Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your next EV after Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: Suns_PSD
Reactions: msee67
The Tesla interior has sort of ruined me on old-school, button and knob centric, interiors.
By ruined, do you mean you no longer like the "old school button and knob interiors"? When my best friend became an early adopter of the M3 5 years ago, I thought that I would hate the minimalist design and the everything-thru-center-screen approach. But when I bought my '21 MYLR, I found myself loving it on the first day. There is no learning curve. And it felt so liberating to be a part of the change rather than holding onto the old. I'm fortunate that my MY hasn't been in the SC at all in 10 months, and I didn't need to drive my backup car (hybrid) that has all the physical buttons you can think of.

I too have a Cybertruck on order. Not sure if I will get it or not. But my wife wants and EV so that will be our next one. She would prefer a sporty 2-door coupe or convertible, which doesn't seem to be on anyone's radar yet. Although she did say that maybe she'd get a M3 and have it wrapped rose gold.... :cool:

And that means what? It seems to me you're trying to imply agendas here and its not welcome.
No, it's a good thing. The sad fact is most people aren't willing to make even the most minor sacrifice to stop the world from burning if they don't see the effects immediately. (And a substantial fraction not even then.) Our only hope lies in making it clear that a carbon-free future is better all around. So it's good to see that happening.

The Tesla interior has sort of ruined me on old-school, button and knob centric, interiors.
I'm the exact opposite. I wrangle with the new environment controls every time I drive. I miss the old UI layout (Version 7). I'm constantly fighting the NAV now. I hate how they've messed up supercharging. (25 minutes to continue the trip, or did I miss that and we're now 25 minutes to hit full and we're just wasting time? No easy way to tell anymore.)
My next car of any kind must have physical controls for important functions and an interface that won't be changed and degraded over time. If none of the new cars have that, I guess I'm in the market for 1987 Camry.

Reactions: SalisburySam
No, it's a good thing. The sad fact is most people aren't willing to make even the most minor sacrifice to stop the world from burning if they don't see the effects immediately. (And a substantial fraction not even then.) Our only hope lies in making it clear that a carbon-free future is better all around. So it's good to see that happening.
I disagree. They'll make minor sacrifices. What constitutes minor varies by person.

I agree with everything you said, I was actually looking at the X5e as a compromise but I think I want all electric. It'll be even more enticing if it offers the $7,500 tax rebate.
I had a 2018 X5 40e. Would not recommend. Yes nice closing doors (got the soft close) but all sorts of electrical issues --had to plug in all the time for the 15 miles of e- range. Got better overall gas mileage than my Prius and was a solid hefty car but so far I'm waaaaaay happier with my Tesla Y...most of its electrical glitches work out on its own, didn't have to keep taking back to dealership for diagnostics and software upgrade... I think tax credit was around $5k but MSRP was higher than my Tesla but with discount maybe about the same. Also apple carplay and surround view didn't always work!!! I did test drive the 2021/2022 BMWs that were loaners since I was taking car in a lot towards the end and I would say the CarPlay and surround view was much improved in the more recent BMWs.

Cybertruck... but I am probably like 1,250,000th in line. By the time I get mine they will probably have the build quality sorted and there will be a healthy assortment of aftermarket accessories. Not in any rush, my 2007 Tacoma has 260k miles on it and I can probably get 500k miles if I keep the maintenance up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Suns_PSD
I've already ordered a Model 3 to go with the Model Y, so it will be a while before I'm in the market for anything new. I was really hoping for something more along the lines of the cybertruck/Rivian. However they just aren't ready and I'm not waiting for the next few years to get one of those. Maybe in 5 years there will be many more options in a more rugged electric vehicle.

I'm the exact opposite. I wrangle with the new environment controls every time I drive. I miss the old UI layout (Version 7). I'm constantly fighting the NAV now. I hate how they've messed up supercharging. (25 minutes to continue the trip, or did I miss that and we're now 25 minutes to hit full and we're just wasting time? No easy way to tell anymore.)
My next car of any kind must have physical controls for important functions and an interface that won't be changed and degraded over time. If none of the new cars have that, I guess I'm in the market for 1987 Camry.
My first car was an 87 Camry 5MT. It was a rust bucket, but was more fun to drive then it had any right to. I still kinda miss it. And yes, it had far better climate controls then V11 :)

Reactions: kavyboy
6 months ago.. my answer would have been a used 2021 Porsche Taycan.
1 month ago.. my answer would have been a new 2022 Model Y Performance.
Right now.. my answer is the exact same car I owned for the past year.. my 2021 MYSR.

The recent price increases.. and the increase in price of practically everything (but especially cars) has me sitting on the fence. And probably for a while. I honestly not really interested in any vehicle.. new or used.. due to current market pricing. There has never been a better time.. to keep driving what you already have.. "until the wheels fall off". :)

If a new Model Y is now almost $70k. Expect a new Cybertruck is going to start at $100k.. at least for the first or so year of deliveries. Those people waiting on a $39k or $49k Cybertruck might as well be waiting for cars that fly.

Dealers asking 7K above MSRP is what drove me away from the Hyundai Ioniq 5. After being disgusted by the greedy bloodsuckers. I ordered the Model 3 LR. I will save over $7,500 from what the Ioniq 5 would have cost me even after the Federal Rebate.

Reactions: DanDi58
For me, unless things change a bit, my next vehicle will probably not be a Tesla. I’ve enjoyed my M3LR RWD for over 3½ years but FOR ME the still-present apparently unsolvable phantom braking and ease with which driver controls are shifted and buried on the display have really turned me off. I found the touchscreen genuinely kewl when I first got it, until things started shifting around. Then, the kewlness quick wore off. Now I value real controls over virtual ones for all driving functionality and prefer displays for infotainment and non-driving functions.

But to answer the question directly, my desires for my next vehicle are these with a desired price point <$65k:
1- Hyundai Ioniq5 Limited, if I could find one I’d have it today. Test drove, liked it a lot.
2- Polestar3 when it comes out later this year. Test drove and like the Polestar2 but found it too claustrophobic for me.

If money was not at issue, I’ve be in the queue for an EQS. From the YouTube videos it is an amazing EV with what I would call appropriate trade-offs between hard controls and display with MB’s incredible quality in their high-end models. The only thing I might find “nicer” would be the upcoming 2023 Spectre EV.