TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Where do the written off Teslas go in Aus?

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by eclectricdave, Jun 24, 2018.

1. NiallDarwin

NiallDarwin Right to Repair!

I mean, its not rocket science (that's SpaceX) and its not brain surgery (that's Neuralink). Its just a car....:p

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  2. NiallDarwin

I've heard reports of a Model S with a mismatched rear quarter driving around Canberra. Does anyone here know whose it is and who did the repair?
    I'm keen to hear about it :D

• Like x 1
  3. Hect1c

Hect1c New Member

Hi Niall, I've messaged you with the hopes we can do a deal on this or at least some parts. Let me know when you get a chance :)

4. NiallDarwin

Great! Where did you send your message? I haven't received one on any of my normal channels. (Although I haven't checked the fax machine o_O )

• Funny x 1
  5. Telepilot

Telepilot Member

Another model X repairable write off, front impact, 6 airbags visibly deployed also a minor dent visible on the rear. Looks ok from the images. 2017 TESLA Model X - Pickles

Attached Files:

• Like x 1
  6. nuckles

nuckles Member

Did anyone see how this one went. Missed the auction.

7. nuckles

nuckles Member

Silver x just went through auction. Sold at $21k should have jumped in that sounds like a good buy.

• Informative x 1
  8. manic

manic Member

I watched that one go through too. I think you could have got that back on the road for an additional 15-20k, DIY, no tesla certification. Not bad for a 2017 75d, even with a wovr record you would expect 80k open market if all fixed up properly and Tesla certified.

9. NiallDarwin

This isn't worth the virtual paper its saved to. Don't waste your time, money and sanity on Tesla Certification.

• Like x 1
  10. manic

manic Member

I know your story, and I wouldnt bother personally. But certification might have a positive effect on resale value. Some people are not very DIY, and would prefer to have teslas support.

11. NiallDarwin

I hear you however the second thing anyone ever asks me (after how fast is it?) is, 'Does it have Supercharging?'. Tesla do not and will not enable this. They barely enabled fast (CHAdeMO) charging. Without these the car's value is destroyed. If Tesla were to promise (and keep their promise) of these charging modes then I'd say it's worth it. But until then I stand by my statement.

• Like x 1
  12. NiallDarwin

....which is just an opinion and not fact o_O;)

13. Stice

Stice New Member

Hey Niall, I'm interested in the 'twisted SP100D'. Tried PM'ing you on FB if you check your message requests.
    Cheers

14. manic

manic Member

There is a significant difference between stat and repairable write off. Tesla Australia should support repairable write offs, certify and enable supercharging. But going by what you have been through, Niall, it wouldnt suprise me if they dont.

• Like x 1
  15. nuckles

nuckles Member

I dont care about the supercharger network being that I am about 1300km from the nearest supercharger and there are options like the Queensland electric highway

• Like x 1
  16. NiallDarwin

Cool! I don't do Facebook-I've messaged you here.

17. houdini

houdini Member

Stat write off Model X. Passed in at $14,000.

Attached Files:

• Informative x 1
  18. houdini

houdini Member

On a side note: I’m a bit annoyed at the stat write off’s that are appearing at these auctions. All the hail damaged cars from the last Sydney storm are coming up as stat write offs when they used to be repairable. I’ve bought a couple of late model low kms hail cars in the past and they’ve been awesome bargains. This Model X would be a pretty easy repair to get on the road again.

Statutory write offs are supposed to be when the car is not repairable to ever be safe on the roads again and there’s no way a hail damaged car won’t be safe on the roads - the damage is only cosmetic. But it seems the government regs allow the insurance company to decide whether it’s a stat write off or not. I assume they don’t want the hassle of ever having to re-insure these cars or they want to help out second hand car dealers and stop people buying cheap cars that are mechanically sound but have a few dings in them. There’s no way you can tell me a 2017 BMW 3 series with 8,000 kms on it and some hail dings on it isn’t going to be safe to drive on the road!

• Like x 1
  19. manic

manic Member

Agree. Only the cars owner can challenge a stat dec. After that, even if you find a car that clearly does not meet the guidelines for stat dec, there is nothing you can do about it. The inspectors can get away with ridiculous assessments so long as the owner does not object. And if they are challenged the inspector won't even get a slap on the wrist.

How many owners would be upset if they found out their insurance company wrote off to scrap when they could of repaired?

Quick resolution is what they are after, convenience is king, payout -> new car -> never mind the waste.

• Like x 1
  20. paulp

paulp Active Member

Fairly obvious why insurers are pulling out of tesla insurance

• Like x 1