TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

WhiteStar announcement tomorrow with Governator @11:30PST!!

Discussion in 'News' started by doug, Jun 29, 2008.

1. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

#1 doug, Jun 29, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
    WhiteStar announcement tomorrow with Governator @11:30PDT!!

CrunchGear » Archive » Governator to help announce new Tesla sedan tomorrow
    arnoldschwarzenegger_totalrecall.png

Tweet from TeslaMotors: Twitter / TeslaMotors
    I'm pretty sure they actually meant PDT. I have the same mistake in the title of this thread.

EDIT: The link at the top of this post changed for some reason. Here's the new link:
    CrunchGear » Archive » Governator to help announce new Tesla sedan tomorrow

2. doug

#2 doug, Jun 29, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
    Tweet from Darryl:

Apparently this announcement is going to be in San Carlos. So any speculation what this announcement "about the sedan" might be, and why it would be made by Gov. Schwarzenegger?? I'd think it could only be that Whitestar is going to built in California. What other reason could there be for Arnold to be making the announcement. That would be quite a blow for New Mexico, who expected work to begin on that Whitestar plant a long time ago. Again this is just my own guess. Anyhow, I look forward to more news.

3. BBHighway

BBHighway Member

The Model S

Whitestar is now to be known as the Model S, according to SF Gate.

4. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

Is that a nod to "The Model T"?

5. tonybelding

tonybelding Active Member

#5 tonybelding, Jun 30, 2008
  6. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

Thanks Tony

$100 million doesn't cover much. With the announcement of moving motor production this is all transportation/logistics driven. Potential to save a lot of money.

I guess higher gas prices have attracted better offers? California likes to be at the forefront of US eco-initiatives, but yes, a rich state has stolen a poorer state's candy.

7. Cobos

Cobos S60 owner since 2013

I really hope this isn't the only bit of news they are announcing today, but that both the specs and pictures of the Whitestar would be revealed today. And speaking of revealing news, isn't SF Gate kind of stealing Tesla's thunder? Doesn't anyone use NDA's any longer?

Cobos

8. doug

Well, I guess I could say I called it, but there isn't much credit for assuming the obvious.

So what about New Mexico:
    Tesla, Schwarzenegger to Make WhiteStar Manufacturing Announcement « Earth2Tech
    It's probably safe to assume the CA announcement means the end of the New Mexico plant.
    Our own threads about New Mexico:
    http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/195-white-star-will-built-new-mexico.html
    http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/488-albuquerque-paper-wary-about-tesla-s-whitestar-plant-promises.html

9. doug

Did they really make an announcement about motor production from Taiwan? I only recall that they had moved battery pack assembly from Thailand.

I suppose it's possible the Gov could make his announcement next to a Whitestar styling buck, but you'd think Tesla would want a separate event for the Whitestar reveal.

10. Cobos

Don't get me wrong you are probably right, but they said first half of 2008 and they are running out of time. I'm just hoping, but considering how they've handled Martin's car I suppose expecting them to keep their promise here is a bit too optimistic. :(

Cobos

11. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

Yes you're right. My mistake.

12. Kardax

Kardax Member

In my opinion, the Albuquerque thing was announced much too early. At that time, even the Roadster wasn't anywhere near being finished, so it doesn't make sense to start buying land and buildings for a car that's still barely more than an idea.

I can't remember what sort of WhiteStar news was expected in first-half '08, but if they get it out today, they still technically achieve that goal...

The overseas stuff coming back is not a surprise, and is not unique to Tesla. The decline of the dollar and rising cost of shipping makes domestic manufacturing more attractive. I actually think these sorts of moves are, on a broader scale, going to be key to the economic recovery in this country. They won't help the trade deficit until we get off oil, though...

-Ryan

13. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

#14 dpeilow, Jun 30, 2008
    Just starting now

Not a lot of new info really...

14. doug

#15 doug, Jun 30, 2008
  15. OhmExcited

OhmExcited Member

"Tesla's Model S will be a fully electric, five passenger, multi-use sport sedan with a driving range of approximately 225 miles on one charge. The projected cost of the Model S is $60,000."

They suggested the new plant would be in an Enterprise Zone. The zones are Siskiyou County, San Joaquin County, East Los Angeles, Salinas Valley, Kings County, Oakland, West Sacramento and Santa Ana. So, I would guess Kings County, Salinas Valley, or Oakland.

16. Cobos

Is it just me or is "Model S" an extremely boring name? Not that it really matters but Whitestar sounds a lot better in my ears :)

Cobos

17. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

#18 malcolm, Jun 30, 2008
  18. doug

#19 doug, Jun 30, 2008
    Coverage from the usual sources:

Tesla press release: Tesla Motors - Press Releases
    Ze'ev's blog post: Tesla Motors - think
    [​IMG]

He mentions NM:
    TTAC: Tesla To Build Sedan in California, Not New Mexico | The Truth About Cars
    I have to say I'm disappointed with ABG's coverage. Three separate posts and very little information:
    [​IMG]
    California Gov. Schwarzenegger to make WhiteStar announcement at Tesla today - AutoblogGreen
    Tesla's WhiteStar will be called the Model S - more info soon - AutoblogGreen
    Tax breaks for Tesla, Model S sedan to get 225 miles, cost $60k - AutoblogGreen

19. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

That's interesting - either it's got a less powerful motor and a smaller battery, or the performance might be quite "interesting". Or the journalist made it up...