Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where do the written off Teslas go in Aus?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Check the diff oils, if submerged by wave and car didnt sit disabled you might be OK, oils should be clear not milky.

I'm not sure how they can determine water in one cell. Perhaps one module in the battery pack reported an issue.

The individual cells in a module are connected via very thin and delicate exposed wire connections. If there is any moisture in the battery pack it would need to be cleared out. Corrosion creeps.

Generally Tesla prefer to replace the whole pack, because opening the pack to replace individual modules is a right pain in the ass.

Moisture in the battery pack would be a write off considering repair costs.

I'm suprised a brief submerge event penetrated it's way into the pack.

Export overseas to someone willing to clean-out/inspect/restore the pack, or strip down for parts. Its painful to break it up when all appears OK, but STATDEC in AU is pretty much game over.

Last edited:
Check the diff oils, if submerged by wave and car didnt sit disabled you might be OK, oils should be clear not milky.

I'm not sure how they can determine water in one cell. Perhaps one module in the battery pack reported an issue.

I will check the oil. You think transferring internals to a repairable write off chassis isn’t an option? Work/effort required aside ofcourse.

You wont find a registerable chassis in Aus. These cars are out here in very small numbers. When they are stripped down it is because they are STATDEC. Any repairable write off will be repaired wity only a few panels to replace. They will have better components than a water damaged vehicle.

You could look for a repairable write off and use the panels you have. But good luck finding one and then good luck with the maths. Either way, you will almost certainly be exporting or stripping down your STATDEC for parts.

I am about to start on a flooded car I got from Australia. Regardless of the visible damage, ALL of the airbags, seatbelts, SRS controllers and major controls need replacing with brand-new before it can be registered in NZ. I am far from convinced that this will be worthwhile (or even possible given the lockdown Tesla has on certain components). See here if you're keen:

Water damage - NZTA Vehicle Portal

This is of course in addition to fixing anything else which might actually be wrong.

The vehicle ID stays with the body so the flooded car cannot be used to re-shell a crashed car and so another perfectly good piece of Engineering and embodied energy gets thrown out while we scream about needing to live more sustainably

Thanks Niall for letting me know this group existed. If anyone in Australia is looking for tesla battery modules I will have x3 complete battery packs removed from low km damaged vehicles available soon.
X1 model x 75kw
X2 model s 85kw

I am planning to strip and sell the individual modules after testing is carried out on each cell.

I will add pricing once all cells are removed. Let me know if interested.

Cheers

hi guys,

I've just bought a Model S which was previously written off by the insurance company (due to impact damage). The car has been repaired, inspected and cleared for re-registration before I made the purchase and now I’ve got RWC and VicRoads successfully transferred the ownership to me. In addition, Tesla Sydney performed a High Voltage Safety Inspection last month and it passed the inspection and Tesla has also transferred the ownership to me in their system.

Questions:
- How do I get Tesla to reinstate supercharging since it's now roadworthy and registered by VicRoads? It passed High Voltage Safety inspection and it has no safety issue, I've even tested and passed CHAdeMO fast charging station at 110A, 200km/h
- Seems like they will also discontinue over-the-air updates which is totally unfair and unwarranted for a fully registered, roadworthy car. Any ideas how I should approach this matter?

I called Tesla customer support a few times but doesn't seem to get anywhere.

Thanks,
CV

- How do I get Tesla to reinstate supercharging since it's now roadworthy and registered by VicRoads? It passed High Voltage Safety inspection and it has no safety issue, I've even tested and passed CHAdeMO fast charging station at 110A, 200km/h

Tesla's policy is that Supercharging will never be reenabled. It is right in their policy on salvage vehicles:

Supercharging is permanently disabled.

My understanding is that they disable CHAdeMO charging at the same time as Supercharging. If CHAdeMO works for you have you tried Supercharging?

- Seems like they will also discontinue over-the-air updates which is totally unfair and unwarranted for a fully registered, roadworthy car. Any ideas how I should approach this matter?

My understanding is that passing the HV inspection would re-enable OTA updates.

hi guys,

I've just bought a Model S which was previously written off by the insurance company (due to impact damage). The car has been repaired, inspected and cleared for re-registration before I made the purchase and now I’ve got RWC and VicRoads successfully transferred the ownership to me. In addition, Tesla Sydney performed a High Voltage Safety Inspection last month and it passed the inspection and Tesla has also transferred the ownership to me in their system.

Questions:

Thanks,
CV
Is this the Model s 60, grey in colour that was on carsales? That car has been discussed quite a lot in these forums.

My understanding is that they disable CHAdeMO charging at the same time as Supercharging. If CHAdeMO works for you have you tried Supercharging?

Yes, I've tried Supercharging but it did not work. I think Supercharging is disabled on Tesla's side not the vehicle, which is why when the car is communicated through a Supercharger, Tesla recognized the car which has been disabled. Since CHAdeMO is not part of Tesla's network (here in Australia), I'm still able to utilize it.

My understanding is that passing the HV inspection would re-enable OTA updates.
Are you able confirm this Mike and do you know if it's officially written anywhere?

Thanks again!

Where’s my popcorn :)
I hope you've got your popcorn ready.

OK, sorry buddy. I've been through this. You don't get updates and you don't get Supercharging. Until I shouted and screamed at them here in AU/NZ you didn't even get CHADEMO. Here's my gripes:
Supercharging promised but not delivered

And here's my youtubes:

Tesla Vs Us - YouTube

I think they are treating us terribly but at least they are now clear about it. When I went through it none of them seemed to know the joint in their arm from the thing they sit on.

• Informative
Reactions: houdini and Tension
Buying written off cars is always a high risk venture no matter what may have been promised or said would be fine by the previous owner, gov dept, Telsa ...anybody. EV's are a very high risk category to work on with high voltage battery packs. Its simply not the same as a conventional ICE project. Most back yarders trying to rebirth on the cheap would not have the skills of qualifications to work with HV DC voltages.
If people ignore or are unaware of Tesla's general attitude to reinstating written off vehicles, its unfortunate that they find themselves in that position.

Bagging Telsa is unjustified for what is already generally known about their stance toward written off vehicles. They also have a more at stake if they allow written off vehicles back onto their network and subsequently find HV checks or other issues have not been correctly repaired by backyard operators etc.

Reactions: Tension
Hi, it’s my first post.......I got banned from a French car forum because I discussed the battery revolution which led to discussion about Tesla - Sandy Munro and Jack Rickard etc.
I seem to recall something about wrecks and the associated IP they contain making insurance companies wary of insuring one.
Can anyone confirm there is substance in this?.

This may be a good place to publicise my need. I'm looking for a charge port, charge door and RL light with charging indicator all from an older spec Model S:

WTB Model S EU/AU Spec Charge Port inc Door & RL Light, Magnetic Type

Cheers :)

Also:
Bagging Telsa is unjustified for what is already generally known about their stance toward written off vehicles.
I totally disagree, bagging someone or thing for a deliberately awkward approach is the most justifiable time to bag someone or thing.

Reactions: Hungry Mile
hi guys,

Questions:

Thanks,
CV

Why in God's name would you do this to yourself?

• Funny
Reactions: NiallDarwin