Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your 90%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm really confused. I've got an S70, which has done about 3.5k miles. When new, 100% was about 220mi and 90% was 198, which was what i expected.
However, 4 months in, the typical 90% is down to between 192 and 193 miles, which is disappointing.

Before I contact the Service Centre about this, does the typical on the instrument cluster depend on driving pattern/weather?

Thanks

I'm really confused. I've got an S70, which has done about 3.5k miles. When new, 100% was about 220mi and 90% was 198, which was what i expected.
However, 4 months in, the typical 90% is down to between 192 and 193 miles, which is disappointing.

Before I contact the Service Centre about this, does the typical on the instrument cluster depend on driving pattern/weather?

Thanks
No it doesn't depend on driving style although there is data to suggest that you get more rated miles in warmer weather than colder. You haven't lost that much so before you contact service try running your battery down below 10% and then do a full 100% charge. It should rebalance itself and you could pick up a couple of additional miles.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure how it is in the US, but we have 3 sets of numbers here in the UK
Rated (a high number which I never seem to get)
Estimate (I believe this is based on driving profile)
Typical (This is the reading I was referring to and while this is lower than the rated figure, I don't understand how they get to it)

I'll try running the battery to <10% and report back on here.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure how it is in the US, but we have 3 sets of numbers here in the UK
Rated (a high number which I never seem to get)
Estimate (I believe this is based on driving profile)
Typical (This is the reading I was referring to and while this is lower than the rated figure, I don't understand how they get to it)

I'll try running the battery to <10% and report back on here.

Thanks
We have "rated" and "ideal". Ideal is essentially unachievable.

We have "rated" and "ideal". Ideal is essentially unachievable.
Ideal miles seems like a ridiculous number to have. It's hard enough to achieve rated miles although it is at least possible under certain driving conditions. To me, ideal would be infinity miles, meaning I would never have to charge. It seems in the UK it is even more confusing with 3 different categories; rated, estimate, and typical. I am not sure if any of them are equivalent to US rated miles.

Ideal miles seems like a ridiculous number to have. It's hard enough to achieve rated miles although it is at least possible under certain driving conditions. To me, ideal would be infinity miles, meaning I would never have to charge. It seems in the UK it is even more confusing with 3 different categories; rated, estimate, and typical. I am not sure if any of them are equivalent to US rated miles.
Right but we do have "projected" in the Energy App which is probably the most accurate.

Right but we do have "projected" in the Energy App which is probably the most accurate.
Yes, I forgot about projected miles on the energy App. For my 70D it is a little optimistic since it uses about 290 Wh/mi for rated miles, which is where the solid line shows up on the graph. In actuality, my rated miles go at about 260 Wh/mi. I don't use the energy App since I have never driven far enough that range is a problem. When I do go for longer drives on the freeways, I usually get about rated range mileage, so it works out well.

I have an S85 delivered 2/2013 with 64K miles on it. My 90% and 100% rated miles numbers have steadily dropped to a consistent 216 and 240 miles, respectively. A year ago I was getting 220/246, two years ago 225/250. I usually charge to 80%, sometimes 90%, and rarely 100%. My service center has tested my battery a couple of times and both times said my battery was working "within specification." At what point would the battery considered to be out of specification? They never answered this.

• Informative
Reactions: Benjamin Brooks
I have an S85 delivered 2/2013 with 64K miles on it. My 90% and 100% rated miles numbers have steadily dropped to a consistent 216 and 240 miles, respectively. A year ago I was getting 220/246, two years ago 225/250. I usually charge to 80%, sometimes 90%, and rarely 100%. My service center has tested my battery a couple of times and both times said my battery was working "within specification." At what point would the battery considered to be out of specification? They never answered this.
I have the same question as you. For the last year at 90% it has shown 226 miles and at 100% 253 miles consistently on my 2012 P85. Then 4 days ago it dropped to 210 at 90% and 240 at 100% at once. I tried to re-balance. I dropped into a super charger with 7 left. It showed it would take 2 hrs and 20 min to get to 100%. So I moved to a different stall and it now said 1 hr and 40 min. Later at 188 miles charge the charger stopped. It took 20 min for it to reset itself. It started charging again but after another hr passed it was only to 233. I finally gave up being there so long. So much for fast charging at a SC. it certainly didn't charger to 80% in 40 min. Those days are over lol. I will have to try again to re-balance batteries.

• Informative
Reactions: Benjamin Brooks