Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your 90%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an S85 delivered 2/2013 with 64K miles on it. My 90% and 100% rated miles numbers have steadily dropped to a consistent 216 and 240 miles, respectively.

My Feb 2013-build S 85 with A-pack currently gets 221 @ 90% and 248 @ 100%. I have about 77,000 miles on the clock. When new I got 265 @ 100%. These are all with Range Mode off.

I've been as low as 215 @ 90%, but that was many firmware releases ago. The numbers seem to fluctuate (for some) across firmware updates, and I have noticed a few miles up or down after a long road trip. I will also see a few more miles with Range Mode on.

My car's range dropped precipitously in the first 6-8 months (freaking me out!) and then really leveled off. I've been at or around the above numbers for almost 3 years now.

• Informative
Reactions: Benjamin Brooks
I have the same question as you. For the last year at 90% it has shown 226 miles and at 100% 253 miles consistently on my 2012 P85. Then 4 days ago it dropped to 210 at 90% and 240 at 100% at once. I tried to re-balance. I dropped into a super charger with 7 left. It showed it would take 2 hrs and 20 min to get to 100%. So I moved to a different stall and it now said 1 hr and 40 min. Later at 188 miles charge the charger stopped. It took 20 min for it to reset itself. It started charging again but after another hr passed it was only to 233. I finally gave up being there so long. So much for fast charging at a SC. it certainly didn't charger to 80% in 40 min. Those days are over lol. I will have to try again to re-balance batteries.

I'm sorry to say that what you are experiencing is not a balancing issue. You most likely have one or more failed battery modules and you should call Tesla to have your car inspected by service ASAP. The type of range loss you describe is way beyond anything that would be seen with a balancing issue.

Reactions: msnow
I'm sorry to say that what you are experiencing is not a balancing issue. You most likely have one or more failed battery modules and you should call Tesla to have your car inspected by service ASAP. The type of range loss you describe is way beyond anything that would be seen with a balancing issue.
Yikes. That is what I suspected also. I made an appointment for this morning at 8am. Crossing my fingers they solve the issue.

IMG_0036.jpg
IMG_0035.jpg
My 90% range has been conistently 232 miles for the past year. Last week my 12 volt battery was replace, and the 2 charging cycles since indicated 208 and 210 miles after 90% charge. Does 12v replacement result in loss of battery capacity data? Perhaps I need to go through a deep discharge and full recharge cycle...

Based on my experience that is not normal. I would contact service and ask them. Sounds like something else might be going on.

Well, I contacted Tesla service a couple weeks ago. Their first response, after engineering looked into the problem, was that everything looked normal - they said the logs indicated little or no change. So, the next time I charged to 90% resulting in 210 miles of rated range (range mode on), I sent pictures. The latest update from a few days ago is they are investigating it again. The attached photos are from last night's charging, still no improvement.

Unfortunately this ~10% reduced range now necessitates a charging stop for a frequent round trip I make... and again, this was an immediate drop from 232 to 210 miles, coincident with my last service visit at the end of Nov. I will post an update once I hear back from service.

224 miles at 90%, finished charging this morning. I hit 90k miles last week!
Range mode was off. It usually adds 2 or 3 when I turn on range mode.

I should hit 100k miles early May 2017, maybe even April.
Just a few more months to go and I can conclude I made the right choice not getting the Extended Service Agreement!

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
This is my new November 2016 built Tesla Model S 60D with software limited 75 battery. Right now outside the car it is 46ºF. I just charged it up to 90% right now; it finished right before I took this screen shot.
IMG_5440.jpg

In case you can't read the picture and/or are not accustomed to Remote S formatting (great app for iPhone (and Apple Watch)):

Odometer: 1,617.9 miles
Complete: 90% (state of charge of battery)
Estimated: 132 miles (I don't know what this means)
Rated: 198 miles (I believe this is the same as what car displays on its displays)
Ideal: 247 miles (the only time I got close to ideal I actually exceeded it, because I was at 0% and didn't want to be stuck in the dark on a freeway in a bad part of town in 32º weather -- so, in other words, "ideal" is bogus and useless, from both perspectives of "extreme" and "usual")
Inside: 58º F
Notice that there is a line at top that says "Charge 90%"; that is the target, not the present amount. The present charge level is at the bottom left. Both happen to be equal as of this picture.

Last edited:
P100D 550 miles 90% = 286miles rated. Range mode off.
P85DL 34,500 miles 90% = 225 rated Range mode off.

For the P100D, are you getting 286 consistently or is that a peak number? How are you charging when you get that number (14-50, supercharger, J1772, etc.).

I've seen numbers ranging from 282 to 284 on my car, although I've only had it a week (270 miles on the odo). I've only charged the car on my J1772 EVSE so far, which charges at 20 mph.

I just heard from the service center. Taking out my pack to send to Fremont to correct modules that failed.

Reactions: AmpedRealtor
I just heard from the service center. Taking out my pack to send to Fremont to correct modules that failed.

Glad you got it resolved! :) What surprises me is that when something like this happens, Tesla cannot diagnose this through the logs or the car cannot diagnose itself and put up a "car needs service" alert. Seems like a glaring omission.

Reactions: ArtInCT
Glad you got it resolved! :) What surprises me is that when something like this happens, Tesla cannot diagnose this through the logs or the car cannot diagnose itself and put up a "car needs service" alert. Seems like a glaring omission.
I agree. Software should recognize the severe voltage drop and alert driver or Tesla. To make it up to me they can feel free to upgrade me to a 100 pack limited to 85 lol

Reactions: ArtInCT