Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which Trim is the Best Value?

Which Model 3 Trim Offers the Best Value?

• SR

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SR+

Votes: 41 42.7%
  • MR

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • LR RWD

Votes: 36 37.5%
  • LR AWD

Votes: 7 7.3%
  • Performance

Votes: 9 9.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that we have six distinct trims and 5 different range options to choose from, which trim level do you think offers the best value per dollar?

I personally think the LR RWD is the sweet spot of the range offering the longest range and premium interior for a middle of the pack price. Compared to the trim level below (MR) it offers 19% more range and 4% better performance at 7% additional cost. Compared to the one trim up (LR AWD) it has 5% more range and 10% slower acceleration at 8.5% lower cost. I put winter tires on all of our cars (including the mighty Miata) so winter traction shouldn't be an issue from my perspective even with RWD but depending on your situation AWD might be well worth the price premium...

Next up the SR+ looks like the second best value offering 8% range and 5% performance boost and more interior features at 5% additional cost.

Last edited:
The LR for sure. The range increase from SR+ to LR is highly significant. I had a Model S 70D with 240 range and it just wasn't enough to go out of town, especially in the winter. At 325 miles for the LR, almost all reasonable trips (except to remote mountains) is easily doable.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
The short range is essentially unusable if you do any freeway driving imo. If a LR AWD can only get like 240 miles to a full charge in normal conditions, the SR would be lucky to get 150. Factor in cold weather and that number drops even more.Those figures are only useful for city driving.

if you're in warm weather and using as a daily driver, then SR+.

Esp. if it's software locked like the S 70 etc, and Tesla might unlock for fee in the future.

Unless the charger speed is much slower?

People need to realize that as more and more superchargers roll out, the rated range will not matter as much and the charge rate will be what matters. That's why I believe the 240 miles of range or even the 220 miles will be enough in 2-3 years when the number of superchargers go up.

Run the scenario on the SR+, which is probably the best base configuration IMHO

240 EPA => 200 freeway range in warm weather, but that 100% to zero.
More realistically on a road trip 85% to 15%, so usable range between charges of 140 miles, and maybe down to 110 miles in the middle of winter.

Reactions: RBowen
Run the scenario on the SR+, which is probably the best base configuration IMHO

240 EPA => 200 freeway range in warm weather, but that 100% to zero.
More realistically on a road trip 85% to 15%, so usable range between charges of 140 miles, and maybe down to 110 miles in the middle of winter.

The charge rate will be the main factor as the number of superchargers increase. Let's say there was a supercharger every 25 miles of interstate. You could comfortably delay supercharging until you were at 5%. Then supercharge for 15 minutes (for 120 miles of range) and make your way to the next supercharger 100 miles away. As long as the next supercharger was within the range you get for 15 minutes of charging, you will be able to make your destination.

Until anyone knows what battery packs are actually in the base or midrange cars it is virtually impossible to place a "best" value on specific trim levels. If the base car has a software limited bigger battery then that seriously increases the value of them as far as usable max range. It’s the same thing with the 2016 model S and X 60’s that had the software limited packs, getting the same effective range and performance as a 75 pack at a discounted price. Virtually no one charges to 100 percent daily except for the software limited pack owners because their 100 is really only 80 percent.

Until anyone knows what battery packs are actually in the base or midrange cars it is virtually impossible to place a "best" value on specific trim levels. If the base car has a software limited bigger battery then that seriously increases the value of them as far as usable max range. It’s the same thing with the 2016 model S and X 60’s that had the software limited packs, getting the same effective range and performance as a 75 pack at a discounted price. Virtually no one charges to 100 percent daily except for the software limited pack owners because their 100 is really only 80 percent.

Except we know this already even if it is not official yet. SR and SR+ has the same pack with a short tray allowing fewer cells. MR has the same long tray as LR but with fewer cells and LR has the long tray with all the cell spots filled.

• Informative
Except we know this already even if it is not official yet. SR and SR+ has the same pack with a short tray allowing fewer cells. MR has the same long tray as LR but with fewer cells and LR has the long tray with all the cell spots filled.
We don’t actually know that unless someone has actually verified that. No one has ever seen a SR car, and I don’t think anyone has ever opened a MR pack either unless you know something everyone else doesn’t.

We don’t actually know that unless someone has actually verified that. No one has ever seen a SR car, and I don’t think anyone has ever opened a MR pack either unless you know something everyone else doesn’t.

Sean Mitchell had a video (I believe quoting Elon) mentioning MR pack being same tray as LR with fewer batteries. And the whole reason why the $35k model was possible is because of the new battery design that is much more cost efficient to manufacture relying on a new tray and pack design.

Sean Mitchell had a video (I believe quoting Elon) mentioning MR pack being same tray as LR with fewer batteries. And the whole reason why the $35k model was possible is because of the new battery design that is much more cost efficient to manufacture relying on a new tray and pack design.
When Elon says something I think you have to wonder if it's actually true. I'm sure they can build another tray and battery design but the bigger question is what will actually be in the car. They could have built S40 batteries but they didn't, they could have put 60 batteries in the refresh S60's and X60D's but they didn't, they said all Teslas going forward would not have Alcantera headliners but the S and X continue to have it, with Tesla it is typically a wait and see what they actually do game. ;)

People need to realize that as more and more superchargers roll out, the rated range will not matter as much and the charge rate will be what matters. That's why I believe the 240 miles of range or even the 220 miles will be enough in 2-3 years when the number of superchargers go up.
superchargers aren't meant to be a daily charging tool and were really built for road trips. For one there is battery degradation.

Tesla already reported the MR is the LR 'tray' with fewer cells. I have not seen anything about SR, SR+. The more I think about it I believe they should this year drop the SR and MR. That makes the ranges 240 and 325, very distinct, and no super stripper interior. Yeah I know its not $35k but that is now Bolt and Leaf territory. Keeps Telsa a little more of a premium brand.

Tesla already reported the MR is the LR 'tray' with fewer cells. I have not seen anything about SR, SR+. The more I think about it I believe they should this year drop the SR and MR. That makes the ranges 240 and 325, very distinct, and no super stripper interior. Yeah I know its not $35k but that is now Bolt and Leaf territory. Keeps Telsa a little more of a premium brand.

i'm ok with that after I get my SR+

• Funny