Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When and how to get the $5000 refund?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Am I the only one that's surprised at the amount of people who believe they are entitled to a refund. I mean I buy lots of stuff first and pay a premium to have it first. This is just how things work. When Tesla reduced the price right after I bought mine. I didn't come online and cry foul. Neither did any of the other owners. Suck it up!
Screenshot_20181110-081627_Samsung Internet.jpg

Am I the only one that's surprised at the amount of people who believe they are entitled to a refund. I mean I buy lots of stuff first and pay a premium to have it first. This is just how things work. When Tesla reduced the price right after I bought mine. I didn't come online and cry foul. Neither did any of the other owners. Suck it up!View attachment 351440

I certainly agree. I would have never expected a refund in this situation. But the main point is that Elon offered it, the logistics are supposedly in motion, and I cannot pass that up with how much I still owe on this car.

I did receive a follow-up email, mainly because I requested it after being on the phone just to have some paper trail. I can post the email but I have to redact a bunch of information. I will post it soon.

I followed both the manage account escalate, and phone calls to same number.
manage account -escalate resulted in email from support extollin g virtues of FUSCing!
phone call resulted in "we're in utah, and don't have any info on this program?"
I related that tesla has communication gear, utah isn't significant, so if you can't start
the refund process for me, escalate me to someone who can. best he'd do is "open a case?"

manage account -escalate resulted in email from support extollin g virtues of FUSCing!
phone call resulted in "we're in utah, and don't have any info on this program?"
I related that tesla has communication gear, utah isn't significant, so if you can't start
the refund process for me, escalate me to someone who can. best he'd do is "open a case?"

Interesting. I guess it just depends on who you talk to. The guy I talked to knew about the refund and was very helpful. Maybe try calling again and hopefully get someone else? It’s weird that not everyone is getting the same result.

I certainly agree. I would have never expected a refund in this situation. But the main point is that Elon offered it, the logistics are supposedly in motion, and I cannot pass that up with how much I still owe on this car.

Elon had a twitter conversation with one person. There was never an official announcement from Tesla. Don't think you or anyone will get the refund that makes no sense to me.

if we held Elon to every Tweet, we would probably already be living in another world.

True. We'd all be raising family on Mars now if that's the case.

Reactions: Ludalicious
Elon had a twitter conversation with one person. There was never an official announcement from Tesla. Don't think you or anyone will get the refund that makes no sense to me.

True. We'd all be raising family on Mars now if that's the case.

Yes, but is it such a crime to pursue it? And if you read the email in this thread, and the phone conversation I had, from which I did receive a confirmation email, it seems that things are happening. Like I said, I never expected anything and don’t really believe any of us deserve a refund. But I, along with other owners, am exploring it.

Situation is a little different than on the S / X.

1) If you had your S/X delivered after the price change you would likely get the newest price (not true for P3D- buyers).
2) For S/X that's about a 3.5% difference off the base price of a VERY expensive car that had been out for a while vs a 7.25% price difference on the model 3 which is 1/2 the price and was only a couple months old for the very earliest deliveries (and weeks old for the majority of them).
3) You didn't have to reserve a model S/X 2 years in advance, and go through delivery hell to get your car only to have the price dropped for people WITHOUT reservations, days after, while you wait for you car to get back from service to fix delivery issues!
4) For the S/X They didn't say, hey all you people who bought (some feature) will get 5k back, but the rest of you can kick rocks. (Which is why people are angry).

I bought EAP instead of PUP because I was at the top of my purchasing price range (80k). If I had bought PUP I would be able to now buy EAP for like $500.... I don't even have my car back from the body shop fixing all of the issues on the due bill found during the delivery. So the whole you got the car sooner argument is also not valid.

In other words, the way this was done punishes people who had to wait on reservations for years and pisses off people because they will only give refunds to one group of people when 2 groups are affected the same. Also the people they are not giving the refunds to have a discontinued model and inferior car.

Track mode coming out only for PUP models is just salt in the wound, although it was expected. But now it feels like here's 5k and trackmode But those lowly P3D- suckers, we laugh at those idiots, they only purchased AWD+ for 11k haha.

Last edited:
Situation is a little different than on the S / X.
Track mode coming out only for PUP models is just salt in the wound, although it was expected. But now it feels like here's 5k and trackmode But those lowly P3D- suckers, we laugh at those idiots, they only purchased AWD+ for 11k haha.

They really need to do something for you with all your unhappiness. I was only in the same page, but this thread convinced me based on Tesla's prior history they only reward those with the top model....I had multiple nightmares prior to picking up that I should've ponied up for the brake package and only swapped it to literally last minute because a spare inventory car.

I'm glad I did.....

Reactions: MXWing

@davekr That's actually a really good sign. If you look earlier in this thread, you'll see I got the very same email extolling the virtues of FUSC. That's the one you need to reply to and restate that you still want the refund and that you are still willing to give up FUSC in exchange for it, and that they should send the check to XYZ address. That should be the end of it.

Reactions: CullinKin
@davekr That's actually a really good sign. If you look earlier in this thread, you'll see I got the very same email extolling the virtues of FUSC. That's the one you need to reply to and restate that you still want the refund and that you are still willing to give up FUSC in exchange for it, and that they should send the check to XYZ address. That should be the end of it.

unfortunately with the response I’ve gathered from tesla rep’s it feels like the beginning.

I’m just looking for affirmation & to be added to the list, so far it’s been a “go fish” response?

alright, now how about P3D- folks? :)

I got this reply from their support on Nov 7. P3D- owner. I responded back making my case why it's unfair to offer this only to P3D+ owners blah blah, but haven't heard back. In some other forums I've heard P3D- owners were confirmed a refund over the phone? Anybody else had the same experience?

"Thank you for contacting Tesla Support.

Tesla typically adjusts pricing as we find more efficiencies in manufacturing. In an effort to be transparent, we adjust the prices of our products to pass along the savings to our customers. This is in the spirit of continuous innovation and improvement.

Vehicles equipped with Performance Upgrades Package are eligible for this refund in exchange for Free, Unlimited Supercharging.

I have ensured that you do take benefit from Free, Unlimited Supercharging as an early adopter of Model 3 Performance. We hope you enjoy your Model 3 for all of the features you do have.

We thank you for your commitment to transitioning our planet to sustainable energy.

Sincerely,
Tesla Support"

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA