Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When non-owner invites go out, will CA non-owners get the first invites?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm an east coast non-owner, inline reservation holder. My estimate is Dec 2017- Feb 2018. There have been plenty of deliveries across the country so I wonder if Tesla will circle back and send out CA non-owners invites first. I wonder if it will be supply constrained. I would expect to still receive an invite before a CA non-owner that has a later reservation though.

The original plan was to start in the west and work there way east. I would think they would spread it out a little. It seems easier to deliver 1,000 cars per week at 40 locations vs just one or two. The original plan was also to deliver the high end version and that got changed.

Hopefully they go off the local time stamp for the order. I would hate for someone in California that just reserved yesterday to get a car before everyone that camped out in the Midwest and east coast.

Depends on the ramp-up. Once they're producing 2,000, roughly, per week, limiting to only CA deliveries wouldn't be practical. There's only so many delivery centers and they have limited capacity. Better to send the production out across the country to make sure you're not just producing for inventory.

Reactions: PoitNarf
The original plan was to start in the west and work there way east. I would think they would spread it out a little. It seems easier to deliver 1,000 cars per week at 40 locations vs just one or two. The original plan was also to deliver the high end version and that got changed.

Hopefully they go off the local time stamp for the order. I would hate for someone in California that just reserved yesterday to get a car before everyone that camped out in the Midwest and east coast.
Just as a little clarification: Tesla has only said that the order will be based up location. Some assumed west working east, but with owner configurations, that hasn't been true. They went California first, then to other high population areas with service centers. NYC / DC seemed to come immediately after CA.

-Jim

I still want to believe the estimates in your account are the best indicator of priority when making assumptions. If there’s non-owners in CA with estimates from November 17 to January 18 then I’d have to assume yes. But I also think they’ll be forced to distribute in parallel because of volume.

How’s that for a non answer? That’s my contribution for the day :cool:

As others have already said, Tesla needs to send out non-owner invites to the entire US, not just CA. Their delivery centers in CA already seem to be saturated with Model 3 deliveries on busy days. They need to utilize all of the delivery sites they can so that deliveries keep up with the production ramp. I wouldn't be surprised if the first wave of non-owner invites went to CA reservation holders first, but subsequent config invite waves should go out to non-owners all over the US.

As others have already said, Tesla needs to send out non-owner invites to the entire US, not just CA. Their delivery centers in CA already seem to be saturated with Model 3 deliveries on busy days. They need to utilize all of the delivery sites they can so that deliveries keep up with the production ramp. I wouldn't be surprised if the first wave of non-owner invites went to CA reservation holders first, but subsequent config invite waves should go out to non-owners all over the US.

Agree and that would mimic what they did for owners. CA first and now Tesla is load balancing to delivery centers across the county.

I'm an east coast non-owner, inline reservation holder. My estimate is Dec 2017- Feb 2018. There have been plenty of deliveries across the country so I wonder if Tesla will circle back and send out CA non-owners invites first. I wonder if it will be supply constrained. I would expect to still receive an invite before a CA non-owner that has a later reservation though.
My reservation was online 3/31/16 at 745pm and my delivery estimate is still Jan-Mar for First production version. I’m a non-owner in Seattle so good to see your delivery estimate is ahead of mine—since you stood inline. If delivery estimates are still accurate (and since we are seeing 2 weeks), then you could technically get your invite Feb 14 and still be within your window. The key here is “if delivery estimates are still accurate...”

My reservation was online 3/31/16 at 745pm and my delivery estimate is still Jan-Mar for First production version. I’m a non-owner in Seattle so good to see your delivery estimate is ahead of mine—since you stood inline. If delivery estimates are still accurate (and since we are seeing 2 weeks), then you could technically get your invite Feb 14 and still be within your window. The key here is “if delivery estimates are still accurate...”

My guess is that they will still do west coast then east, but in waves. So Dec-Feb will go west to east, jan-mar west to east, etc.

If they stick to queue, why would west coast non-owners go first? No reason unless they're trying to mAx deliveries. As an East coast person in line hours before someone on west coast, I wouldn't appreciate that.

The west coast to easr cost is satisfied by owner deliveries.

I'm a CA line-waiter non-owner and my delivery estimate is Nov17-Jan18. Tesla will likely want work west to east again for non-owners so that delivery and service center ramps begin closest to home.
As a person who has Dec - Feb timeframe and from east coast (reserved in morning), it's possible to assume I reserved before you were in line/store opened. However, you have earlier timeframe for delivery. I think we've narrowed it down that west coast non-owners will get invite before East coast if the estimated timeframe are to be believed.

As a person who has Dec - Feb timeframe and from east coast (reserved in morning), it's possible to assume I reserved before you were in line/store opened. However, you have earlier timeframe for delivery. I think we've narrowed it down that west coast non-owners will get invite before East coast if the estimated timeframe are to be believed.

I was number 18 in line. Reserved about 9:10am pacific time.

Considering the west-to-east coast delivery method was used for employees and current owners, it's safe to assume they will use the same approach with non-owners. The reasoning is three-fold:

1) Early deliveries are closer to home in case for quicker response if there is an issue
2) Deliveries closer to the factory are quicker, which means more cars delivered per quarter
3) The concentration of reservation holders is high in California (the reason they delivered promo vehicles to CA stores first)

Reactions: erthquake
You are correct except for the fact that other have pointed out in this thread. The CA delivery centers are already saturated which makes them the new bottleneck. It would make sense to then distribute throughout the US to make sure all delivery centers are being utilized.

Considering the west-to-east coast delivery method was used for employees and current owners, it's safe to assume they will use the same approach with non-owners. The reasoning is three-fold:

1) Early deliveries are closer to home in case for quicker response if there is an issue
2) Deliveries closer to the factory are quicker, which means more cars delivered per quarter
3) The concentration of reservation holders is high in California (the reason they delivered promo vehicles to CA stores first)

Reactions: EinSV and PoitNarf
CA deliveries might be saturated, but you also have giant parking lots where they can put cars. I don't think they have that have that anywhere else yet.

So they could send 100 cars to LA, and still have more room than sending 10 to NY

But there's way more room if they send 10 to New York, 10 to Miami, 10 to Boston, 10 to Chicago, 10 to Dallas, 10 to Houston ...