Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your predicted loyalty to Tesla whenever replacing current car?

Whenever you replace current Tesla you anticipate...

• ...getting another Tesla!

Votes: 198 57.1%
  • ...moving on to a different EV, such as Porsche or Audi.

Votes: 127 36.6%
  • ...returning to the world of ICE!

Votes: 22 6.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But as it so happens my 4.5 year old 100k+ mile car has gotten so slow and unreliable when supercharging due to Tesla’s constant meddling and super aggressive taper that we didn’t even consider bringing it on our current ~2,000 mile road trip.
You make an interesting point. Tesla supercharger advantage starts fading as the car ages, in your case reaching "impractical to use" stage at 4.5 years of age.

For me personally EA already has reached higher deployment than Tesla did when I bought my first or even second Models, and there are already EA DC chargers on any routes I would want to drive to satisfy the Taycan or eTron charging requirements. I could do the same coast to coast trip in either one, like I made in my P85D in October 2016 (after Tesla finally added one last supercharger to make it possible without having to hunt for camping grounds with NEMA 14-50 and spend one night there).

But as it so happens my 4.5 year old 100k+ mile car has gotten so slow and unreliable when supercharging due to Tesla’s constant meddling and super aggressive taper that we didn’t even consider bringing it on our current ~2,000 mile road trip.
Just got back 2 days ago with my Jan 2017 S90D (almost 4.5 years old) on a 2,600 mile trip. Car has 61k miles on it. Average time at supercharger was about 20-30 minutes and only used Superchargers. No destination charging. So far so good. Extremely reliable. Maybe that will change once I reach 100k miles on it.

What model battery is yours?

Last edited:
Super early as I'm only 30 days on but I hope to move up from my Model S to an X at that point. For one, I hope a new X is more affordable but will go used as I have this time if they do a bunch of crazy stuff to change it that I might not like. I was open to going any EV if I liked it but definitely wanted a Model S. I admit I still am lusting over a couple of ICE cars I keep seeing on the road that were in my final 3 to decide from. But, ideally, I'd like to go to a MX after this.

Reactions: SmartElectric
Just got back 2 days ago with my Jan 2017 S90D (almost 4.5 years old) on a 2,600 mile trip. Car has 61k miles on it. Average time at supercharger was about 20-30 minutes and only used Superchargers. No destination charging. So far so good. Extremely reliable. Maybe that will change once I reach 100k miles on it.

What model battery is yours?
It’s a 75.

This is close to my own feelings. Owner of a 2015 Model S70D. I think the poll should have had an option for "Unknown until the time comes" or something like that. I checked "...different EV..." because of all the problems I have read about that are afflicting the newer owners, particularly continuing poor build quality and poor service. Fortunately, I have not personally experienced the poor build quality (my car was delivered before any Model X or 3 crush) and have always had satisfactory service experiences. I hope my car will continue to operate satisfactorily for several years. But I am leery of what will happen when my 8-year drive-train and battery warranty ends. I like the sound of the Raven models with their improved ride and efficiency, but fear that good used ones will be in short supply by the time I want one. I am extremely skeptical of the stalk-less steering column on the new Model S and X (if they ever materialize!), so I am unlikely to get one of those. (I have been driving for more years than most Tesla customers have been alive, so I am very much set in my ways. I expect the turn signal and wiper controls at my finger tips, and despair to think of how to erase so much muscle memory gained from hundreds of thousands of miles at the wheel with the tried-and-true arrangements.)
I suppose I sound pessimistic, and I am indeed, for Tesla. Musk has his uncountable billions, and his successful Space-X is well on the way towards his goal of reaching for Mars, so I am not sure he much cares for anything else, or he'd have "fixed service" and QA by now. I think his sense of pride in the Tesla products has long ago left the Tesla factory floor.
And the competition is improving rapidly. I am impressed by the Porsches and even by the Mustang. By the time my car reaches age 8, there will no doubt be many EV options.
( Off topic) By the way, @ucmndd pointed this out to me and I confirmed with Tesla, it’s not a drive train warranty but rather a drive unit warranty. Out of the entire drive train assembly only the drive unit is covered under the 8 year warranty. I too was always under the impression it was the drive train warranty, but nope. In fact I could have sworn when I bought the first model s in 2014 the warranty said drive train, but now I can’t find it.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
( Off topic) By the way, @ucmndd pointed this out to me and I confirmed with Tesla, it’s not a drive train warranty but rather a drive unit warranty. Out of the entire drive train assembly only the drive unit is covered under the 8 year warranty. I too was always under the impression it was the drive train warranty, but nope. In fact I could have sworn when I bought the first model s in 2014 the warranty said drive train, but now I can’t find it.
Yea, there is a thread here somewhere where Tesla got even more creative with this and told a customer who had to have their drive unit replaced under warranty that the replacement required new drive unit gaskets which are not covered under warranty. Tesla is a very creative company, good for new product development, bad for customer support.

Yea, there is a thread here somewhere where Tesla got even more creative with this and told a customer who had to have their drive unit replaced under warranty that the replacement required new drive unit gaskets which are not covered under warranty. Tesla is a very creative company, good for new product development, bad for customer support.
I remember that thread, great way to retain a customer!

If I had to buy a new car today, it would be a Tesla. I love my car and I've never had problems with service.

I wouldn't call it loyalty though. If there was a better car for me out there, I'd take that one instead.

ICE is no longer an option for me. I'm starting to hate my gas powered motorcycle and every time I'm in a gas car I feel like Fred Flintstone.
FB_IMG_1621376636332.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: UncleCreepy
After 9 years of looking at the same car, meaning the 2012 looked mostly the same as the 2022, I think I'm finally Tesla'd out. I love the car, but have always been one that gets something new and different every 2-3 years. Tesla managed to keep me for 9 years, will be 10. No fault of Tesla, just ready for something different. Unless they come out with something new and exciting, with the Model S refresh being just a "refresh" rather than a redesign, my hopes for getting the "new car" excitement have waned if I got another one. I appreciate the 9-10 years of being in a class of our own. But, with viable competition out and more coming, time to try something different. Who knows though, could try it, hate it and return. But, after 9 years, I have to at least try.

After 9 years of looking at the same car, meaning the 2012 looked mostly the same as the 2022, I think I'm finally Tesla'd out. I love the car, but have always been one that gets something new and different every 2-3 years. Tesla managed to keep me for 9 years, will be 10. No fault of Tesla, just ready for something different. Unless they come out with something new and exciting, with the Model S refresh being just a "refresh" rather than a redesign, my hopes for getting the "new car" excitement have waned if I got another one. I appreciate the 9-10 years of being in a class of our own. But, with viable competition out and more coming, time to try something different. Who knows though, could try it, hate it and return. But, after 9 years, I have to at least try.
The new roadster looks pretty exciting. :)