Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where is the enhanced autopilot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I forget where it is on this thread, but regarding stopped vehicles, I had an experience today. I was driving along a rural highway and a garbage truck had pulled over. It was maybe half on the shoulder and half on the road. As I came upon it I thought it’d be interesting to see if it stops on its own. I’ve had it stop for cars in the lane, but this was a case where the stopped vehicle wasn’t all the way in the lane. Just a split second before I was getting ready to tap the brake the car started automatically breaking. So I still can’t speak to fire truck recognition, but it appears garbage truck recognition is done! 2018.18.2

I encountered a situation with a van partially in my lane at 55mph on Mannheim and my car stopped but it was about 1/5 in my lane. It never appeared in the IC and I had my foot hovering to brake but the car slowed and I disengaged AP (because it wasn't steering around it) and moved over a lane (no auto lane change as it wasn't a freeway....).

I'm not sure if its applicable as the car wasn't angled in my case and the firetruck, if my recollection serves, was angled such that only its rear was partially in the lane. That was 2018.12.

Also, just today (2018.18), I had a car pull a quick left turn in front me as I was approaching an intersection and my car did the FCW and slowed (AP engaged) but I simultaneously hit my brakes and honked so I don't know if the car was going to fully brake or not. I definitely wish we had AutoHonk as a feature. FWIW, I've never had FCW while AP was engaged.

Hopefully the improved AP has an even better NN. This one is pretty damn good but it needs to be better to handle more situations.

Nope, nope, and nope. But the difference is that when EAP is available, I won't get those features. I'm positive Tesla won't gift EAP to me, especially since I explicitly declined to pay for EAP. However, I'll be sure to follow-up if EAP ever does see the light of day.
So you do not have AP1 Features. Then do you have ANY AP2 Features.

1. Can you activate TACC? Traffic Aware Cruise Control? One pull from the left lower stock?
2. Can you activate Steering Assist? Two pulls from the left lower stock?

If you have either of 1 or 2 you have EAP.

I forget where it is on this thread, but regarding stopped vehicles, I had an experience today. I was driving along a rural highway and a garbage truck had pulled over. It was maybe half on the shoulder and half on the road. As I came upon it I thought it’d be interesting to see if it stops on its own. I’ve had it stop for cars in the lane, but this was a case where the stopped vehicle wasn’t all the way in the lane. Just a split second before I was getting ready to tap the brake the car started automatically breaking. So I still can’t speak to fire truck recognition, but it appears garbage truck recognition is done! 2018.18.2
That is good to hear.

So you do not have AP1 Features. Then do you have ANY AP2 Features.

1. Can you activate TACC? Traffic Aware Cruise Control? One pull from the left lower stock?
2. Can you activate Steering Assist? Two pulls from the left lower stock?

If you have either of 1 or 2 you have EAP.

Yes. Yes. But no, I don't. Accept that it's a strange build due to timing. When the EAP features like on-ramp to off-ramp are released, I'll happily post about whether I'm able to use them without upgrading. I recently spoke with my local SC staff, and they told me that in my case, there's no reason to upgrade any time soon, that I should wait for more feature to be released before shelling out the post-delivery upgrade fee.

I had another case of phantom braking today that was even more violent than past events. I was on EAP set to 75 Mph on the 91 toll road just before the toll road splits with the right lane going to the 55 and Newport Beach and the left lane connecting into the 91 Fwy toward Anaheim when the car suddenly sounded the collision audible alert while slamming on the brakes for about 2 seconds before it let off. I didn't get a chance to check if it flashed red or not. Cars on the other side of the repeating rubber pole lane divider were stopped or nearly stopped. There was no one close in front and fortunately not behind me either. It was so hard and fast that my neck was sore afterwards. I entered a bug report shortly after via voice command. I am anxious for the update that eliminates this false positive. It apparently thought I was about to hit the stopped cars on the other side of the divide as there was a curve in the road and it might have made them appear to be in my lane even though they weren't.

