Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your next EV after Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not going to know until that time comes... likely not for another 5yrs or so when my 2017 Prime is up for replacement.

When the time comes to replace a car I have little brand loyalty. it plays a factor, but not a major one. First is requirements. what do I want my car to do? Then I whittle down to 5 or so car models. It's at that point that my perception of the brand comes into play along with the minor price differences.

To be honest, Toyota/Lexus have impressed me the most over the years. Tesla is in the middle. That doesn't mean I won't buy a Tesla again, it just means if my requirements are all met by both a Toyota and a Tesla and all other things are equal, I'd get the Toyota.

I like to keep my cars for 10yrs before getting a new one, so it's hard for me to say. I've only had my Model Y for a year, I may feel differently about Tesla in a few years (for better or worse).

Good point. I am glad we are not in the market for a car today. Still, I wouldn't know what to get honestly if we were to get another EV. The Y is so well-rounded yet I wouldn't want to have two exact cars. My choices would be at polar ends of the spectrum as I'd consider either a Taycan 4S or a base Model 3. Our YLR would serve as the trip car so the second EV wouldn't necessarily need greater range, and current slate of EV offerings is still not enough to sway me away from Tesla (aside from the Porsche).

EDIT: Macan EV would also be appealing, once it becomes available.

I love the look of the Macan. If I had to buy a new EV today, the first thing I'd look at is a Model Y with plans of bigger tires and a lift kit :)

I have a Rivian preorder at the original price. I'm not a cybertruck buyer. I'm more likely to sell my MY in 18 months if that cars resale stays up and if EV makers remain battery constrained. Rivian should have been priced with the Model X. I'm willing to benefit from Rivian's mistake.

I like my Model Y a lot. But I'm primarily a truck/truck based SUV buyer. Lightning is too big. Cybertruck is too aggressive for me. Rivian was under-priced and is the right size. I don't particularly like the Rivian front, but everthing else is great.

If I do trade in 2023 I will miss the Model Y. I certainly would buy Tesla again, despite how disorganized they are in some areas of service and support. I recently had an ICE rental for a few weeks which was adequate. But returning to the MY I appreciate Tesla all over again.

Good thread.

I'm not an EV owner yet but when my wife needs a replacement car in a few years yet I'll have many options. At this moment I like the Cadillac Lyriq and the Model Y. For the home family car the network doesn't matter and frankly sounds like a bit of a PITA.

For me, I'll need a truck and would like to own one with a range entend-er ideally for family vacations. So that makes the Stellantis (Ram) appealing. Design wise, I think the CT is pretty darn cool however and I find it more practical appearing (i.e. interior space, range, durability, lockable bed) than more traditional looking trucks.

Any EV cargo van with an EPA range over 225 miles.
Hoping my Canoo preorders turn into actual vehicles, will immediately sell my MYLR, quite happily. And I hope this happens before the used Tesla market crashes after TX production ramps up and order times decrease.
I wish Brightdrop would return my emails....
I have a CT preorder just in case.
I had a look at the Canoo after reading your post...I’m not sure I like it...I mean, if you were behind it in traffic you wouldn’t know if you were following it or it was coming straight at you 😱

Any EV cargo van with an EPA range over 225 miles.
Hoping my Canoo preorders turn into actual vehicles, will immediately sell my MYLR, quite happily. And I hope this happens before the used Tesla market crashes after TX production ramps up and order times decrease.
I wish Brightdrop would return my emails....
I have a CT preorder just in case.
LOL, I forgot my Canoo pre-order as well. We will see if that really happens.!

Reactions: FumelessCamper
If there is an “after” Tesla, it will depend largely on what the market looks like in 5-10 years when I’m shopping for another car.
Yeah, pretty much. Today, if I were buying, I'd be looking something like a Mach-e or Taycan, depending on how rich I'm feeling. But right now I have no interest in changing cars or giving up the Supercharger network.

Reactions: Johnny Vector