Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will we get Park Assist on Model S with HW4 and no USS?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the 360 birds eye view on my Ford Bronco and it’s outstanding. No reason a $100K+ car shouldn’t have this. That said, my 2023 MSP order is in!
Musk said we would get 360 view in 2021. Of course FSD was 2020 or before. Probably the cameras are not aimed properly, and no front, low down camera.

10/3/2020

"Most luxury cars and even some in the affordable segments of the market feature a bird's eye view of the surroundings, helping the drivers maneuver the vehicle in tight spaces. Tesla models, sadly, are not among them, although Musk promised the feature almost three years ago. " Autoevolution 2/20/2023

So for many of us with the latest HW4, no USS and the latest software update 2023.6.11.2 we remain without functional Park Assist. I recall signing a "waiver" on my order that this feature would be absent until a future update becomes available. Yet from what I see, the latest release adds Park Assist to Models 3/Y only. We were promised that it would be available for 2023 Models S/X soon after 2023.6.11+ dropped. Can anyone confirm that it's still in the works for S/X owners, and if so, when? Navigating into parking garages, lots, etc. without any audible or graphical assistance is not easy with these rather large vehicles. Thanks in advance for your inputs.
It's showing park assist in the release notes for 2023.6.15 along with the 2023 build of fsd, but it's not yet known if it's for hw4 vehicles but it sure seems likely.

Reactions: mm9351
Musk said we would get 360 view in 2021. Of course FSD was 2020 or before. Probably the cameras are not aimed properly, and no front, low down camera.

10/3/2020

"Most luxury cars and even some in the affordable segments of the market feature a bird's eye view of the surroundings, helping the drivers maneuver the vehicle in tight spaces. Tesla models, sadly, are not among them, although Musk promised the feature almost three years ago. " Autoevolution 2/20/2023
We have it with FSD Beta...it's just rendered. Not the best, but I'm assuming that's the promised 360 view.

the-360-degree-view-that-fsd-provides-is-really-useful-v0-hi8cse25w64a1.jpg

FSD does not show parking space lines, curbs, walls of the garage, telephone poles, or many other inanimate objects that might be near the car for parking or navigating close spaces.
Mine shows most curbs, some objects, cars, and people, but this is absolutely the 360 view Elon mentioned.

I assume it will get better, but maybe not.

I don't believe it's available on legacy models or non-Beta cars currently.

Edit: There's a curb in the picture above fwiw.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Is that a curb or a wall? I don't get that view on my 2020, and I wouldn't call that 360 view -- it is a computer representation of some objects the computer is designed to recognize, but it is very limited in the objects rendered. Can you back over the "curb" in the image to park, or is it a wall or tall curb? There could be a telephone or other pole just in front of the Tesla parked, and the computer would not show you.

Is that a curb or a wall? I don't get that view on my 2020, and I wouldn't call that 360 view -- it is a computer representation of some objects the computer is designed to recognize, but it is very limited in the objects rendered. Can you back over the "curb" in the image to park, or is it a wall or tall curb? There could be a telephone or other pole just in front of the Tesla parked, and the computer would not show you.
It shows parking curbs...which near me are mostly cement blocks, but in the picture that's a sidewalk/curb. They are grey now, so not as easily seen, but show up more frequently.

It's exactly what Elon described. No it doesn't show painted lines, but cars, curbs, sidewalks, poles, and people appear to varying degrees. It's a vector space birds-eye view.

Reactions: pilotSteve
When I bought my car, this was the future camera 360 degree view. I see they dumbed the future down. Why wouldn't they show a vastly superior camera view? Probably with HW4, this will be possible. I also do not accept that FSD has been delivered yet. Call me skeptical. Image courtesy of Electrek.
Tesla-Bird-eye-view.jpg

When I bought my car, this was the future camera 360 degree view. I see they dumbed the future down. Why wouldn't they show a vastly superior camera view? Probably with HW4, this will be possible. I also do not accept that FSD has been delivered yet. Call me skeptical. Image courtesy of Electrek.
Tesla-Bird-eye-view.jpg
That's not possible as there's no front camera and won't be possible with HW4 as there are currently no front cameras, but that's not what Elon has described. He said he would use NN to render a depiction of a 360 view and that's what we got...You can say it's inadequate, which I agree with the varying degrees of accuracy projecting objects (it has been better with v11), but it works exactly as he's said in podcasts...so it is delivered.

To FSD, v11 is a huge, massive step forward...but it's still level 2 that sometimes does completely dumb *sugar*. I've had many great drives with 0 interventions, but I've also had the car try to turn into traffic. I have never believed it will ever make it to level 5 and don't think HW4 with 0 additional cameras gets it much closer, but if it continues to improve, for me, it's worth the 10k per car I've spent on it...even knowing it will never let me sleep in the back or come get me.

