard gets out of whack after months of charging. The way you do this is to run your battery down below 10% then do a full 100% charge which will trigger the balancing and calibration of your rated range number. It's more likely than not that you didn't lose 14 miles of rated range but if after performing this procedure you are still significantly below 264 bring it up with your Service Center.

Thanks Ill try doing that. I updated my post just before you replied that my battery is 1088790-00-A.

So in 47 pages only one P100D owner posted their 90%? Any others out there?
90%
IMG_8154.JPG

Follow-up from previous post What's your 90%?

I heard back from service - here is the latest: "Engineering has potentially identified an interface issue which is altering what the charge termination point should be. They are currently looking in to it and I will be able to get a better answer and resolution once i hear back from them."

Another interesting symptom: Two says ago I charged to 100%, which yielded 232 miles - this is what I used to get at 90%, and although the display indicated a 100% charge, regen was not limited at all. This does seem to support an interface issue, rather than an actual degradation of the battery... but no clue why this would only affect my car.

Due to holidays, I was told to expect the next updat ~mid next week.

Yay. For the first time in over a year, I just got 230mi for my 90% on my 2013 S85 with 56K mi.

It had been 234 maybe 18 months ago, then dropping steadily past 230 down to 227 about a year ago, then verrrry slowly going up to 229 lately, staying at 229 for months, and now this morning 230.

Sure, scoff at it as an anomaly. Me, I'll take it as a new year's day gift.

One thing that I have done quite differently in the past 12 months than any other time since owning the car: I don't plug the car in to the HPWC as much anymore. For the first 2.5 years I religiously plugged the car in the moment I parked it at home. But in the past 8-12 months, I do a charge-back-to-90% on the car maybe 2-3 times a week, then let it drain down to around 120 or even 90 mi before I will plug it in again. I know Tesla says always plug it in even if it doesn't need charging, but what I have found is that charging less (and sometimes I am now charging only to 75% not even 90%) seems to be helping with the resulting 90% range.

Bought mine in March 2015 and my 90% was 243. It had slowing been drifting down to the point it was at 232. After reading lots of post, I decided to try to time the charge so that when I leave for work, it was nice and charged and it eventually went back up to 241. So I just came back from a 2 week vacation and left the car unplugged in case there was some sort of major surge at my house and the vampire charge left it at 120. To my surprise, I recharge the at it went to 242. This morning after a normal charge, my charge hit 243...back to the original levels when i picked up my car. Needless to say, I was very happy!

13month old 70D, about 14500km
latest 90% = 346km rated (=215mi), range mode off. Outside temps around freezing this week.

pretty consistently around that rated number since delivery, +/- a couple km.
I do not normally charge to 90% daily, usually only to about 65%, FWIW

P85D-L delivered May 28, 2015. 90% at delivery was 227 miles. Current odometer is 9877 miles. Most recent (1/3/2017) 90% was 227.

Before receiving firmware update
8.0.2.50.114 - on 12/24/2016, over the air, my usual 90% was 225, sometimes 226. This jumped to 227 immediately and has remained there since. Don't know why this happened, but if it means I have lost no battery capacity after almost 10,000 miles, then I'm happy.

P85D-L delivered May 28, 2015. 90% at delivery was 227 miles. Current odometer is 9877 miles. Most recent (1/3/2017) 90% was 227.

8.0.2.50.114 - on 12/24/2016, over the air, my usual 90% was 225, sometimes 226. This jumped to 227 immediately and has remained there since. Don't know why this happened, but if it means I have lost no battery capacity after almost 10,000 miles, then I'm happy.

Interesting. My P85D 90% sat at 221 for the last year+ and after the December update went to 223. Little doubt they've been tweaking the estimated range algo.

My P85, when new, claimed 265 rated miles at 100% and 240 at 90%. Over the next 18 months or so, the range displayed at 90% charge kept slowly dropping down, from 240 to 233.

However, with a firmware update several months ago (in 7.1 something), the reported 90% range went back up to 239 and has held steady at 238 since then.

I haven't taken the time to measure whether I'm actually getting 6 more miles of range. I'm sure the estimated range algorithm has gotten more accurate over the past 2 years. But it's an estimate, so it's possible that it errs on the side of not wanting to alarm customers, who would see this number dropping but wouldn't otherwise notice slight battery degradation. There are variable factors which affect how many kW are used per mile; things like cold temperature and wind and running the A/C constantly on hot days are going to cut down the range in a more tangible way.

They may just be devaluing a rated mile to get it to appear the same. Clearly, physically there will have to be some amount of capacity loss. What's being reported is a different story. I only have 6 miles more than you in my 90... So much for that extra 5kWh.

Good news... engineering identified the interface issue that caused my sudden range reduction, and they pushed a FW update to my car on Friday. I immediately recovered my prior range (232 rated miles at 90%, 256 rated miles at 100%). I am very pleased, considering I have only lost 9 miles of range (a little ver 3%) after 4 years and 38k miles.

Side benefit: I also received 3 new features with the update (2.50.114): automatic driver profiles, supercharger amenities, and 2 additional equalizer settings.