Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When to purchase and install Wall Connector?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would do it as soon as you are comfortable. Installing sooner also helps to spread out the expenditure of a Wall Connector or Nema 14-50 into a different time frame than all the other things you may wish to do when you get the car such as Tinting, PPF, etc....

Reactions: Rocky_H
Um. Reminds me of Dirty Harry, "Ya feelin' lucky, punk?"

From time to time Tesla runs out of the Wall Connectors. Cue people running around like chickens with their heads cut off, followed by a new supply from Tesla and relaxation.

From time to time Tesla changes how much they charge for the thing. Latest was going from $500 to $400 (!).

Finally: It's not just enough to get the blame thing, it's getting it installed that usually ends up with Issues. Now, if you're planning on a Do It Yourself Project, and you have the tools and experience, stop reading this now 😁.

There are people who look like perfectly competent electricians, and maybe are, but, with the existence of either scallywags or just somebody making an honest mistake, the result is a Wall Connector that's been improperly installed. There's been cases of screws not tightened down right, neutral where there should be a ground, and so on and so on. The usual way to find out if a mistake has been made is to Plug The Car In and Watch It Charge. That catches 95% of mistakes and, if the electrician is still there, (a) makes it difficult for them to take your money and run and (b) more likely than not to figure out that they got the left-handed whatchamacallet in backwards and to put it in the right way on the spot.

This funny business doesn't happen all the time. But there's been loads of improper install reports on the forums because, well, people are human and make mistakes. A Wall Connector is not a 120 VAC outlet.

So, in prep for the install, it'd be handy to actually have a Tesla to plug in. And to have verified that that Tesla actually can do L2 charging. (There's the exceedingly rare cases of a Tesla being able to do DC fast charging, but not AC charging, fun.) If you've got a neighbor with a Tesla who's willing to let you use it for the purpose, then you can get your Wall Connector any time and use the neighbor's car for the test. If not, it'd be better to have the car first, check it at a ChargePoint or something, then use it to verify the electrician's work.

For what it's worth, I wasn't thinking along these lines when the SO and I got our M3 back in 2018. But we did have the car and, at the electrician's suggestion, tested the car charging on the spot and it worked. And it's still working just fine, with both a M3 and a MY in the garage.

And I had a co-worker who bought a M3 a few months later. In his case, using the Gen 2 WC, there were instructions in the manual to Not Change Switch Positions When The Breakers Were On. The electrician did that thing and fried the WC's circuit board. So much for reading manuals. Don't know how the electrician escaped with the money, but my co-worker was lucky: At that time, at that place, Tesla replaced the WC under warranty and drop-shipped him a new one, which worked. (Wiring was fine, following instructions are better).

Last edited:
Reactions: sleepydoc
There is no real “right” answer here. Here are some thoughts:

• You are going to have to run wiring. Depanding on the distance, and if you plan to setup a true 60-amp circuit e.g. NOT #6 Romex, this can run into some money. Get a couple of quotes now. I would do the wiring sooner than later, spread the cost.
  • The only issue with the wall connector is availability. I would keep an eye on the Tesla shopping site with the intent of buying about 30-days before delivery. You may even get a newer model! Of course the price could go up.
In the end is it all about when you want to spend money and your comfort factor.

If you order the Wall Connector soon you are protected against any possible price increases (the Wall Connector has never been priced this low.) I would wait until September to begin the process of selecting an electrician and contracting for the needed electrical work. Once you have selected an electrician it will take time, perhaps a month or so for the necessary permit and to schedule the work. If the wiring requires going into your home's attic the electrician will want to wait until late September or early October when the weather is cooler. If you wait too long then you run into the holidays when it may be more difficult to schedule the work and the final inspection.

One thing to consider: tax rebates. For example: in Maryland, there's a 40% rebate (up to $700) for EVSE+install. The funds ran out in April 2022, but with the new fiscal year (July 1), funds were replenished. Funds will likely run out early again. Based on your profile, you're also in Maryland, so it might be worth getting everything purchased and installed now, while rebate money is still available.

Last edited:
I ordered my MYP on 12/5/21, and had my wall connector on my porch later that week. I had it installed right after Christmas. I called the Tesla recommended electrician in my area, and they were able to come out the next day and do the install in just a couple of hours. The charger then sat on the wall idle until my MYP was delivered on 3/5/33. It was nice to get home from my delivery and be able to immediately charge at 48A at home!

Charger.jpg

Agree with many of the comments here. In general, I’d get it installed sooner rather than later. As @Tronguy said, Tesla runs out from time to time and the price is lower now than it has been. Also, it can be hard to get an electrician out. Finally, start checking on electric utility rebates and incentive programs. Our electric co op had an off peak charging program but it took time to get it set up and commissioned.

What is the WC warranty period? I am in the same boat that M3 has EDD of 9/28-11/23. I don’t want to install the WC too soon and by the time I have M3, and if it is the standard 12mos warranty period, the warranty might be half over.

What is the WC warranty period? I am in the same boat that M3 has EDD of 9/28-11/23. I don’t want to install the WC too soon and by the time I have M3, and if it is the standard 12mos warranty period, the warranty might be half over.
Per the Tesla Gen3 Wall Connector Installation Manual, page 29:

Gen3 Wall Connector Installation Manual

Subject to the exclusions and limitations described below, the Charging Equipment Limited Warranty
covers the refund, repair or replacement necessary to remedy any manufacturing defects in a Tesla
manufactured and supplied Wall Connector that occur under normal personal use for a period of 48
months, or a period of 12 months for normal commercal use*, and a Tesla manufactured and supplied
Mobile Connector or charging adapter that occur under normal use for a period of 12 months, starting
from the date of invoice to the customer for any charging equipment. Any Tesla manufactured and
supplied connector or adapter included in the initial purchase and delivery of a Tesla vehicle by Tesla is
covered under the Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty section of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty for 4
years or 50,000 miles (80,000 km), whichever comes first, subject to the terms and conditions of the
New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

I'd get the Wall Connector installed now, no reason to wait. I ordered my car in September and I got it in February. It took me a while to get a few estimates for installing the Wall Charger, many electricians were too busy, and some told me that if I wanted it done that year (2021), then they couldn't do it. I knew I needed to get a trench dug to wire my detached garage, and since the car would be coming in winter, I wanted to get the electric work done before the ground froze - something you may or may not need to consider.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
Do it now - take advantage of the current price, and don't stress over how long an electrician might need before they're able to come install it.
This is my plan. Ordered MYP and gen 3 WC on 6/5/22. Received the WC well before the vehicle. EDD #2 Aug 21-Sept 17. Electrician came by a couple weeks ago to evaluate sub panel and will install next week or the week after. I’m in the camp of being prepared and ready at home. I also live 2 mi from a SC if an issue comes up. It’s also a bonus that the electrician is my coworker’s husband.

Reactions: Acps110 and ATPMSD