Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where do the written off Teslas go in Aus?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't believe it can be reversed in Australia but I'd love for someone to prove me wrong :)

In NSW, here is the only way to reverse a Statutory Write Off Vehicle
WOVR Eligibility.JPG

Only the current registered owner of a vehicle can have the opportunity to reverse the Statutory Writeoff on a vehicle unless the intention is to use the vehicle for Motorsport purposes

Hi lonewolf, thank you for the information. Almost all of that matches with my understanding and research except I hadn't noticed the motorsports exception. This sounds like an interesting one. Do you have any idea how to go about using/proving it? It still doesn't get around the 'damage so severe its unsafe to attempt repairs clause' which in my opinion is misapplied regularly to damage which is actually only 'not economically repairable' in the eyes of the assessor.

Hi lonewolf, thank you for the information. Almost all of that matches with my understanding and research except I hadn't noticed the motorsports exception. This sounds like an interesting one. Do you have any idea how to go about using/proving it? It still doesn't get around the 'damage so severe its unsafe to attempt repairs clause' which in my opinion is misapplied regularly to damage which is actually only 'not economically repairable' in the eyes of the assessor.
Sorry, can't help you there. Just used a part of the Service NSW website on Statutory Writeoffs to give you the information

I have no practical knowledge regarding the reversal of a car on the WOVR to be used for motorsport purposes

Stat dec in Australia cannot be reversed, unless you are the owner at time of accident and dispute the decision with your insurer. After that - it is done, no going back!

I'd be interested to hear from the flood damage purchasers. How bad was the ingress? Water in motors and battery pack would make the car pretty much worthless. 20+k for a lump of metal?

Stat dec in Australia cannot be reversed, unless you are the owner at time of accident and dispute the decision with your insurer. After that - it is done, no going back!
Plenty of going forwards though, off to the better side of the ditch ;)

I'd be interested to hear from the flood damage purchasers. How bad was the ingress? Water in motors and battery pack would make the car pretty much worthless. 20+k for a lump of metal?
Me too. I'm waiting for mine to get shipped over. My crashed P100D is going to provide the guts for the rebuild. Under NZ law I have to replace every last bit of electrics so I've let myself in for some hard labour!

Reactions: Tension and manic
Hey guys I don’t know if I should start a new thread?

I bought a 2015 70S from pickles not long ago with a stat write off status. I was originally going to use it for parts but when I got it home and started working on it I found that it was fully functional and had minimal if any sign of water damage.

Apparently the driver was passed by a bus which threw water on to the Tesla. The water got into the frunk and wet the battery a bit, Tesla removed the battery and it was assessed by a third party assessor but I’m sure it wasn’t assessed properly because the car is in perfect condition, it was making a steering related noise but I striped the rack apart and replaced the bearing and belt and it’s good as new. I know it’s been covered here that a stat can’t be ever registered again but at least if someone could sell me a chassis/shell that I can swap out/fill with all the Componenents I have. It would be such a waste if all those fantastic condition body parts and working components can’t be used. It’s a black Tesla btw, I can upload pics.

And to NiallDarwin I’m in Australia(Victoria) and May be Interested in your partnership idea.

Apparently the driver was passed by a bus which threw water on to the Tesla. The water got into the frunk and wet the battery a bit, .

Where on earth did you get that story from? There is no way a water splash from a bus is going to write off a Tesla. Water in the frunk is of no consequence. Also the frunk has a good weather seal, a splash is not going to get in there. Sounds like absolute bollocks.

I suggest you drain the oil from the motors /diffs as your first point of investigation. There is a breather on the top that takes on water if submerged.

That statement was made by the insurance company. I’ve also managed to get in contact with the owner. He’s told me that Tesla removed and checked the battery and that some water had gotten in to one cell and for safety reasons they deemed it written off(even though I would only see that as a repairable and not stat?) regardless it def was not submerged. And whatever water did get into the battery(if it did) has dried out and had no effect on it.