Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When is strike reset?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's no reason for one since it's nearly impossible to get a strike (assuming proper use) with a properly functioning car, and they were just reset.
Well thatā€™s not true for me. Iā€™ve gotten two strikes because I rest my elbow on the door by the window and that didnā€™t put enough force on wheelā€¦ and when I drive on long stretches of highway I am not constantly checking the screenā€¦ I watching the road.

Well thatā€™s not true for me. Iā€™ve gotten two strikes because I rest my elbow on the door by the window and that didnā€™t put enough force on wheelā€¦ and when I drive on long stretches of highway I am not constantly checking the screenā€¦ I watching the road.
*Iā€™m watching the road

Eventually it will also beep at you for a good couple seconds before disengaging

There's no reason for one since it's nearly impossible to get a strike (assuming proper use) with a properly functioning car, and they were just reset.
I received two strikes without any warning. I had a hat on both times and am guessing the camera couldnā€™t see my eyes. There was no warning just the red warning and a strike. Stopped wearing hat and havenā€™t had any issues since

Reactions: MTOman and Jack Oak
I received two strikes without any warning. I had a hat on both times and am guessing the camera couldnā€™t see my eyes. There was no warning just the red warning and a strike. Stopped wearing hat and havenā€™t had any issues since
Iā€™ll have to try wearing a hat! And keep my video camera rolling.

Still searching for an elusive video - not a single one exists showing how strikes occur with full context.

That's what I thought too.
I got FSD beta on 6/4/22 and never got a forced disengagement/strike until this week when I had 2 in the past 3 days.
Both while on NoA (highway) and not on FSDb
Both times it happened I was slightly pressing the go pedal to "coast" rather than regen on the downside of an overpass.

That's what I thought too.
I got FSD beta on 6/4/22 and never got a forced disengagement/strike until this week when I had 2 in the past 3 days.
Both while on NoA (highway) and not on FSDb
Both times it happened I was slightly pressing the go pedal to "coast" rather than regen on the downside of an overpass.
So you got a counted strike?

Videos of these occurrences are in extremely high demand.

So you got a counted strike?

Videos of these occurrences are in extremely high demand.
Yes and with no warning. I ended up with 2 of these in 3 days so I'm on my last one.
I am afraid to lose FSD so for now I stopped using NoA or FSDB.

From now on I am going to engage it only if I am recording a video.
I really hope it doesn't happen again, but if it does and I end up in FSD jail, at least I will have video evidence.

Yes and with no warning. I ended up with 2 of these in 3 days so I'm on my last one.

I really hope it doesn't happen again, but if it does and I end up in FSD jail, at least I will have video evidence.
Sounds like a good plan.

I do wonder whether the monitoring in cars without the cabin camera is poorly vetted somehow, or more strict. Seems hard to understand how it could be more strict about the wheel torque though. Probably just defective somehow.

Video would be great in any case.

Iā€™ve driven for hours now with FSD Beta 10.69.3.1, freeways mostly, and no issues. Torque nag has shown on occasion, but when I had altered the torque for one reason or another (due to conditions or whatever). In general, does not show up, though; in the steady state the unbalanced torque at 9 and 3 just dismisses it robustly, so it never shows.

Reactions: Dewg
Sounds like a good plan.

I do wonder whether the monitoring in cars without the cabin camera is poorly vetted somehow, or more strict. Seems hard to understand how it could be more strict about the wheel torque though. Probably just defective somehow.

Video would be great in any case.

Iā€™ve driven for hours now with FSD Beta 10.69.3.1, freeways mostly, and no issues. Torque nag has shown on occasion, but when I had altered the torque for one reason or another (due to conditions or whatever). In general, does not show up, though; in the steady state the unbalanced torque at 9 and 3 just dismisses it robustly, so it never shows.
The following is not my video, sadly I have not been using FSDb since the 2 strikes. I want to use it on video only in case it happens again but with all the attachments I have I can't find a good spot to show both the whole wheel and the display behind it. The camera would need to be where my face is.

Anyway, here's someone that ended up with the big takeover immediately message and a strike.

This is nothing like what I experienced... he doesn't keep his hands on the wheel in his video, and he had several "hands on the wheel" messages that he acknowledged mostly with scroll wheels.

In my case my hand was resting on the wheel, and I never had any "hands on the wheel" messages before the take over and disable message.

Why do you think he got the strike? Too many "hands on wheel" reminders?

short video - take over message only

full video - sped up

Last edited:

The issue is with the new software for standard non-FSD AP or FSD/FSDb NOA. Meaning the separate highway software. Not specific to FSD or FSDb. I even turned off FSDb after these no-warning disconnects but still using NOA got a strike which counted against FSDb use.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
The following is not my video, sadly I have not been using FSDb since the 2 strikes. I want to use it on video only in case it happens again but with all the attachments I have I can't find a good spot to show both the whole wheel and the display behind it. The camera would need to be where my face is.

Anyway, here's someone that ended up with the big takeover immediately message and a strike.

This is nothing like what I experienced... he doesn't keep his hands on the wheel in his video, and he had several "hands on the wheel" messages that he acknowledged mostly with scroll wheels.

In my case my hand was resting on the wheel, and I never had any "hands on the wheel" messages before the take over and disable message.

Why do you think he got the strike? Too many "hands on wheel" reminders?

short video - take over message only

full video - sped up

No idea really. Probably scroll wheels not enough to satisfy.

I would have liked to have had audio at regular speed of the original video though it was pretty long. Just to see how many beeps he got.

But probably scroll wheels insufficient.

Last edited:
I should add that I do not know if by turning off NOA and FSDb and just using standard AP, if a strike under those settings would count against FSDb. It might.........I suspect it would........
I haven't tried myself, but read from several people that even if FSD is turned off in the AP settings, a forced disengagement on NoA would count against FSDb strike.
I don't know if NoA is also turned off though. Not willing to try it

I haven't tried myself, but read from several people that even if FSD is turned off in the AP settings, a forced disengagement on NoA would count against FSDb strike.
I don't know if NoA is also turned off though. Not willing to try it
I can definitively tell you that turning off the FSDb setting and leaving on the NOA setting will allow a strike to count against FSDb use. If also turning off the NOA setting will or will not do the same I have no way of knowing or testing, now that I am in FSDb suspension land.......