Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WhiteStar announcement tomorrow with Governator @11:30PST!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

doug

Administrator / Head Moderator
Administrator
WhiteStar announcement tomorrow with Governator @11:30PDT!!

CrunchGear » Archive » Governator to help announce new Tesla sedan tomorrow
California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger is holding a press conference tomorrow with Tesla Motors, makers of some of the coolest electric cars on the planet, to announce their 4 door, 5 passenger sedan slated for release in 2010.

...this is some sort of partnership with the state of California, it isn’t just an endorsement or random appearance by Schwarzenegger.
arnoldschwarzenegger_totalrecall.png

Tweet from TeslaMotors: Twitter / TeslaMotors
Announcement with the Governor of California tomorrow at about 11:30 PST
I'm pretty sure they actually meant PDT. I have the same mistake in the title of this thread.

EDIT: The link at the top of this post changed for some reason. Here's the new link:
CrunchGear » Archive » Governator to help announce new Tesla sedan tomorrow

Last edited:
Tweet from Darryl:
djsiry @TechCrunch well, he's not really going to announce the Sedan...it's really an announcement *about* the sedan. about 1 hour ago from FriendFeed in reply to TechCrunch

Apparently this announcement is going to be in San Carlos. So any speculation what this announcement "about the sedan" might be, and why it would be made by Gov. Schwarzenegger?? I'd think it could only be that Whitestar is going to built in California. What other reason could there be for Arnold to be making the announcement. That would be quite a blow for New Mexico, who expected work to begin on that Whitestar plant a long time ago. Again this is just my own guess. Anyhow, I look forward to more news.

Last edited:
Thanks Tony

Under the deal, California would use the California Alternative Energy and Advanced Transportation Financing Authority, a rarely used state entity formed in 1980, to finance the purchase of an estimated $100 million worth of manufacturing equipment.
The equipment would be leased to Tesla, whose payments to the state would be used to pay off the equipment purchase.
The company can buy the equipment from the state at the end of the lease term but would not have to pay sales tax on the purchase, said Tom Dresslar, a spokesman for the state treasurer. That would save Tesla as much as $9 million, he said.
The exemption "was a key factor for Tesla to come back to California," Dresslar said.

$100 million doesn't cover much. With the announcement of moving motor production this is all transportation/logistics driven. Potential to save a lot of money.

So. What about New Mexico? :frown:

I guess higher gas prices have attracted better offers? California likes to be at the forefront of US eco-initiatives, but yes, a rich state has stolen a poorer state's candy.

I really hope this isn't the only bit of news they are announcing today, but that both the specs and pictures of the Whitestar would be revealed today. And speaking of revealing news, isn't SF Gate kind of stealing Tesla's thunder? Doesn't anyone use NDA's any longer?

Cobos

Well, I guess I could say I called it, but there isn't much credit for assuming the obvious.

So what about New Mexico:
Tesla, Schwarzenegger to Make WhiteStar Manufacturing Announcement « Earth2Tech
While Tesla won’t comment further on what the announcement is until Monday afternoon, we’re guessing that Tesla will partly manufacture its WhiteStar sedan in California. If so, would this be in addition to the plant planned for New Mexico, or would it replace that plant? In February 2007 Tesla said that it would build a $35 million assembly plant in Albuquerque to produce the WhiteStar. Construction on that New Mexico plant was supposed to start in April 2007 and deliver 400 jobs to the area.
It's probably safe to assume the CA announcement means the end of the New Mexico plant.
Our own threads about New Mexico:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/195-white-star-will-built-new-mexico.html
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...y-about-tesla-s-whitestar-plant-promises.html

With the announcement of moving motor production this is all transportation/logistics driven.
Did they really make an announcement about motor production from Taiwan? I only recall that they had moved battery pack assembly from Thailand.

I really hope this isn't the only bit of news they are announcing today, but that both the specs and pictures of the Whitestar would be revealed today.
I suppose it's possible the Gov could make his announcement next to a Whitestar styling buck, but you'd think Tesla would want a separate event for the Whitestar reveal.

I suppose it's possible the Gov could make his announcement next to a Whitestar styling buck, but you'd think Tesla would want a separate event for the Whitestar reveal.

Don't get me wrong you are probably right, but they said first half of 2008 and they are running out of time. I'm just hoping, but considering how they've handled Martin's car I suppose expecting them to keep their promise here is a bit too optimistic. :(

Cobos

In my opinion, the Albuquerque thing was announced much too early. At that time, even the Roadster wasn't anywhere near being finished, so it doesn't make sense to start buying land and buildings for a car that's still barely more than an idea.

I can't remember what sort of WhiteStar news was expected in first-half '08, but if they get it out today, they still technically achieve that goal...

The overseas stuff coming back is not a surprise, and is not unique to Tesla. The decline of the dollar and rising cost of shipping makes domestic manufacturing more attractive. I actually think these sorts of moves are, on a broader scale, going to be key to the economic recovery in this country. They won't help the trade deficit until we get off oil, though...

-Ryan

Last edited:
"Tesla's Model S will be a fully electric, five passenger, multi-use sport sedan with a driving range of approximately 225 miles on one charge. The projected cost of the Model S is $60,000."

They suggested the new plant would be in an Enterprise Zone. The zones are Siskiyou County, San Joaquin County, East Los Angeles, Salinas Valley, Kings County, Oakland, West Sacramento and Santa Ana. So, I would guess Kings County, Salinas Valley, or Oakland.

Coverage from the usual sources:

Tesla press release: Tesla Motors - Press Releases
Ze'ev's blog post: Tesla Motors - think
display_data.php

He mentions NM:
Naturally, decisions such as this leave some parties, in this case our friends in New Mexico, disappointed. We would like to extend our sincerest gratitude to Governor Richardson, his staff and all of the professionals in the economic development community in Albuquerque for all of their assistance and advice, which they provided us with over the past year.
TTAC: Tesla To Build Sedan in California, Not New Mexico | The Truth About Cars
It looks like New Mexico's SOL. The Land of Enchantment tempted Tesla with a $7m incentive package (or was that $20m?) to locate the plant for their sometime-or-other upcoming electric sedan. Despite a big announcement from the then-governor's office, Tesla's changed their mind.
I have to say I'm disappointed with ABG's coverage. Three separate posts and very little information:
gover_tesla_250op.jpg

California Gov. Schwarzenegger to make WhiteStar announcement at Tesla today - AutoblogGreen
Tesla's WhiteStar will be called the Model S - more info soon - AutoblogGreen
Tax breaks for Tesla, Model S sedan to get 225 miles, cost $60k - AutoblogGreen

Last edited:
"Tesla's Model S will be a fully electric, five passenger, multi-use sport sedan with a driving range of approximately 225 miles on one charge. The projected cost of the Model S is $60,000."

That's interesting - either it's got a less powerful motor and a smaller battery, or the performance might be quite "interesting". Or the journalist made it up...