Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your next EV after Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I still am contemplating selling my MYP and getting in line for the i4.

Is BMW on the cutting edge of EV development like Tesla? Nope. But at least they know how to build a car with a quieter cabin and doesn’t sound like a bucket of bolts.

There are days where I think going up in flames is preferable to hearing all the rattles and creaks my MYP delivers.
Wow, sorry to hear that about your Tesla. My MY AWD is rattle and squeek free 16 mo into ownership.

With Tesla pulling moves like removing radar before vision only is ready, I’m sadly considering other EVs sooner than later. I know other cars aren’t even as good with autopilot like capabilities, but the principle of regressing my cars functionality to worse than what I paid for, really rubs me the wrong way.

Tempting to get a BMW M4 Competition but I don’t want an ICE. The i4-m50 is CLOSE but I want something sportier in that price range. The model 3 ticked all the boxes for me, but now I’m thinking I’d enjoy some elevated build quality and interior comfort features.

BMW i4 M50. It would likely meet or exceed any requirements that I want and need from a performance electric vehicle. And would address many deficiencies with Tesla. Good build quality, solid materials, ride quality, technology, features, customer service, comparable real-world range, etc. About the only benefit Tesla would have is the charging network - which isn't super important to me, and will eventually be a non-issue. Tesla software updates are also nice, but only if you like using your car as a beta tester.

Nothing major against our Model Y (the wife likes it), but there are a lot of really great options out there now and especially in the near future.
The downside of the i4s is the long lead time for them 10-12 mo estimated today by my BMW sales associate. That seems to be the case with all EVs these days. I seriously considered an i4 40e but they dropped adaptive cruise control on the 40e and as of 1/1/23 the only BMW that will qualify for the fed tax credit will be the X5 45e (made in their Spartanburg SC plant).

I personally have an order in (as of 1/8/22) for a Mach e that will be built later this month and because I ordered it will be paying 2022 MSRP for it.

The downside of the i4s is the long lead time for them 10-12 mo estimated today by my BMW sales associate. That seems to be the case with all EVs these days. I seriously considered an i4 40e but they dropped adaptive cruise control on the 40e and as of 1/1/23 the only BMW that will qualify for the fed tax credit will be the X5 45e (made in their Spartanburg SC plant).

I personally have an order in (as of 1/8/22) for a Mach e that will be built later this month and because I ordered it will be paying 2022 MSRP for it.

I have an i4-40 on order for sometime in the distant future. I spent some time looking for a unicorn but gave up once the tax credit expired. Then Tesla moved my new M3 up from end of November to September 10. I then sold my 2018 Tesla M3 for a profit. I’m going to see if they bring back the DAPP and if my flimsy deposit rates a tax credit. By then I might love the new Tess too much.

I have an i4-40 on order for sometime in the distant future. I spent some time looking for a unicorn but gave up once the tax credit expired. Then Tesla moved my new M3 up from end of November to September 10. I then sold my 2018 Tesla M3 for a profit. I’m going to see if they bring back the DAPP and if my flimsy deposit rates a tax credit. By then I might love the new Tess too much.
Sorry to say your refundable deposit will not qualify you for the fed tax credit. That's been discussed endlessly on the Mach e and i4 forums.

I own an i4 now and it is a fantastic EV. Premium interior, premium audio, premium suspension. All better than Tesla (yes even the audio). The negative is that BMW removed DAPP from that trim and the eDrive40 (RWD) is priced liked the M3LR trim without the tax credit but honestly I don't need anything faster than 5.5secs in 0 to 60.

Sorry to say your refundable deposit will not qualify you for the fed tax credit. That's been discussed endlessly on the Mach e and i4 forums.
I am on the negative side as well, but its not earning any less interest in the my 'BMW' account than my checking account. The other possibility is that the Model 3 appreciates but considering the recent improvement in delivery times that is also unlikely I believe. The other possibility is I get a nice fat bonus and my kids have all moved out of the house and.....

Reactions: kindofblue
I’ve got an itch for a Volvo. The only Volvo BEVs right now are their small crossovers which felt cheap to me but if they come out with an S60 or V60 BEV I’ll be very tempted.

Their B&W stereos are one of the few comparable to the exceptional system in my Tesla. I need to try out their ADAS though, no idea how it compares to autopilot.

Reactions: pipestem
I ordered my new Model YLR 6 months after retiring and is supposed to be coming in the next month. I'm 67 yo and don't expect to need another car. I like the seat height for getting in and out of the car and enough room for travel and camping. The Model YLR is faster than any muscle car of my era and I feel the Model Y is extravagant for my needs. My "Greatest Generation" father drove a 1960 VW Beetle with no gas gauge or radio for 15 years and all I can hear is him rolling over in his grave for me buying a $70,000 automobile. Being happy with what you have really goes a long way.
BTW, dad retired at 58 and traveled for the next 38 years.

I ordered my new Model YLR 6 months after retiring and is supposed to be coming in the next month. I'm 67 yo and don't expect to need another car. I like the seat height for getting in and out of the car and enough room for travel and camping. The Model YLR is faster than any muscle car of my era and I feel the Model Y is extravagant for my needs. My "Greatest Generation" father drove a 1960 VW Beetle with no gas gauge or radio for 15 years and all I can hear is him rolling over in his grave for me buying a $70,000 automobile. Being happy with what you have really goes a long way.
BTW, dad retired at 58 and traveled for the next 38 years.
Same here on the beetle. My dad brought one back from Europe and we took many long trips in it. Had to carry gallons of water to pour in the chronically overheating motor. Good times but now wife and I really like traveling in our model 3.

I do have a fisker ocean on order and in the very low likelihood it gets produced and becomes serviceable that could be interesting.

Reactions: SalisburySam
With Tesla pulling moves like removing radar before vision only is ready, I’m sadly considering other EVs sooner than later. I know other cars aren’t even as good with autopilot like capabilities, but the principle of regressing my cars functionality to worse than what I paid for, really rubs me the wrong way.

Tempting to get a BMW M4 Competition but I don’t want an ICE. The i4-m50 is CLOSE but I want something sportier in that price range. The model 3 ticked all the boxes for me, but now I’m thinking I’d enjoy some elevated build quality and interior comfort features.
Why? Tesla Vision was just tested by NCAP to receive the highest score ever 98 in Safety Assist category, so it is better than what you had before with mix of radar and vision. Are you upset Tesla just made your car even safer?

Currently:
2020 M3SR+ (mine)
2020 Civic (hers)

On order definite:
MYLR (Nov-Dec)

Speculative orders placed:
Cybertruck
F150 Lightning
Canoo (lifestyle and pickup)
Blazer EV 2LT
Maybe a Bolt for her to replace Civic

Not sure which one of the speculative orders we’ll follow through with. They’re all $100 refundable deposits.
All this for you and she only gets Civic or Bolt?! 😂

Reactions: cdub and pipestem