Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where do you charge your Tesla Model S?

Where do you primarily charge your car? (primarily...not always, but your main charging choice)

• I primarily charge at home

Votes: 137 79.2%
  • I primarily charge at work (charging station accessible where I park)

Votes: 21 12.1%
  • I don't have access to home/work charging so I primarily charge at public L2/L3 stations where I can

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I don't have access to home/work charging so I primarily charge at Tesla Superchargers

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • I DO have home/work charging available but I prefer to charge for free at Tesla Superchargers

Votes: 6 3.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you cite a source indicating street lamps have 50 amp services? I looked into the specifications for street lighting in Toronto and we have no such capacity whatsoever.

I'm afraid I'm working from memory. Watch they fully charged episode where they talked about the company that's making the street light adapter systems
Can you cite a source indicating street lamps have 50 amp services? I looked into the specifications for street lighting in Toronto and we have no such capacity whatsoever.

I'm working from memory unfortunately. I did watch a fully charged episode interviewing the company people that did the streetlamp charging adapter. I could have been wrong, maybe they only allowed 20 amps through the charging system. Might be worth going over to that site and see if you can find the episode. They give the name of the company and the contact information.

I'm afraid I'm working from memory. Watch they fully charged episode where they talked about the company that's making the street light adapter systems

I'm working from memory unfortunately. I did watch a fully charged episode interviewing the company people that did the streetlamp charging adapter. I could have been wrong, maybe they only allowed 20 amps through the charging system. Might be worth going over to that site and see if you can find the episode. They give the name of the company and the contact information.
This appears to be the episode, although I couldn't find where they said it has 50 amps to the lamp post, either way its a really smart and neat idea!

I've seen the episode too. I looked into street light standards in Toronto and it's not going to work here. May vary by municipality but mark me as skeptical there will be any meaningful amount of spare distribution capacity in the street lights of any North American city.

I've seen the episode too. I looked into street light standards in Toronto and it's not going to work here. May vary by municipality but mark me as skeptical there will be any meaningful amount of spare distribution capacity in the street lights of any North American city.

It is surprising that there isn't at least 30 amp to each street light which, with a switch from sodium vapor to LED, should certainly leave 10 amps available. At 240 volt that would make for a great overnight or at work charge rate. But, of course, there is always something to muck up the works!

Used to charge at home, but then Tesla was so nice to install a Supercharger at the local 24h supermarket. Now we get to do two things at once! Sweet!
And the SuperCharger Gestapo hasn't come bangin' on your door in the middle of the night? There's a contingent out there that believes that unless your life is in imminent danger you should not use a "local" SuperCharger, no matter how convenient or practical, if home charging is possible.

The first week, before HPWC was installed, used local Nissan dealer's L2 at night. Walking distance. Whole Foods is closer, but their chargers are powered off at night.

Now charge at home. When it was warmer, started charge just after midnight. With cold weather, start charge about 04:30 so battery will be a bit warmer. Dialed back charge rate so it would stretch nearly until my wife will use the car. HPWC on 240 Volt / 100 Amp service.

SuperChargers on the road. Unsatisfactory experience with the few L2 chargers we've tried. Brought a friend's 50-foot welder's extension cord for a long weekend on Cape Cod. Made an adapter with dryer plug on one end, 6-50 socket on the other. We used the dryer outlet, running the extension cord to the basement and out a casement window near the driveway. Figure that will be our mobile charging kit.

ny meaningful amount of spare distribution capacity in the street lights

Just a thought: talk here of both saving energy and reducing light pollution to turn off street lamps after, say, midnight. So power then available for EV street-charging. Daytime not a problem too of course ... but that will be hopeless when you must charge during early evening ... but if only a few people on a streetlamp circuit actually need to do that then "maybe"?

And the SuperCharger Gestapo hasn't come bangin' on your door in the middle of the night? There's a contingent out there that believes that unless your life is in imminent danger you should not use a "local" SuperCharger, no matter how convenient or practical, if home charging is possible.

I still charge at home every once in a while (battery/cabin heat before heading out), but I make it a priority to charge there because it still shows people that EVs exist. In doing so, I have had people approach to ask or talk about it. I like to make it a point to them that the car is done charging before I'm done shopping. Makes them start to rethink how they use their time. This happens especially when I go shop at odd hours (barely anyone there). So unless that Gestapo does not like spreading the gospel...