Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When to report NHTSA issues?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...Ok (?)
Please read thru the earlier responses. Often, if I or someone else suggests reporting a CLEAR safety defect to NHTSA is that I get attacked or belittled or a vocal few try to convince that person to not report to NHTSA for various reasons. They include stuff like: it's random (and not systematic, even the person making that claim really has no idea), so not report worthy, it's not a safety defect, it happens all the time w/other cars, no need to report to NHTSA since Tesla will handle it, it only should be reported if the automaker is unwilling to deal with the issue, and so on. The is complete poppycock and flies in the face of what's in a Model S and X owner's manual along w/standard verbiage I've seen in other vehcle owners manuals.

And, often that post and its responses get carved off and moved away from the thread into this one, so that the OP and others may not even see it. There are tons of random excuses like the above. Often it seems due to misguided attitudes that they're "protecting" Tesla from media attention or whatever by withholding such a report.

Or another excuse is that NHTSA would be clogged w/reports. Well, if there are so few for Teslas, there wouldn't be much clogging.

I'm talking clear safety defects for which other automakers have recalled vehicles and/or can clearly increase chance of accident or injury such as loss of propulsion not due to user error or windshield wipers failing.

Here's yet another example of a recall for loss of propulsion: Fiat 500e electric cars recalled to fix software glitch: more than 16,000 affected.

On other auto forums, the above attitude and behavior doesn't exist and people are not berated for asking someone to report a clear safety defect incident to NHTSA/appropriate regulatory body (e.g. Transport Canada for Canada), even if they do it many across many threads.

I frankly have not had time to continue arguing this here and feel like I'm talking to a bunch of brick walls.

People here seem convinced that if a legitimate safety issue is there that Tesla isn't addressing that they'd report it.
The owners manual says nothing about whether or not someone feels that an automaker is or isn't addressing a safety issue. That's not the criteria at all. (I pointed to the manual's verbiage at When to report NHTSA issues?.)

It's a dangerous attitude as it can lead to severe underreporting and reporting spikes when it's WAY too late, delaying a possible investigation or recall. This could great increase the chance of damage, injury or death if not addressed. Did you see the graph starting at the end of 2009 of It's All Your Fault: The DOT Renders Its Verdict on Toyota's Unintended-Acceleration Scare - Feature ?
You seem to feel reporting everything even windshield wiper issues is important and to let the NTHSA sort it out. Just a different philosophy.
If wipers fail within the period in which automakers are legally obligated to provide a free fix, it should be reported. I'd report it after the automaker has attempted remedy it. It is listed at Motor Vehicle Defects and Safety Recalls: What Every Vehicle Owner Should Know | Safercar.gov | NHTSA under
"Examples of defects considered safety-related
- Windshield wiper assemblies that fail to operate properly."

What if you're driving in the rain or snow esp. w/other vehicles around you and your wipers failed? Don't you think it would increase the chance of your or others around you getting in to accident?

Here are examples of recalls for failed wipers:
GM recalls 474,000 more vehicles for transfer case, wiper, and shock absorber issues
Hyundai Recalls Genesis, Equus for Windshield Wipers
http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/2013-14-cadillac-cts-recalled-for-windshield-wiper-failure.html
Wiped Out: Toyota Recalls 423,000 RAV4 Models for Windshield Wipers
You see this as stubborn, some of us see using a limited resource like the NTHSA's investigation time for important issues as a misuse of resources.
It is important that they be reported so that NHTSA and that automaker have a complete picture of what's going on along w/the frequency and severity, which may or may not be severe. As I said, if these incidents are so far and few in between for Teslas, they will not add much to NHTSA's workload. IF NHTSA gets too many, in general, that's a signal that they need more resources.

I already went over this almost 3 years ago at When to report NHTSA issues?.
That's how I see it. It never occurred to me to report anything I've had wrong with my car to the NTHSA but if someone feels the need to that's what it is there for. The encouragement to report things like faulty windshield wipers and such seems a little over the top. Loss of power, sure go ahead if you think it's something that is systematically wrong with the Model S, just not your particular car.
Not over the top and again, the manual says nothing about the criteria you decided to come up with. Most drivers of most vehicles will not know (unless it's in the media) whether there is something systemically wrong w/their vehicle or not. It may not even need to affect a very large population.

Rolls-Royce issues recall — for one car - FT.com has a recall for ONE vehicle.
Smallest Recall Ever? A Solitary 2014 Chevrolet Volt Involved in Ten-Car Steering Recall affected only 11 vehicles
Chrysler recalls small number of 2013-2014 cars and trucks over engine debris only had a potential of 522 affected vehicles

Don't worry, that Keef guy (Leech, Wivaneff, etc...) is happily reporting every hiccup he can find on the forums to the NHTSA with fake VINs and direct links to TMC. Basically post your problems here, and he'll happily report it for you.

Don't worry, that Keef guy (Leech, Wivaneff, etc...) is happily reporting every hiccup he can find on the forums to the NHTSA with fake VINs and direct links to TMC. Basically post your problems here, and he'll happily report it for you.
LOL!

That's not what I'm looking for. Reports with fake VINs (either w/the wrong vehicles or ones that don't exist) are worthless and a waste of time for everyone involved. It also does very little to help that guy's case. Only legitimate safety defects should be reported.

Reactions: NoEggs and FlasherZ
Yes, and he's flooded the NHTSA website with composite complaints. I was just looking at them and they're all the same, hearsay information drawn directly from various Tesla forums. With direct quotes. He even comes out in one or two and says he made up fake VINs. Legitimate complaints are essentially swamped by this guy (Keith Leech).

IIRC the legal system has a term for someone like him (if they were actual lawsuits).

Vexatious litigation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Except he's a serial complainant, flooding the system and rendering it pretty useless.

Reactions: v12 to 12v
They don't even need to be for large numbers of vehicles. All the ones listed at The Top 10 Smallest Recalls of 2013 involved under 100 units each, w/the the smallest affecting FOUR units.
Two example of recalls involving a small numbers of units at Ford issues three recalls, two of which cover fewer than five cars - Roadshow. The Ford Police Interceptor Utility recall affected 4 units. The Escape recall affected 3 units.

2017 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid plug-in minivan recalled for faulty diode (updated) was recent recall which again is one of MANY recalls that further proves the point that loss of propulsion not due to driver error does meet the bar of a safety defect..
The issue is related to a potentially faulty diode within the power inverter module, which can stop functioning altogether, leading to a powertrain shutdown.

That could produce the risk of a crash, though Chrysler says there have been no crashes or injuries reported to date as a result of the issue.
From 2017 CHRYSLER PACIFICA HEV VAN FWD (hope this works) and https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2017/RCLRPT-17V371-2546.PDF, they discovered the problem with 13 units, so far, they're recalling 1353 units. 13 vehicles experiencing this (at time of writing) out of 1353 is 0.96%.