Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will Tesla add the following to the Route Planner: SOC at Arrival - Deleting individual Charge Starions - Display Non Tesla Charge Stations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When will Tesla add the following to the Route Planner:

- Set SOC at Arrival
- Deleting individual Charge Starions
- Display Non Tesla Charge Stations
- Let the owner pre-heat the battery with a push of a button.
Mercedes, VW, BMW all have those features.
Yeah, I don't think they have all of those features. Bjorn tests pretty much all EVs and says that the route planning in most non-Teslas is horrible or non-existant.

I'm pretty sure the VWs don't have a pre-heat feature. (Out of Spec motoring showed how they had to yo-yo drive their ID.4 to get decent charge speeds.) Other brands have been adding pre-heat features slowly. (Hyundai/Kia recently added it but you have to convivence a dealer to install the update.)

• You can do this by monitoring the predicted SOC at your destination on your last charging stop. Doesn't seem like a big deal.
    • Part of the issue, is that it can't necessarily do what people would ask. (Say you want to arrive with 75%, but even if you charge to 100% at the closest station you would still only arrive with 50%. I suppose it could just say it isn't possible.)
  • Yep, not available.
  • Already does this, but limited in which stations it shows in the US. (It shows EVgo stations that have a built-in CHAdeMO adapter.)
    • They have added non-Tesla CCS stations in some test markets, like Europe, I imagine it will come to the US sometime soon. (Of course a lot of the current third-party CCS chargers in the US wouldn't meet the Tesla requirements to be listed.)
  • Yeah, they aren't going to let you do that.
    • It will be less of an issue once they expand their third-party charging station list.
Most of what you want can be done by third-party solutions like ABRP.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: outdoors
This is not a „Solution“. This App does not know the current state of charge of the vehicle, nor does it know the cars consumption during the trip.
If you have ABRP premium, the app definitely knows the SoC of your car. I use it often.

What it can't do, is integrate with your car's nav system, so it cannot send a route to the car for EAP or FSD to follow. But, if you just use AP, you can use ABRP as your nav system while driving and it will give you turn-by-turn directions and track your consumption as you go. You need to pay a few bucks per year for the premium service, but it is quite comprehensive.

In addition, you can specify your planned date and time for the trip and ABRP will use weather forecasts to estimate your energy usage based on that. And you can enter your planned SoC at the start of the trip and minimum SoC for arrival at each charger and destination. You can add waypoints and vias to direct the exact route you wish to drive.

Any way to add Way Points or am I just missing it?

Also would be Nice if it had Favorites and Recents. Tried typing in "Home" and it doesn't know Home.
You have to enter your address to make home work. And you can also add waypoints. I do it several times a year.

Reactions: Oparide
You have to enter your address to make home work. And you can also add waypoints. I do it several times a year.

I posted in the wrong thread and meant to post in this App thread. I guess too much 420.

I posted in the wrong thread and meant to post in this App thread. I guess too much 420.

Yes missing waypoints in the Tesla app. But it's going in the right direction !

This is not a „Solution“. This App does not know the current state of charge of the vehicle, nor does it know the cars consumption during the trip.

If you're planning you can tell ABRP the current SoC as the departure SoC.

However, it would be good for Tesla to improve the route planning.

Polestar has Android Automotive OS and integrated ABRP if you want better integrated planning.

Charging is never an issue for me. During my last trip to and from Vegas, the car automatically preheated the battery, automatically changed to a less crowded supercharging station. I don't need more micromanagement for charging,

Last edited:
Any way to add Way Points or am I just missing it?

Also would be Nice if it had Favorites and Recents. Tried typing in "Home" and it doesn't know Home.
Home, Work always work for me. I can say Navigate Home, Navigate to Work too.
But I do want 2 options to make me feel more comfortable with the current state of the art of FSD:
1. Maximize use of freeways.
2. Minimize road changing and left turns/right turns. I want to stay on the main street.

I don't worry about spending more money for gas. :)

Last edited:
Charging is never an issue for me. During my last trip to and from Vegas, the car automatically preheated the battery, automatically changed to a less crowded supercharging station. I don't need more micromanagement for charging,
If you are using Tesla superchargers, you are correct. There is no need to have manual battery preconditioning. But, if you are navigating to a non-Tesla fast charger, you need a method to manually enable preconditioning. Better, of course, would be for Tesla to incorporate other fast chargers into the nav system.

