Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which is the best App to use for remotely accessing the Tesla?

Which mobile operating system are you using for your mobile phone

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just in case you didn't know this yet, if your Model S is unlocked, just briefly press on the charge port door and it will open for you - quicker and more convenient than using any app.

That only works if you are carrying your key FOB and it unlocks the car doors first. I usually am not carrying my keys around when at home so if I decide to hook up I had to go to the other side of the house where I keep my keys. With the watch for Tesla app. I can just tap on the complication controls and unlock it. Don't even need my iphone with me.

That only works if you are carrying your key FOB and it unlocks the car doors first. I usually am not carrying my keys around when at home so if I decide to hook up I had to go to the other side of the house where I keep my keys. With the watch for Tesla app. I can just tap on the complication controls and unlock it. Don't even need my iphone with me.
Of course, many options are available - use whichever is most convenient. Me personally I don't wear a watch around the house - heck, usually a pretty good bet that if I'm wearing a watch I also have a fob in my pocket, i.e. I am leaving the house. Btw, if it's in your own garage, you can set the option to not auto-lock the car at home and simply leave it unlocked. The fob or app is not needed to open the charge door if the car is already unlocked.

Just in case you didn't know this yet, if your Model S is unlocked, just briefly press on the charge port door and it will open for you - quicker and more convenient than using any app.

Does this only work starting from some model year, or is it an Euro / USA difference? But my 2013 euro S most certainly does not open the port when pressing on it.

However it's very easy to open by holding the keyfob trunk button, that's what I have been using..

Also european public charging cables (type2 or CCS) don't have the release button. Only way to get the cable out is to hold the keyfob until charge port clicks (unlocks), then remove the cable. Or you can use the app obviously. In theory the center display also works but you have to be really quick, as the port will relock in a few seconds. So you end up running between drivers seat and charging port and still missing it by a few microseconds.. :)

It's not very intuitive. First time at CCS charger, I must have spent something like 5min figuring out how to get the cable out. :) But the fob is easy, no problem anymore now that I figured it out.

Does this only work starting from some model year, or is it an Euro / USA difference? But my 2013 euro S most certainly does not open the port when pressing on it.

However it's very easy to open by holding the keyfob trunk button, that's what I have been using..

Also european public charging cables (type2 or CCS) don't have the release button. Only way to get the cable out is to hold the keyfob until charge port clicks (unlocks), then remove the cable. Or you can use the app obviously. In theory the center display also works but you have to be really quick, as the port will relock in a few seconds. So you end up running between drivers seat and charging port and still missing it by a few microseconds.. :)

It's not very intuitive. First time at CCS charger, I must have spent something like 5min figuring out how to get the cable out. :) But the fob is easy, no problem anymore now that I figured it out.

There are Type 2 cables that have the button available. Tesland has them in Europe. 8 meters long too.

So you end up running between drivers seat and charging port and still missing it by a few microseconds.. :)

In the US, the unlock button on the center screen charging window keeps it unlocked for much longer. I never tested to see if and when it relocks but I never had to rush to pull it out. Here, the long press on the FOB trunk also works.

Note- my garage is too small and I use it as a work shop so I don't keep the cars in it. Therefore I need a fob, phone or my watch to open the port when it is locked. I wear my Apple watch all the time except when it is charging. It is more than just a time piece. I rarely use my phone for phone calls as the watch works so well. So for me having an app for my two EV's on the watch is the most efficient way until Elon plants a transmitter in my head. Then I can just think- Open the charge port and it is so. :)

IIRC in the US it works on any charging port with auto-close, so starting some time in 2014 I think. I don't know if Euro version works differently, but even in US 2013 models did not have the auto-close charge port.

Also european public charging cables (type2 or CCS) don't have the release button. Only way to get the cable out is to hold the keyfob until charge port clicks (unlocks), then remove the cable.
Interesting. Do other EV's in Europe just not lock their ports at all, or do they have the same issue of having to trigger the unlock through some other means (or maybe it unlocks by itself once charging stops)?

Interesting. Do other EV's in Europe just not lock their ports at all, or do they have the same issue of having to trigger the unlock through some other means (or maybe it unlocks by itself once charging stops)?

They all lock the cable. Most type2 charging stations are not tethered, so everyone carries their own cable in the trunk. The cable is locked from both ends, the charger also locks it. This way it's impossible to steal the cable.

Some chargers unlock if charging finishes, so cable can be removed and another car start charging. But cable is still stuck to the car, so it can't be stolen.

Most EVs unlock the cable when car doors are unlocked. Tesla doesn't, you need to unlock it separately.

• Informative
Reactions: whitex
I don't recall but I don't believe my Nissan Leaf locks the charging cable to the car. Most of the time I have my FOB with me so that may unlock it behind the scenes. I'll have to check it next time by trying to remove the cable when I don't have my FOB on me.

What year is your Leaf? Older models used Type1 connector, same as in the US. It never locks. I had the same in my Outlander PHEV. It was a bit awkward leaving it charging knowing that someone could steal the cable, if charging station releases it..

I checked it this morning and the Nissan Leaf has no lock on either the Chademo nor the J1772. The Chademo does require I stop charging with the stop button on the cabinet before it will release the plug. Anyone could walk up and unhook either charging cable.

The Tesla is a secure lock but the adapter to J1772 needs a special locking ring to keep the charger cable and plug from separating.
IMG_1998.jpg