Elon spouts a lot of bullshit, but he never said we would get what you posted in the image above. The image I posted is exactly what he's described many times.

Reactions: DerbyDave
Tesla-Bird-eye-view.jpg
That is not a Tesla image.
A Chinese company put an after-market 360 camera setup on a Model S, and then used another third party hack adapter to bypass the backup camera's signal (switcher box, a TMC member here developed it) to b able to display it on the Tesla's 17" display. Tesla had Zero to do with this.

Take anything that Electrek says with a grain of salt. Without going into details, they are content thieves, and click bait 99% of the time, especially since Elon cut them off.

Reactions: uscbucsfan
Hw4 board has spots for 3 more cameras and based on the naming scheme in the teardown for where they will be located, when they do ship with the additional cameras, I'm sure we'll see a true 360 non-vector image.
No one knows if those 3 cameras will ever come to the S,3,X,Y. We know there are additional cameras on the CT and Semi, they could just be spots for those.

Reactions: StevenSD
No one knows if those 3 cameras will ever come to the S,3,X,Y. We know there are additional cameras on the CT and Semi, they could just be spots for those.
Agreed, though in my mind 3 bumper cameras seem to make the semi unlikely, cybertruck seems likely, and i have to assume if the current 8 aren‘t able to achieve parity with USS, might be in the future for the rest.

when they offered it for the classic s's wen they released t

It's showing park assist in the release notes for 2023.6.15 along with the 2023 build of fsd, but it's not yet known if it's for hw4 vehicles but it sure seems likely.
Nothing yet. My 2017 Model S had everything I wanted -- radar, USS, and vision. Now, with my 2023 Model S having only vision the back-wall of the garage will be getting dented. The bumper has a protrusion underneath that is very, very difficult to judge. Lots of FUD around this. Model S seems like the 'red-headed step-child' now that Model 3 and Y have all the attention.

Reactions: StevenSD
Nothing yet. My 2017 Model S had everything I wanted -- radar, USS, and vision. Now, with my 2023 Model S having only vision the back-wall of the garage will be getting dented. The bumper has a protrusion underneath that is very, very difficult to judge. Lots of FUD around this. Model S seems like the 'red-headed step-child' now that Model 3 and Y have all the attention.
Well the screwed the 3/Y's as well with removing the USS. Maybe if they add a lot more cameras back with HW4 it might not be terrible.

I’ve been able to park a giant 1980s Cadillac in My garage for 20+ years and never hit anything. How did you all survive before Tesla? or are you just trolling? 🧌

Reactions: kyne
We'll I'll assume you aren't trolling. Having owned a bunch of Caddies over the years, the 80's had monstrous chrome bumpers. Then most of them had rubber pads on them as well. I'd be more worried about the garage getting hurt than the car. ;) Unlikely to do much damage to them pulling into a garage unless you were at a high rate of speed.

By comparison, the painted surfaces on Tesla are a lot softer and fairly easily damaged. In one of my garage I have about 2 inches of clearance when the car is so that the garage door clears the bumper. The USS absolutely helps me more quickly and accurately park the car.

So why not take advantage of tech? When I first started flying I used maps and very primitive navigational aids. WIth the advent of GPS I could very precisely no my location.

The bigger issue at play is Telsa's recent track record of decontenting cars of important features with no replacement place ready to be used. Looking at the radar removal debacle I'd say it was a year before AP wasn't horrendous in my car. It still isn't at parity with cars that had radar enabled before.

I just sold my MS LR with radar. I had absolutely refused to upgrade the SW past the last version that supported the radar. When my wheel was installed to replace the yoke, they forced an update. I can tell you without any hesitation that being able to compare my old version of SW but with radar performed far better in my driving environment than pure TV.

So again with the removal of USS, we have a situation where Tesla rolls out something without an adequate replacement in place. They remove hardware and then try to use SW to make up for it. Once again it has been a huge cluster truck. I'd hate to bang the nose of my car into something because Tesla wanted to save a few bucks.

It also cost Tesla at least 110k in my case. I was interested in a new Plaid. After driving a car without USS, it was a simple decision to NOT BUY. the car without USS. USS or no USS may be a first world problem, but it still a problem, without it park assist, summon, and other features are neutered and who knows for how long.

When I am paying 100k for a car, I expect a certain amount of features and functionality. At the end of the day, I don't care what underlying technology provides it, I just want it to be fit for purpose and work how it should. Cars without USS don't have a parking aid system nearly as good as the outgoing USS cars. Until they add more cameras, it will be an issue. I voted with my dollars.