Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your home charging setup?

What's your home charging setup?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just ordered our X and am now looking to get an electrician out to setup the needed 240 port. My wife will be driving the SUV the most so I don't want to worry about her having load and unload the mobile charger but is that really needed?

Your help and advice would be appreciated.

Just ordered our X and am now looking to get an electrician out to setup the needed 240 port. My wife will be driving the SUV the most so I don't want to worry about her having load and unload the mobile charger but is that really needed?

Your help and advice would be appreciated.
If you ordered 72a charger, it will be worthwhile to get the HPWC. It comes with its own cable and so you don't have to worry about putting the mobile charger cable back in the car when going on a trip. For most of daily commute, you will likely not need the mobile charger in the car. Keep the J1772 adapter in the car as most ChargePoint stations will need that not your mobile charger.

In case you are wondering, I installed the Tesla Wall Connector (latest version) mainly because of the perceived advantages of using it outdoors versus a simple 240 V outlet plus the UMC -- namely, built-in safety circuits (important in my condo setting with a quasi-public parking lot), integral cable (no separate cables/devices that could walk away or would need storage), and what other owners reported as more rugged construction than the UMC.
My setup is unusual, I think, in that it is on an entirely separate 100 amp service with its own meter, necessitated by my parking space location far from my condo. (Details will be in a forthcoming post.)

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and air2high
I leave my UMC connected to 14-50 outlet, and put it in the car only for trips. (I also carry a CHadeMO adapter in Tesla).

Last month I went to Orlando (about 600 mi.) to visit daughter & her family. When I got there, I realized I had forgotten my UMC (still plugged up in the garage); but I was able to find all kinds of other charging options (supercharger, CHadeMO, J1772, etc.) around the area, so it was not an issue. (This is not yet the case everywhere, so it's important to remember to bring that cable along on trips - or buy a spare and keep that in the car).

I have two UMCs and use one permanently for charging at home. Hehehe, actually have the Tesla cord organizer, and a bike water bottle holder that holds the weight of the UMC perfectly - works great!

Keep the other UMC in car, also a heavy duty extension/long cord just in case ever need that would work with a 110, and have the CHadeMO as well but have only used twice - but good assurance to have for a fast charge at some spots still.

Reactions: Alketi
I have a NEMA 14-50 installed in my garage and my UMC plugged in all the time, with a $25 Tesla cord accessory to neatly hang the UMC cable. Only once did I need to pack the UMC for a 1,200 mile road trip - ironically I never even used it on the trip, since I found charging options readily available.

If you have a garage and don't have an unusual setup at home, sticking with the UMC is a viable option. I personally don't know any owners that "need" a HPWC for the increased charging rate. However there will always be those who prefer it for the design and form factor for outdoor setup.

For the first ~ 6 months of ownership, I depended on a shared J1772 charger in an apartment. I don't drive much, and could get away with weekly charging. But it was still a pain.

Then I got my own place, but had easy access to a 5-15 only. I was able to use a custom-made 14-30-to-10-30 extension to charge faster, but it was pretty inconvenient. I, luckily, had the 10-30 adapter for the UMC. This is also the setup I have to use when visiting family.

Just a few weeks ago, I finally had a 14-50 installed in the garage. Feels like a real luxury. I need to bring UMC with me when I travel. So about once a month, I have to unplug it.

Reading others answers, as well as these forums for a while, I think charging needs are amazingly diverse. Some require nightly, high power charging. Others can live on 5-15 without too much trouble (I could). I guess it really shouldn't be surprising, since we all have such different driving patterns.It's fun reading about it.

I have 3 EVs: S, X, and a Volt. I'm on a TOU plan with a separate meter for the cars that provides ~$.05/kWh between 1a-5a.

Both the S and the X have high amperage charging enabled (dual on S, 72A on the X). I have two "old" HPWCs on 100A breakers, and the S and the X are plugged in whenever they are in the garage. We use scheduled charging at 1am.

The Volt uses a clipper creek CS-25 plugged into a 14-50 that is wired to our house meter. The Volt is our kid commute car, which drives ~32 miles round trip, twice a day. Because it has a small battery, we have to charge it mid-day and overnight, making the TOU option more expensive. Yes, I could wire a transfer switch, but I would never recoup the investment. Besides, the Volt will be replaced with an M3, at which point I will move the 14-50 to the TOU meter, or install a third HPWC. I will need to dial down the amperage to fit all three within 200A, or use a load-shed/balance mechanism. The UMCs stay in the car for the occasional on the road outlet charging.

To make this all work I had to upgrade our service to 600A, and install a 200A panel in the garage for the EVs. I have a second panel in the garage which is on a 135A breaker as a sub to one of my house panels where our solar system is fed, the Volt, and a few other misc circuits.

Supporting multiple EVs with a small TOU window (4 hours) is a PITA. The graphs showing the house using >45kW overnight is amusing, though.

Last edited: