Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When do the 2023 Vins start showing up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since I am waiting for a MYLR delivery (red/black 19 Gemini no tow or FSD) With an order date of 11/10/21 I am fearful of being given a last of the 22VIN’s when a 2023 VIN would only be a couple weeks away. I went to a Tesla showroom here and asked when the changeover was. I was told Nov 15. Also told that if I got a late Oct or Nov EDD with a 2022VIN I would have the option of refusing the car and hope the next assignment is a 2023 VIN. But you can only do that once and if the next assigned car is a 2022 you must accept or cancel the order and reorder.

Since I am waiting for a MYLR delivery (red/black 19 Gemini no tow or FSD) With an order date of 11/10/21 I am fearful of being given a last of the 22VIN’s when a 2023 VIN would only be a couple weeks away. I went to a Tesla showroom here and asked when the changeover was. I was told Nov 15. Also told that if I got a late Oct or Nov EDD with a 2022VIN I would have the option of refusing the car and hope the next assignment is a 2023 VIN. But you can only do that once and if the next assigned car is a 2022 you must accept or cancel the order and reorder.
Okay, the showroom staff usually know less than people on this site. I'd take 11/15 with a grain of salt.

If you look at two cars that are identical, same options, same mileage, and one is a year newer, which one would Is worth more? If you buy a 2022 model y in Nov 2022 with a 2022 VIN, and some one else buys an identical model in Nov 2022 with a 2023 VIN, and you both keep them 4 years, and have similar mileage, which one is worth more? (2022 Tesla Model Y 28k miles, or 2023 Tesla Model Y, 28k miles, which is worth more?).

If you look at two cars that are identical, same options, same mileage, and one is a year newer, which one would Is worth more? If you buy a 2022 model y in Nov 2022 with a 2022 VIN, and some one else buys an identical model in Nov 2022 with a 2023 VIN, and you both keep them 4 years, and have similar mileage, which one is worth more? (2022 Tesla Model Y 28k miles, or 2023 Tesla Model Y, 28k miles, which is worth more?).
They're worth the same. used 2020 and 2021 Y's were selling as much as 2022 ones

Reactions: MrsWinterWheat
When I sold my 2018 Model 3 in 2021 before the prices went nuts, there was a clear difference in pricing between model years. Currently it doesn't make much difference, but as the market cools off a bit more, a 2023 will always be worth more than a 2022 for online trade-in sites and dealerships.

I got a leftover 2018 in March 2019, and Tesla gave me $500 off since it was old stock. In hindsight, I should've asked for more. I lost out on more than $500 due to the model year at the time I sold it.

When do we expect the 2023 vins to start showing up? I think it's usually around mid to late September, right?
Last year I got a 2022 VIN delivered on 11/23/21. It was manufactured on 11/07/21. I don’t know if it’s the same every year but it’s probably close. There will most likely not be a noticeable difference in early 2023 VINS (since Tesla doesn’t really make mods year to year but does so whenever a new part or feature is ready throughout the year) but it may help for resale down the line.

Tesla used to do model years based on calendar date but starting with the 2020 models, they started introducing them in the current year like every other car manufacturer. For model year 2020 and 2021 they introduced them in first week of October and then with 2022 it was first week of November.

2023 will probably be introduced again in the early October to early November timeframe.

I would assume the higher model year to appraise higher (given everything else is equal.) With that being said, if you ordered in 2021, you’re likely saving a sizable amount of money over someone buying one today as well (more than enough to offset model year depreciation.)

Last edited:
Reactions: ord3r
When do we expect the 2023 vins to start showing up? I think it's usually around mid to late September, right?
November starts the new model year for Tesla. Not September or October.
Model year differences are no longer as major as the early MY cars, now it's just incremental small features.
Not worth worrying about.

But if you're waiting on a MYP, there may be a move to the new chassis iteration - full 4680 structural battery packs and F+R megacasts.
This is purely my speculation, but there are Front castings being made in some quantity at Fremont, stored in racks outside the buildings.
Tesla doesn't do things for no reason, and 4680 production yields and volume are improving (although by how much, no one outside Tesla knows).
The MYP is relatively low volume, and Tesla may be willing to introduce the new chassis on it to justify a price increase and better differentiate the model.
MYLR is too high volume to support this, given the conflicting 4680 volume needs of the SEMI and CT coming soon.
Or maybe Fremont will just start making the MY-AWD as Austin has been doing. But those have not been available for public order. Yet. Maybe '23.....

Again, speculation, but based on close observation and Tesla's drive to sustain profitability - to pay for new factories, build more robots.... make good on some promises....
We won't be seeing price reductions until North American demand abates, which won't be very soon. You're still looking at 8 month wait times...

Reactions: bnsfengineer
All things being equal, if I was buying a used Model Y, I would prefer a 2023 model over a 2022 at the same price.

4 years from now (or whenever buyers of new Y’s decide to sell their cars), prospective buyers then will also prefer 2023 models over 2022 models (at the same price). More likely, the 2023 models will command a higher price than 2022 models then. It’s a pretty simple concept.

If I were buying new right now, I’d absolutely want a 2023 model given the small difference in timing.