Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your 90%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes 70 plus however much the buffer is

You may have to argue with Tesla Service, but something is wrong with your battery. That sounds like 1 or more modules are out.

There are threads here on the forum of people who saw unusual degradation like you have. They took it into service and initially were told they were unlucky and it was just unusually bad degradation, but when they got Tesla to actually do some diagnostics they found something had gone bad in the battery and got it fixed under warranty.

• Informative
Reactions: jrad6515
You may have to argue with Tesla Service, but something is wrong with your battery. That sounds like 1 or more modules are out.

There are threads here on the forum of people who saw unusual degradation like you have. They took it into service and initially were told they were unlucky and it was just unusually bad degradation, but when they got Tesla to actually do some diagnostics they found something had gone bad in the battery and got it fixed under warranty.
Thanks, they all keep saying normal, normal, normal. I'm trying to decide if we want to trade it and get a Model X or keep it and add a Model X.

It has to go in for another leaking Pano roof, what do I need to tell them to look for so they actually check the right stuff instead of brushing me off as usual?

Thanks, they all keep saying normal, normal, normal. I'm trying to decide if we want to trade it and get a Model X or keep it and add a Model X.

It has to go in for another leaking Pano roof, what do I need to tell them to look for so they actually check the right stuff instead of brushing me off as usual?

I think this needs to be escalated beyond the local service center. I'm not sure the best way to do that. Possibly Bonnie here on the forum might know. She seems to know how to get answers out of Tesla when nobody else does.

Reactions: Kacey Green
2018 ☰ LR
2/16/18 90% 282 @620miles
3/23/18 90% 280.59 @2939.598miles
4/7/18 100% 313.92 @3824.724miles
View attachment 297713

2017 MS75
3/18/18 90% 215 @25000miles
3/31/18 90% 215.18 @25593.867miles
4/7/18 100% 239.93 @25957.068miles
View attachment 297712

2018 ☰ LR
2/16/18 90% 282 @620miles
3/23/18 90% 280.59 @2939.598miles
4/7/18 100% 313.92 @3824.724miles
5/29/18 90% 281.86 @7526.931miles

I had a main battery replacement on my 2013 S. I got the same battery here in Norway now! The invoice says so, havent seen it yet. Struggle to find time to pick it up this week.
So I am getting a refurbished 85 battery then?

So they actually replaced the entire pack, rather than loaning me one while mine is rebuilt.

I was told it was "New". I asked twice about that, as I expected a refurb. I was told new.

Invoice, however, says:
ASSY,HV BATTERY,S3BB,REMAN,MDLS
(1088815-01-D)

So I suspect service folks simply meant it wasn't a rebuild of mine.

It does appear to be a D-pack however. My previous was a "-B" pack.

Charging it to 90% now to see what it does...

Posted June 7th 2018.

Have a 2016 refresh S75D upgraded from a S70D. 90% was about 236 mi once upgraded. Have 92,000 on the clock in less than two years (yes I drive a ton!) Lots of east coast and mid-west trips. The 90% had dropped to about 212 mi and slow supercharging. Service center indicated that a couple of modules were reporting issues and they sent my pack to be rebuilt. Currently on a loaner 75 that reports 239 at 90%.

My car is now 2 years old. Took delivery on D-Day 2016.

On day 1 my 90% was 269 miles. Just checked in the garage a minute ago and it's 269 miles. I got very lucky in the battery department! It goes down a few miles in the winter, but comes back to 268-269 in the spring.
What's the lowest you've taken your battery down to? I took delivery on Pearl Harbor Day (12/7/16) and my 90% was 263-265 (winter to summer) up until April 2018 when I had around 12000 miles. I drove it down to 8% once (strong winds on a road trip) at 13000 miles and then it only showed 262 at 90%. Now a couple of months later, it's only 258 at 16000 miles. Originally, I thought I got very lucky as well since my 90% didn't change for a year and a half. Now I'm wondering if maybe it just hadn't balanced itself so it kept showing the original 263-265. I suppose I should try taking it down really low again and then charge it up to see if it makes any difference.

Pre-refresh Dec 2015 70D, after 2.5 yrs 26,400km
My latest 90% charge = 346km Rated (i.e. 215mi) = same as day 1 - I’ve only seen the 90% vary by at most +/- a couple kms
Nov 2015 prefacelift S70. Just rolled over 20,000 miles. My 90% today is 218 miles. No noticeable degradation from day one (216 miles at 90%, which is the lowest, versus highest 90% at 220).

