Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where's the charging port?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some more pics....but no more evidence ;(

btw. First time i saw the beta steering wheel ... ;)

attachment.php?attachmentid=2286&d=1312825030.jpg

3432630859_6dc1f4c58f_b_d.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=2287&d=1312825444.jpg

01-tesla-model-s-development-1300678196.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=2288&d=1312825449.jpg

08-tesla-model-s-development-1300678215.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=2289&d=1312825452.jpg

12-tesla-model-s-development-1300678226.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=2290&d=1312825454.jpg

27-tesla-model-s-development.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=2284&d=1312824475.jpg

tesla-model-s-alpha-build-detroit-6301.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=2285&d=1312824490.jpg

Tesla1.jpg

Just saw the prototype today in S FL. There's a port on the drivers side rear that looks like a fuel filler but I was told it might wind up under the rear lens cover where it curves around onto the back fender.

Charge port in taillight ?

I'm wondering if the charge port may be hidden behind the taillight assembly, similar to the 1950's Chevy Bel-Air.

On one of the photos above, you can see a white Model S's taillight area. There are a couple of small fastener holes and a couple of access holes, but there also seems to be a channel in the side of the chassis leading forward. *That* channel may be suitable for a hefty charging cable - that is, if the taillight assembly pops out to expose a charge port.

That would definitely be oh-too-cool.

Ardie

For a moment, I thought "behind the license plate", but then realized that the whole hatch lifts so it wouldn't really be practical there.
10389755-623x415.jpg

More recently I started to wonder about "behind a pop out tail-light", and then find others are thinking about that too...
cadillac54_eldo-16.jpg

images

images

Last edited:
View attachment 2295

You mean the one with the paper stuffed in it? Can't be...look at the black car further along, that is a bracket hole for the bumper.

Nope! The one on the right that is in the taillight recess. There is one to the left (looks white) and a right one. Both appear too small for a 80amp cable to go through let alone any kind mounting hole for a massive socket and a receiver for a flip mechanism as TEG found. It just looks like the one on the other side in the pictures. Based on these Alphas I think the taillight idea is a no go.

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/tesla-model-s-development/#photo-3985339/

Last edited:

From: Model S: Designing the Perfect Endurance Athlete | Blog | Tesla Motors

Where is the charge port located?

Franz: The charge port is located toward the rear of the car, on the driver’s side. The majority of charging happens at home so this is the most functional location. Similar to the door handles, the charge port door hides when not in use. It was important to me to make charging a unique experience. You’ll see on the Beta vehicles, the charge port looks nothing like a traditional fuel door.

Agree. Advance a couple of frames and it looks different; also I wonder if the haunches are really wide enough; also it would be rather awkward to plug in almost vertically (think: weight of the cable etc.)

View attachment 2270

So lets say a hidden door opens and a snap in module on a riser comes up out of the "fender"...? For example with a J1772 module attached:
attachment.php?attachmentid=2307&d=1312912729.jpg

(Then you plug in horizontally, not vertically...)

My guess is the Alpha builds don't have any hidden charge port mechanism, rather they charge the Alphas by opening the rear hatch.
The betas (coming soon) may have the new hidden charge port.

Attachments

• haunchpop.jpg
    haunchpop.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 254
Last edited: