Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When was AP 2.5 Introduced?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m sure this has been answered many times here, but it’s one of those harder things to search for due to any false positives and I haven’t had much success. I’m curious to know when AP 2.5 hardware become standard on the MS ? Also, is it possible to get the month of manufacture of the car ? I’ve used this : VIN Decoder | TeslaTap but I didn’t see the month.
Thanks!

So it would seem August 2017 production date vehicles are still unsure about the presence of 2.5.

I have an 08/17 date. I ordered the car about 1 year ago, from inventory. I tried really hard to make sure that I restricted my search to AP2.5 cars, and the 3rd party tools and javascript inspector tricks for my car showed "AP3", which was that code for AP2.5. So I have thought for all this time that I have a AP2.5 car.

However, I cannot get the dashcam to work on my car.. So I'm assuming that I either

a) Do not really have AP2.5
b) Have some kind of hybrid, with some parts from each of 2.0 and 2.5

I'm kind of irked, given all the time put in to trying to make sure I got a 2.5 car.

Drew, my scenario is exactly as yours! I too thought I had 2.5 with my 8/2017 manufacturing date. However I can’t get the dashcam feature to work either, leading me to believe I too don’t have 2.5. :(

Drew, my scenario is exactly as yours! I too thought I had 2.5 with my 8/2017 manufacturing date. However I can’t get the dashcam feature to work either, leading me to believe I too don’t have 2.5. :(
It's also possible that AP2.5 had early versions and later versions, Tesla has an incentive to hide such changes whenever possible since it seems to upset people with older hardware who were told their car was "FSD capable" when they bought it.

Btw, remember all the excuses Tesla gave in their statement when AP2.5 was discovered, how they told people how it only added redundancy? Well, it seems that they reused the redundancy capacity (additional processing power) for a dashcam functionality instead.

• Informative
Reactions: Ken7
It's also possible that AP2.5 had early versions and later versions, Tesla has an incentive to hide such changes whenever possible since it seems to upset people with older hardware who were told their car was "FSD capable" when they bought it.

Btw, remember all the excuses Tesla gave in their statement when AP2.5 was discovered, how they told people how it only added redundancy? Well, it seems that they reused the redundancy capacity (additional processing power) for a dashcam functionality instead.
So did you get your dashcam feature to work? I see you do have AP2.5.

@Ken7 what did you do to try it? I’m about to pop in a USB and see. Is that it? I read it needs to be FAT32 and have the appropriate folder (TeslaCam) (no parentheses) in the USB already set.

Last edited:
I believe AP 2.5 started the last week of August 2017. If you have Remote S on your phone, click “Remote S” on the top of the screen, then scroll all the way down and click on “Copy Vehicle Data” you should have an APHx Code listed in the long list of data that describes the config of your car.

APH2 = 2.0
APH3 = 2.5
I bought the app and indeed it does show APH3! So now I need to figure out why the dashcam wasn’t working.

• Disagree
Reactions: Itsuo-DC