Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where's the charging port?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The thread is: Where's the Charging Port?

Without specific info all we can do is speculate -though now we seem to focus on how not where. If you tire of this endless guessing game then don't read this thread...

The thread is: Where's the Charging Port?

Without specific info all we can do is speculate -though now we seem to focus on how not where. If you tire of this endless guessing game then don't read this thread...

As stated:

Well, I guess it COULD be fun... if the speculations were even in the ball park! Most of the talk going on is ignoring factual statements given directly from the designer. Unless we're playing Alternate Reality Model S -- in which case, have at it.

The annoyance was due to endless speculatory posts that seemed to ignored the known quantity. We've been told where it is, so why are we guessing under bumpers and hoods and such? I thought the speculation on HOW it would work was cool.

What proof do we have of where the port is? I have not read anything that says that Tesla has even decided where it would be or if it's a J type contact plug or induction plate or other Nikola Tesla designed power transmission scheme. If they have a plug in mind then it's probably in the front under the hood where you can store your charge cable or in the trunk where the auxiliary power squirrel cage sits.

Franz mentioned it in the Q&A, that the charge port was in the back. It only makes sense since the PEM is also in the back.
What proof do we have of where the port is? I have not read anything that says that Tesla has even decided where it would be or if it's a J type contact plug or induction plate or other Nikola Tesla designed power transmission scheme. If they have a plug in mind then it's probably in the front under the hood where you can store your charge cable or in the trunk where the auxiliary power squirrel cage sits.

...It only makes sense since the PEM is also in the back...
For what it is worth, the Nissan Leaf has the charging port in the front, but the charger in the back. They run the AC recharge lines from the front of the vehicle to the back. Perhaps not the most elegant, but it is just some wires...

For such puny current, it probably doesn't matter too much.

Yeah, I was thinking that. Thin gauge wire. But they do have the CHAdeMO port too. I haven't traced where those wires go, but I suspect they make a shorter path to the battery pack.
In any case, it is possible to put the charge port just about anywhere, and snake the lines to the charger, wherever it may be. Mostly just a (somewhat minor) cost and weight issue if they are far apart.

By the way, for CHAdeMO, I wonder if the DC connects direct to the battery pack, or has to go through some other circuitry first? Is it up to the stationary CHAdeMO charger to output DC voltage exactly matched to what the pack needs? The protocol between car and CHAdeMO charger isn't exactly public domain...

For the umpteenth time...

Franz mentioned it in the Q&A, that the charge port was in the back. It only makes sense since the PEM is also in the back.

Just in case you missed it yet again :wink:

..Now, what it LOOKS like? Speculate away.

What proof is there where the charge port is?

This is the jist of this thread.

One more time: Model S: Designing the Perfect Endurance Athlete | Blog | Tesla Motors

Where is the charge port located?

Franz: The charge port is located toward the rear of the car, on the driver’s side. The majority of charging happens at home so this is the most functional location. Similar to the door handles, the charge port door hides when not in use. It was important to me to make charging a unique experience. You’ll see on the Beta vehicles, the charge port looks nothing like a traditional fuel door.