Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

While supercharging does the price change after starting session?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried doing a search but couldn't find the right answer

In superchargers with peak and off peak rates, does the rate change after you start a session...

If you plugged in while on peak rate do you have to unplug to get the offpeak rate or does it automatically adjust...

Same with the other way, if charging off peak does the rate go up at the top of the hour when the rates change..

Thanks

If you plugged in while on peak rate do you have to unplug to get the offpeak rate or does it automatically adjust...
I'm not positive, but I thought I read that the rate is set when you plug in, and that you would need to stop charging and replug-in to get the off-peak rates.

But as with all things Tesla, it is subject to change at any time.

“Charging rate is determined by the plug-in time and does not adjust if pricing changes during the charging session. Certain Supercharger stations offer on-peak and off-peak rates. The rates and peak times are both displayed in the navigation application on the touchscreen.”

However, setting the peak / off-peak question aside, some SuperCharges assess fees based on power delivered. For example, if the charger is delivering power at a rate of 180-250 kW you pay $0.91 / min. When the charger rate drops below 180 kW the rate drops to $0.56 / min, and so on.

IMG_2854.jpeg

I'm not positive, but I thought I read that the rate is set when you plug in, and that you would need to stop charging and replug-in to get the off-peak rates.

That's been my experience... I've been to several Superchargers, where I was 10 minutes from the cutoff... I was expecting to only pay the cheap rate for 10 minutes, but found the entire session was the cheap rate, even if I stayed like 20+ minutes after the cutoff....

This is also why when I go to a supercharger right before the off-peak times, I will kill some time before I actually pull/plug in, so I don't screw myself by making the entire session peak-rates.

Reactions: GSP and Docpaulo

I thought i saw that previously somewhere, but have never tested it to see if it's true.. thanks

“Charging rate is determined by the plug-in time and does not adjust if pricing changes during the charging session. Certain Supercharger stations offer on-peak and off-peak rates. The rates and peak times are both displayed in the navigation application on the touchscreen.”

However, setting the peak / off-peak question aside, some SuperCharges assess fees based on power delivered. For example, if the charger is delivering power at a rate of 180-250 kW you pay $0.91 / min. When the charger rate drops below 180 kW the rate drops to $0.56 / min, and so on.

View attachment 949598
Thanks.. this is what i was hoping to verify.. will give it a try...

I saw someone plug in 10 minutes before off peak and i waited until off peak even though i arrived same time as that person... which made me wonder if it mattered... sounds like it does... i wonder if that person had free supercharging and didn't care.

Thanks for the information

I unwillingly fell into a test, by arriving at a supercharger 5 minutes before the free charging time was up. It was one of those promotions where Tesla was offering free supercharging at certain hours due to holiday weekend.

If I got charged or not was how I was going to find out-and the good news was my entire 27 minute session was free!

So yes, it goes by the rate at the time you plug it in. If say, free charging ends at 10:00 AM and you plugged in at 9:55 AM, you’re good to go.

If someone didn’t want to wait 10 minutes to get lower rate, and plugged in at a high rate time, well, they’re gonna pay the price!

I unwillingly fell into a test, by arriving at a supercharger 5 minutes before the free charging time was up. It was one of those promotions where Tesla was offering free supercharging at certain hours due to holiday weekend.

If I got charged or not was how I was going to find out-and the good news was my entire 27 minute session was free!

So yes, it goes by the rate at the time you plug it in. If say, free charging ends at 10:00 AM and you plugged in at 9:55 AM, you’re good to go.

If someone didn’t want to wait 10 minutes to get lower rate, and plugged in at a high rate time, well, they’re gonna pay the price!
Awesome.. thanks for confirming..

That's been my experience... I've been to several Superchargers, where I was 10 minutes from the cutoff... I was expecting to only pay the cheap rate for 10 minutes, but found the entire session was the cheap rate, even if I stayed like 20+ minutes after the cutoff....

This is also why when I go to a supercharger right before the off-peak times, I will kill some time before I actually pull/plug in, so I don't screw myself by making the entire session peak-rates.
that is good information to know before hand, Thinking best way to cross the desert when its cooler, and none peak