What's the lowest you've taken your battery down to? I took delivery on Pearl Harbor Day (12/7/16) and my 90% was 263-265 (winter to summer) up until April 2018 when I had around 12000 miles. I drove it down to 8% once (strong winds on a road trip) at 13000 miles and then it only showed 262 at 90%. Now a couple of months later, it's only 258 at 16000 miles. Originally, I thought I got very lucky as well since my 90% didn't change for a year and a half. Now I'm wondering if maybe it just hadn't balanced itself so it kept showing the original 263-265. I suppose I should try taking it down really low again and then charge it up to see if it makes any difference.
I took delivery of my MS90D in December 2016. I was not showing a drop until around 8K miles. At the time of the drop I was driving down to < 10% then Supercharging. I did this once a week. I noticed each week I lost 1 RM. After a while I figured out if it hurts then STOP! Since they I've kept it >30%. It has been about 9 months and in that time I've not lost any RM.

You could say I've lost RMs, but don't see it since it is not rebalancing. I believe either driving down < 10% or SCing from this low level, and the resulting heat build up, is bad for the battery. Particularly for the 90 series with its new chemistry. If at all possible I will never take my battery below 20% again.

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I took delivery of my MS90D in December 2016. I was not showing a drop until around 8K miles. At the time of the drop I was driving down to < 10% then Supercharging. I did this once a week. I noticed each week I lost 1 RM. After a while I figured out if it hurts then STOP! Since they I've kept it >30%. It has been about 9 months and in that time I've not lost any RM.

You could say I've lost RMs, but don't see it since it is not rebalancing. I believe either driving down < 10% or SCing from this low level, and the resulting heat build up, is bad for the battery. Particularly for the 90 series with its new chemistry. If at all possible I will never take my battery below 20% again.
Due to the spacing of Superchargers that I use, I often have to take it down to 15% - 20%. I was surprised when I did the drive and got down to 8% but it was really windy that day. I did the same drive a week later and arrived with about 22% on the same stretch.

I think I've been down to about 10% on a road trip. I don't remember exactly. I rarely run it down much. We've made a few day trips where the remaining range got under 100 miles, but day to day it rarely gets below 200 miles remaining. I occasionally charge to 95%. I notice the 90% goes up a mile or two for a few days afterwards. That may be artificial though.

One thing that bugged me a bit was the life of the original tires. I replaced them last week and they had less than 16K on them. I was planning on nursing them through the summer, there were a few thousand miles of tread left, but I got a bad flat two weeks ago. The tire place was able to put a plug in, but it was large enough they though it might only hold a few weeks, or it could hold a year. The guy who fixed it couldn't say. I went from the OEM Goodyears to Michelin MXM4s. I was concerned about range loss with the new tires, but it's only about 5% or less.

I've heard from others on a tire thread that the Michelins tend to last longer.

With the worn tires I was getting rated range or better almost every trip. With the new tires getting rated range is a little tougher, but it is possible. Because of that, I think the car's reporting is probably pretty close to reality.

Due to the spacing of Superchargers that I use, I often have to take it down to 15% - 20%. I was surprised when I did the drive and got down to 8% but it was really windy that day. I did the same drive a week later and arrived with about 22% on the same stretch.
Do you follow KmanAuto on YouTube? He has a 90D and regularly reports his RM. He is now at 270 RM for 100% charge (works out to 243 at 90%) at 55K miles. He drives a lot and uses SC a lot. He often complains at how quickly his mileage has dropped. I mentioned to him, if he was up to an experiment, to try keeping his RMs > 30%, if possible, and see what happens. He never replied.

Last edited:
Do you follow KmanAuto on YouTube? He has a 90D and regularly reports his RM. He is now at 270 RM for 100% charge (works out to 243 at 90%) at 55K miles. He drives a lot and uses SC a lot. I mentioned to him, if he was up to an experiment, to try keeping his RMs > 30%, if possible, and see what happens. He never replied.
I've seen some of his videos, including the ones where he talks about his battery degradation. I think his is slightly older than mine and he has one of the first 90 kWh batteries. I've seen the ranges on those older 90 kWh batteries is a lot worse than later 90 kWh batteries. Honestly, I wasn't concerned about mine for the first year and a half since my 90% rated range hadn't changed at all. Then right around 13000, just shy of a year and a half, I saw the 1% degradation and didn't mind too much. Fast forward another month and 3000 more miles and it's down another 1% or more. I'll keep my eye on it but not too concerned just yet.

I've seen some of his videos, including the ones where he talks about his battery degradation. I think his is slightly older than mine and he has one of the first 90 kWh batteries. I've seen the ranges on those older 90 kWh batteries is a lot worse than later 90 kWh batteries. Honestly, I wasn't concerned about mine for the first year and a half since my 90% rated range hadn't changed at all. Then right around 13000, just shy of a year and a half, I saw the 1% degradation and didn't mind too much. Fast forward another month and 3000 more miles and it's down another 1% or more. I'll keep my eye on it but not too concerned just yet.
Seems in general all cars eventually degrade about 5%, then it flattens out... My car is now coming up on it's 5th birthday, almost 90k miles, and it's been at about 5% total degradation for the last 40k miles or so.

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker