Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which would you choose Model S or Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys. I need help. I am going to buy Tesla and I am still not sure if I should go for new redesigned Model S or wait for Model Y from Berlin. We have just one kid and will have probably second in future. We do annual winter trips from Czech republic to Spain (3000km/1860mi trip) so comfy and long range car helps. Money is not an issue, just want best match for my needs. I omit X becase of its falcon wing doors and monstrous size. What would you choose? S or Y? They are surprisingly quite simmiliar in size and bootspace. Also I am not sure when Berlin GF will start producing cars, which sux but I am ok with a little wait.

Hard for anyone but you...to answer. Are the roads there in really great shape? If not/are rough, the air suspension of the S will give you a more comfortable ride quality. Is there significant snowfall on your winter trips? If so, the additional ground clearance of the Y may be better for you. Do you require the absolute max range? If so, The model S Long Range has the advantage. Do you prefer sitting up higher when driving? If so, Y has the advantage.

But based on your "comfy and long range", sounds like the S is the right car for you.

Reactions: KalJoMoS
Learn about the differences between the S and Y, and try to test drive both a current Model S and Y to help you decide. No one else can make the decision for you.
This is your best advice. Simply going off of how many screens you want is as silly as car salesmen selling women cars with vanity mirror lights in the 80's. There is SO much in terms of important differences starting with one is an SUV and the other is a sedan all the way down to ride quality and features/options. One is a flagship that is the showcase of everything Tesla has innovated while the other platform was created to meet a very optimistic price point. If you drive the two for an extended period of time this last point becomes immediately apparent. Ride quality difference alone is a deal breaker for me but... my wants and needs probably don't align with yours or anyone else's here. Go drive them both as well as a 3 and an X. Drive them as much as possible before buying to make the best decision for you.

Reactions: Issaction
This is your best advice. Simply going off of how many screens you want is as silly as car salesmen selling women cars with vanity mirror lights in the 80's. There is SO much in terms of important differences starting with one is an SUV and the other is a sedan all the way down to ride quality and features/options. One is a flagship that is the showcase of everything Tesla has innovated while the other platform was created to meet a very optimistic price point. If you drive the two for an extended period of time this last point becomes immediately apparent. Ride quality difference alone is a deal breaker for me but... my wants and needs probably don't align with yours or anyone else's here. Go drive them both as well as a 3 and an X. Drive them as much as possible before buying to make the best decision for you.
What he said. While my mantra is "once you go S, you won't want the rest", you need to make the decision for yourself. Drive 'em and rate 'em with your priorities.

Well I cant test drive model Y. As I said I am from europe
Then I guess it depends on your comfort level taking a leap of faith for that much financial consideration w/o even driving one. For me, that's an instant deal breaker. Not everyone fits that mold and many have done so with the Y, 3 and even S for that matter and have been content with their purchase. I'm a little more particular I guess. I've driven all of the above and, personally, I'd be unhappy with my decision if I dropped $60k on a Y before driving it myself. That's also why I don't take such leaps of faith as I tend to be more risk averse. You really should figure out a way to drive one of each though even if it means to reaching out to a local club to find a privately owned one you can drive if you offer to buy the owner lunch or something. They really are distinctly different vehicles and the more time you spend driving them the more apparent this becomes.

...not sure...

That depends on what you like.

As some said above, they like to see as much information as possible so it's 2 screens from Model S is for them.

If the range is important for you then Model S is for you (I don't think it's enough for now and especially in winter).

If small in size so you can fit in a small garage/parking space then Model Y is for you.

If you want more cargo space, then Model Y is for you (it's a smaller size but with higher roof).

If you want suspension comfort then Model S is for you.

If you want me to pick one for you then pick Model S :)

I would look at the specs on both vehicles and see what you get. But here are my recommendations base on your situation and concerns:

1) Ground Clearance: Model S and Model Y actually have similar ground clearance despite what others are saying. The only difference is to get the Model Y ground clearance on the Model S, you just need to use the air suspension and set it to highest settings. Model Y actually have pretty bad ground clearance compared to other legitimate SUV. Tesla does this for aerodynamics. If you need higher, I recommend other electric SUV. That being said, EVs are great on snow and both will be AWD so you can't go wrong with any EV in snow.

2) Range: In cold weather, more range is better. As of now, the Model S provides the more range when comparing the 2. Also, the Model S is a bit better in aerodynamics increasing range.

3) Ride height: The model Y rides higher and probably getting in is a bit easier for older people due to the higher height. It might also mean easier loading for the kids.

4) Dashscreen: Model S has the dash screen which IMO a lot people like. But I wager, you will get use to the no screen in time with the Model Y.

5) Cost: Since you said cost is not an issue, then get the Model S for more range unless you need the other things. But know the Model S will probably cost more in the long run to keep running since it has more "features" and hence more things that can break down the road. This is no accounting for the single large pack vs the multiple modular Model Y pack design. But if you don't keep the car long enough and or too rich to care about repair cost down the road, then go with what fits best.

Best of luck on your decision!

Reactions: nicedrum
I would look at the specs on both vehicles and see what you get. But here are my recommendations base on your situation and concerns:

1) Ground Clearance: Model S and Model Y actually have similar ground clearance despite what others are saying. The only difference is to get the Model Y ground clearance on the Model S, you just need to use the air suspension and set it to highest settings.

I dont think MOST people who have a requirement for a certain amount of ground clearance are going to get in the car and want to have to manually raise the suspension to max height EVERY time they get into the car. Also, the S will auto lower from the max height at a certain speed. Also, Not to mention, the S isnt engineered to be driven at the highest setting all of the time.

Either way, the S is listed as 4.6 inches ground clearance, the Y, 6.6. That's close to a 45% difference. Most would consider 45% difference to be rather...significant

We've owned S, 3, X and Y and I still prefer the S for many of the reasons mentioned above. I prefer the S on road trips since it has more range and I still have FUSC. While the 3 and Y can theoretically charge faster than my older S, they often have to stay and charge to a higher SoC to make it to the next Supercharger (which can be pretty far apart in the western and central US). Typically when I'm on a road trip, it's usually only me and perhaps one other person, so nobody is using the second row seats. The second row seats in the S aren't that comfortable on longer trips because there's not much toe room and your legs are angled up from your lap. Currently, the Y has more leg and toe room in the second row, so if you have teenagers or other adults in the household, the Y will be more comfortable for them. It remains to be seen if the refreshed 2021 Model S will improve comfort for second row passengers, but without major changes, I don't see how much that could've been improved.

The European built Y might be a game changer. If it has the 4680 cells with a greater range than an S and an air suspension, then my preferred Tesla model might change.

Currently, in order of preference, I would prefer the S, followed by the Y, then the X and lastly the 3.

Guys thanks for amazing info. This helped me a lot. I am leaning towards the S. Too bad that nobody has the refreshed version yet to give impression.
This reminds me of something I meant to touch on previously....

When I said that I wouldn't buy a Y w/o driving it this also applies to the newest Model S for me as well. I'm just not one who tends to make such large financial considerations until I know for a fact I can live with said decision.

I also tend to be someone who doesn't buy new vehicle of ANY brand due to the rate of depreciation but that's another topic entirely. Based on that, I would suggest you find a good deal on a used car but I don't think that's what you're asking so I'll leave that for another discussion.