Yes. Yes. But no, I don't. Accept that it's a strange build due to timing. When the EAP features like on-ramp to off-ramp are released, I'll happily post about whether I'm able to use them without upgrading. I recently spoke with my local SC staff, and they told me that in my case, there's no reason to upgrade any time soon, that I should wait for more feature to be released before shelling out the post-delivery upgrade fee.
I think I now understand what you are saying. And, I agree with the local SC. Who knows you may still get everything we "regular" EAP Cars get.

Had some nice experience yesterday as well:

I was driving at around 70km/h, with AP (2) engaged. The traffic in front of me slowed down at a traffic light. The first car before me was quite far in the distance but was probably tracked by the AP. My car started braking slowly. Then the car in front (still quite far from me at that moment) moved to another lane. My MS stopped the braking since it thought the lane was free to go.

Except that there was another car in front of that one, which was already stopped there before my car could have seen it. It took only about 1 second for my car to brake again and to slowly come to a complete stop behind that car.

The whole was quite smooth, except for the 1 second hesitation between the moment the first car moved away and my car "catched" the second (stopped) car.

I don't think anyone thinks that FSD is easy. Of course, we know even L3 presents some serious challenges. But what separates the optimists from the nay-sayers is that we have confidence that Tesla can figure it out. The nay-sayers just want to focus on how difficult the problem is.

Nah, its a debate between people who who work with complex systems and history majors.

Where is the enhanced Autopilot?

Obviously it will become really "enhanced" when Tesla announces to switch back to use camera vision as the primary sensor. Cameras are HW2's advantages, not radar.

All these instances of phantom brakings and non detecting/stopping at stationary objects from >50mph are all caused by using radar as the primary sensor. Since HW1 and the first day of Autopilot, camera vision was thought to handle AEB when computer vision in a mobile environment would be solved by Tesla (and the then Mobileye). Hopefully. :)

As frustrating as it is, I think Tesla's slow incremental approach will give us a much better product in the end because they are making sure each individual piece is working right before adding more complexity.

• Funny
Reactions: Matias
As frustrating as it is, I think Tesla's slow incremental approach will give us a much better product in the end because they are making sure each individual piece is working right before adding more complexity.

I'm afraid I suspect the "slow incremental approach" you talk about within Tesla looks like a "mad dash to the finish line". We're already seeing some releases seemingly take us backwards and not forwards, they've missed a load of milestones and if they can get stuff out there, they would, as soon as possible. Tomorrow is too late for Musk. Auto wipers took forever and didn't work in the dark as another evidence point so the bits don't even work well when first released.

I'm obviously someone used to running large complex IT deliveries and I don't have a history major.

I'm afraid I suspect the "slow incremental approach" you talk about within Tesla looks like a "mad dash to the finish line". We're already seeing some releases seemingly take us backwards and not forwards, they've missed a load of milestones and if they can get stuff out there, they would, as soon as possible. Tomorrow is too late for Musk. Auto wipers took forever and didn't work in the dark as another evidence point so the bits don't even work well when first released.

I'm obviously someone used to running large complex IT deliveries and I don't have a history major.

Well, as the saying goes, "better late than never". I prefer Tesla to be late and eventually give us a finished EAP and eventually FSD too than to just give up and not give us anything at all.

Well, as the saying goes, "better late than never". I prefer Tesla to be late and eventually give us a finished EAP and eventually FSD too than to just give up and not give us anything at all.
Better late than never has common sense limits. Like, maybe, the life of the lease? or the life of the car? What happens when FSD is ready and my car cameras don't work anymore and aren't covered under warranty?
I was once optimistic like you, but it's worn on me. I've come to the conclusion that my car will never have FSD. Once I accepted that, I was able to enjoy the car much more. I still love it! I'm driving a Cadillac while mine's in the body shop getting minor body work done (well, $12k worth). After driving this Caddy I've realized that I will never own another ICE, ever!

Better late than never has common sense limits. Like, maybe, the life of the lease? or the life of the car? What happens when FSD is ready and my car cameras don't work anymore and aren't covered under warranty?

True but I was thinking more "big picture". Tesla still needs to aim at getting to finished EAP and then FSD to stay competitive in the market and to provide additional value to those future customers even if it does not, sadly, ever benefit current customers.