TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

When Will Tesla Release FSD?

Discussion in 'TSLA Investor Discussions' started by ValueAnalyst, May 31, 2018.

?

When Will Tesla Release FSD?

Poll closed Jul 1, 2018.
  1. 3Q18

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  2. 4Q18

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 1Q19

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 2Q19

4 vote(s)
    4.7%
  5. 3Q19

2 vote(s)
    2.3%
  6. 4Q19

3 vote(s)
    3.5%
  7. 1Q20

5 vote(s)
    5.8%
  8. 2Q20

3 vote(s)
    3.5%
  9. 3Q20

10 vote(s)
    11.6%
  10. 4Q20

8 vote(s)
    9.3%
  11. 2021

11 vote(s)
    12.8%
  12. 2022+

39 vote(s)
    45.3%
  1. ValueAnalyst

ValueAnalyst Closed

2. bdy0627

bdy0627 Active Member

I believe Elon's latest guess was end of 2019. I'm very optimistically adding 3 quarters to that.

3. Adm

Adm Active Member

Probably 3-6 months... (Ducks and runs!!) :p:cool:

• Funny x 7
  4. d21mike

d21mike Member

I think there is a major (multiple years) difference between when Tesla will START to release FSD Only features and when they release FSD Final. Which is the same for EAP. They are still releasing EAP Features but final EAP will probably not be done until late 2019.

I think we will START to see FSD Features early 2019.

5. DanCar

DanCar Member

Elon said in 2016 it was two years away.
    Elon said in 2017 it was two years away.
    Elon said in 2018 it was two years away.
    What will Elon say in 2020? :0)

Would be nice if Elon promised something much simpler. Full self driving for single lane divided freeway.

• Like x 1
  6. Tam

Tam Active Member

• Informative x 2
  7. bdy0627

bdy0627 Active Member

In 2020, he'll say just use the Boring Loops and BFR.;)

8. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

Agree. To start with true on ramp to exit ramp with no need to use a blinker to change lanes. Since the driver will still be expected to take over at any time that should avoid many of the legal requirements for full FSD that will be needed for different jurisdictions.
    I suppose some will argue this is nothing more than enhanced EAP and they could be right. I just see gradual implementation as being the prudent approach for FSD. Plus the jury is still out in my opinion on whether AP2 hardware will be sufficient. If I was a betting person I'd say no. And yes I purchased FSD in spite of all the uncertainty.

• Like x 2
  9. ValueAnalyst

ValueAnalyst Closed

Do you subscribe to Elon's Alpha Go analogy: the pace of development will accelerate, and finally start surprising favorably?

For instance, I think many owners were surprised by the latest major Autopilot update.

Are we talking talking about the same Elon? :)

10. _jmk

_jmk Member

Honestly speaking: if even AEB does not work yet, it will take a while more :-/

• Like x 1
  11. strangecosmos

strangecosmos Non-Member

Absolutely no idea. Over time, I’ve gotten more radically agnostic about when anyone will commercialize full self-driving. It could be 2019 or 2025, and I don’t think anyone really knows (including people like Andrew Karpathy, John Krafcik, and Kyle Vogt).

12. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

Just so everyone's clear, level 5 is defined at Wayback Machine on page 2.

I guess one ambiguous part is what countries this "level 5 FSD" would be released in. US? Or just any single country (even if not US) counts as "released". And, "released" to me == a Tesla vehicle in real consumer hands (not an employee only release, could be AP beyond 2.x) can receive it (possibly requiring hardware update) or you can buy a new Tesla at that time with level 5 FSD working, after calibration is complete.

13. ValueAnalyst

ValueAnalyst Closed

Publicly available in at least one state or country.

• Like x 1
  14. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

I have to laugh at anyone who voted any time in 2019. If they're serious, I think they've drank too much of the Elon Kool-Aid and are unaware of the progress, efforts, capabilities, programs and challenges of other major players (e.g. Waymo/Google and Cruise Automation).

15. renim

renim Member

My prediction
    In Singapore/HK, Tesla would release FSD perhaps 2-3 years before nation wide USA/Europe.

for USA, perhaps Arizona 2-3 years before coastal cities.

the Japanese quickly worked out that the constraint to FSD was not other human drivers but pedestrians etc, places that funnel alert pedestrians effectively, seems far more appropriate than where pedestrians are more unpredictable.

• Like x 1
  16. SDRick

SDRick Member

As I posted in the other thread....

Three years maybe, six years definitely.

• Funny x 1
  17. Phrixotrichus

Phrixotrichus Member

#17 Phrixotrichus, Jun 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
    Since every other manufacturer besides Tesla estimates (at least) the mid to high 2020s for that I´ll go with 2022+. Actually I don`t think it will ever work with the hardware Tesla is currently using.

Would love to be proven wrong ofc.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  18. ValueAnalyst

ValueAnalyst Closed

Tesla is pursuing a different FSD strategy based on vision only, while other manufacturers are pursing LIDAR-based one.

If history is any guide, then Elon will be proven right in the near-future, while others speed into a dead-end.

• Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
  19. Phrixotrichus

Phrixotrichus Member

#19 Phrixotrichus, Jun 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
    If history is any guide Elon will just continue to promise without delivering.
    Concerning production/development realities the classic industry has a lot more credibility than Elon at this point.

"Elon-time" hasn`t become a winged word for nothing.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  20. renim

renim Member

If history is any guide, Elon's vision only strategy will be about as correct as Gate's '640K ought to be enough for anybody.'

• Like x 1