I think adding a desired arrival state of charge is very useful and isn't as simple as "just charge longer at your last supercharger". If you want to be at 70% when you start your next day at your destination and the route planner currently has you arriving at 10% after driving 150-200 miles then it's not going to matter how long you charge at your last supercharger. You need a different plan which may or may not require an extra stop.

I realize you can trick the system by putting in your day 2 first stop as the final destination and putting in your actual day 1 final destination as a waypoint but that's not a particularly elegant solution.

This sounds like a fairly simple feature addition and hopefully Tesla can add it soon.

Reactions: Ami-Sven
Another thing I'd add to the OPs list:

-Show the target SOC the trip planner/car is going for right now at this charging stop.

I often have to add a buffer of 5 or 10% to actually make it to the next stop, due to conditions I know about that the car is ignoring (snow, rain, mountains it incorrectly accounts for).

If it showed the target SOP, I could set max charge level to 5-10 over or whatever I want, early in the charge session, and then maximize my time away from the car, walking the dogs, getting snacks, bio breaks, etc.

Currently, I have to guess, dash out, be back before it's done, and fuss with it for the last 10 minutes.

• Helpful
Reactions: Ami-Sven
You should apply to tesla, write the code, and enjoy the perks of the position.

Since, you know, it’s not too difficult. 🥴
Tesla could just buy ABRP and copy paste the good bits, lol.

I'm in the camp of never letting any 3rd party access the Tesla. Too many risks. It's like putting a chip tune on a new ICE car. Sure, mostly benign, until it isn't and something major breaks, and Tesla won't support the fix. Or something minor breaks and it's just a small annoyance, one more damn thing in my life to dig into and solve myself.

Nope. Just make it work.

That is great (NOT) giving an 3rd party App access to my Tesla account. Tesla needs to update and upgrade their route planning software. This should not be too difficult.
Someone made a true statement - the same one I made earlier - and you disliked it. Seems like you're not going to be satisfied, regardless.
Tesla could just buy ABRP and copy paste the good bits, lol.

I'm in the camp of never letting any 3rd party access the Tesla. Too many risks. It's like putting a chip tune on a new ICE car. Sure, mostly benign, until it isn't and something major breaks, and Tesla won't support the fix. Or something minor breaks and it's just a small annoyance, one more damn thing in my life to dig into and solve myself.

Nope. Just make it work.
In five years of using TeslaFi and other third-party sites and apps, I've never once had a lick of trouble.

Someone made a true statement - the same one I made earlier - and you disliked it. Seems like you're not going to be satisfied, regardless.

In five years of using TeslaFi and other third-party sites and apps, I've never once had a lick of trouble.
You just don’t get it! I should not have to use a 3rd party App. I thought Tesla is such a great technology amd software company, which is so advanced ??? If You agree with that statement, the. It is hard to understand why you would be happy to use Apps when competitors now have these features standard.

You just don’t get it! I should not have to use a 3rd party App. I thought Tesla is such a great technology amd software company, which is so advanced ??? If You agree with that statement, the. It is hard to understand why you would be happy to use Apps when competitors now have these features standard.
Are you trolling? At this point you’re consistently/constantly screaming at a brick wall, wishing that you were agreed with 100%. You have been provided with solutions to your complaints, you don’t like the solutions you’re being given and as such continue to kick and scream about how you’re not being heard.

Everyone has read what you wrote and attempted to pacify you.
Are you a blogger, attempting to drum up your next story?

Are you trolling? At this point you’re consistently/constantly screaming at a brick wall, wishing that you were agreed with 100%. You have been provided with solutions to your complaints, you don’t like the solutions you’re being given and as such continue to kick and scream about how you’re not being heard.

Everyone has read what you wrote and attempted to pacify you.
Are you a blogger, attempting to drum up your next story?
No solutions have been provided. 3rd party apps are not a legit solution, they are a stop gap patch that may work for some people who choose to use them, but the original complaint is valid and remains an open issue for Tesla to solve.

There have been actual breeches in 3rd party app security, and although they now all(?) seem to be secure, the next hack could be the one that gets ya. Not interested.