Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which charger is everyone going with? wall charger or portable plug in?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The wall connector can be installed at I believe 13 different amperage settings up to a 100amp circuit.

The 14-50 certainly does allow you to plug in other things but I have to think welders and RVs are not in a lot of Tesla garages.
The outlet is another potential failure point and we have seen those posts of melted outlets.

I got by on a 14-30 the first 11 months I had my car, and a family emergency one time caused me to "need" but not have a faster option at home so I sprung for the wall connector. My 5yo S can charge at 80amps which is 58miles per hour, very rarely use it but really glad I have it when I do make use.

Agreed!
Screenshot_20191121-223418.png

The NEMA 14-50 has numerous advantages over the HPWC, one of the biggest is its versatility. You can use it to charge visiting SUVs, you can plug motor home into it, and a number of other options that may or may not ever occur.
The HPWC can indeed charge a little faster, I've never needed it though.

Probably one of the larger issues is that adding a 100A breaker may be somewhere between impossible to expensive. A 100A panel is common on older homes, so this would require new service. A 200A panel is common on most homes and taking 100A out is a big undertaking.

Indeed, I kept my 14-50 outlet as a backup to use my mobile connector should the wall connector fail.

Jason. Get the 240 and thank us later.

as someone here said before. It really means you can’t afford the car if you can’t pay to get 240 installed. There’s more then just the payments. That means 240 should go under maintenance.. if you can’t get 240 how can you afford tires later???

thia story just reminded me of a 16 year old saying he could afford the payments on a shiny new bmw m3. We all did caps and said, NO YOU CANNOT. You can’t pay for one tire which is $500. No you cannot afford the car...

Jason. Get the 240 and thank us later.

as someone here said before. It really means you can’t afford the car if you can’t pay to get 240 installed. There’s more then just the payments. That means 240 should go under maintenance.. if you can’t get 240 how can you afford tires later???

thia story just reminded me of a 16 year old saying he could afford the payments on a shiny new bmw m3. We all did caps and said, NO YOU CANNOT. You can’t pay for one tire which is $500. No you cannot afford the car...
While I agree with large parts of these comments, not everyone needs fast charging.Most of America has a 25 minute commute.This translates into about 50 miles per day. If you plug into 120V 15A nightly, then you should have no issues whatsoever.
There is a lot of folks that work from home, 0 mile commute. My wife charges off of 120V but only plugs in once or twice a week.

Sure, "there may be times" and in these cases there are often other options available, Superchargers, Destination Chargers, and CHAdeMO are close to many people. And L2 chargers tend to run rampant in most areas.

There are a lot of folks for which installing 240V charging could cost greater than $5,000. If you live in a house with 100A service or less, then it is really expensive. If you live in apartments or condos, then it ranges from $5,000 to not ever possible.
Should these folks be denied EV driving?

Sure, if you can't afford $500, or $1000, then the choice of vehicles should be questioned. But on the other hand, adding $1,000 to the cost of operation of the car can make it more expensive than some ICE.

Reactions: Rocky_H
First of all, these cars are not that expensive and this BS if you can't afford the charger YOU installed, then we can't afford the car... I already bought. (Performance w/all the trimmings). I live in Malibu and we are really bored with electricians doubling their bids because of our address. Plus... having a functioning brain stem, and wanting to have a little fun, I installed the 240 outlet in under an hour, total cost: $80. As a writer I work from home 90% of the time. So, the install was partly fun, partly principle.

A friend had an automatic generator installed at his house for under $8k. Same company quoted us $67k. But hey, if you can't afford the generator, how can you afford the house!? What an arrogant, stupid conversation.

I went with just a NEMA 14-50. It's worked fine for almost seven years. Mostly the commute has been 25 miles one way and sometimes 30, so 60-70 miles per day. The advantages of a 14-50 vs. 120V charging is that it's more efficient (wall to car drain), and quicker. Can be used any type of EV.

The advantages of an HPWC are: One less plugin connection. Faster rate of charge is possible. Longer cord. Can be installed outside without protection. Can share power between two cars. So if you have, or are planning to get, two Teslas or have a short TOU the HPWC is the way to go.