Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who achieves their EPA rated Wh/mi?

Who achieves their EPA rated Wh/mi?

• Yes I routinely get the EPA rated Wh/mi

Votes: 29 41.4%
  • No but rarely yes. I only get the EPA rated Wh/mi when I consciously try

Votes: 23 32.9%
  • No. I never get the EPA rated Wh/mi. I have a lead foot and like my cabin toasty.

Votes: 18 25.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was discussing the recent Porsche Taycan dismal EPA range on another forum. Someone challenged me to provide data regarding the real world mileage with EVs.
Tried searching and didn't find it.
So here is a go at getting some data real world.
References below.
Happy to update references if anyone has the Model 3 or new Raven data.
  • Model S 60 (s/w limited 75): 210 rated miles * 295 Wh/mi = ~62 kWh usable
  • Model S 75: 249 rated miles * 295 Wh/mi = ~73.5 kWh usable
  • Model S 60D (s/w limited 75): 218 rated miles * 285 Wh/mi = ~62.1 kWh usable
  • Model S 75D: 259 rated miles * 285 Wh/mi = ~73.8 kWh usable
  • Model S 90D: 294 rates miles * 285 Wh/mi = ~83.8 kWh usable
  • Model S P100D: 315 rated miles * 314 Wh/mi = ~98.9 kWh usable (* Estimated Wh/mi)
  • Model X 75D: 237 rated miles * 320 Wh/mi = ~75.8 kWh usable
  • Model X 90D: 257 rated miles * 320 Wh/mi = ~82.2 kWh usable
  • Model X P100D: 289 rated miles * 342 Wh/mi = ~98.8 kWh usable

early 2016 90D

I can hit the epa numbers either if:

on my daily commute which is 20-30 mile round trip over hilly ground if I intentionally drive gently and turn off the climate controls. In bad weather (too hot / or especially too cold) I can and often do use 2-3x the rated power.

Driving on the highway with cruise control set at 70mph it is pretty easy to hit the rated economy numbers, especially if I turn on and off climate controls. It would be nice if they had a slightly better focus on keeping humidity down. The "auto" just seems super dumb.

Overall, in commuting, it is a pleasant place to spend time but not as efficient as an "economy car"

Missing an entry for 85D. It is 292 Wh/mi, 270 mile range.

On my mid 2015, cpo, with 32k miles, and 266 mile range....I got 313 on 5k road trip. Since then averaged 296. Current average over 1 year and 13k miles is 301.

early 2016 90D

I can hit the epa numbers either if:

on my daily commute which is 20-30 mile round trip over hilly ground if I intentionally drive gently and turn off the climate controls. In bad weather (too hot / or especially too cold) I can and often do use 2-3x the rated power.

Driving on the highway with cruise control set at 70mph it is pretty easy to hit the rated economy numbers, especially if I turn on and off climate controls. It would be nice if they had a slightly better focus on keeping humidity down. The "auto" just seems super dumb.

Overall, in commuting, it is a pleasant place to spend time but not as efficient as an "economy car"

I agree the HVAC could be smarter. I noticed recently that in Auto you can toggle recirculate without knocking it out of Auto. With recirculate on with Auto it’s not to bad.

Also Enable Range Mode so it doesn’t waste watts heating the battery.

I agree the HVAC could be smarter. I noticed recently that in Auto you can toggle recirculate without knocking it out of Auto. With recirculate on with Auto it’s not to bad.

Also Enable Range Mode so it doesn’t waste watts heating the battery.

I thought range mode actually actively heated the battery (to operate in a temperature range where it has access to the most energy), and so using it for short commutes was counter-productive?

This non-authoratative post indicates that it heats the battery to a higher temperature than normal mode.

For now, at least, someone else is paying for the power (free chargepoint terminal at work and / or supercharging). Once I get solar, I'll have paid for the power all in one shot.

Last edited:
When I had a Model S I could get rated range if I set the cruise control at 65. The problem is that in rural Utah the speed limit is 80 mph on the freeway and at that speed you will never get rated range.

With the build out of the supercharger network its not really a big problem for me, just something to be aware of.

I think that the EPA numbers are much more useful for comparing cars from different companies. It seems pretty obvious that the Tesla model S is going to go much further on a charge than any Porsche or Mercedes Benz or BMW.

Ya know, I think that just about sums it up. I have a LR AWD model 3. I've had it for just over 13 months (Nov 6, 2018) and have approximately 5,000 miles on it. In that 5.000 I've avg'd 250wh/mile which is weird as in the winter I seem to see over 400 wh/mile on the energy page. In the summer it's not unlikely to see 210 wh/mile. I suspect someone coming from a car getting 27 miles/gallon something like the Model 3 would be a nice lift as far as cost/mile. I came from a 2012 Prius Advanced and got on an energy sparing tire easily over 60 miles/gal. So, compared to that the Model 3 is an energy hog. In the winter I can lose 2-4 estimated miles on that charge just backing out of the garage.
In the effort of transparency. An ICE car's winter heating is a byproduct of internal combustion. It's free. Electric heat is anything but free. The good news is it comes on immediate rather than making the driver wait 15 mins.

I have found this chart on somewhere back in spring, here is a copy of it... sorry, it’s in metric...

B10D20CB-5537-4A1A-8089-2E153ABB2BB9.jpeg

I thought range mode actually actively heated the battery (to operate in a temperature range where it has access to the most energy), and so using it for short commutes was counter-productive?

This non-authoratative post indicates that it heats the battery to a higher temperature than normal mode.

For now, at least, someone else is paying for the power (free chargepoint terminal at work and / or supercharging). Once I get solar, I'll have paid for the power all in one shot.

I can visually see with range mode off it runs the battery heater in the app while driving and does not when range mode is on. I did not check the difference while charging. But I think it heats the battery if it’s cold range mode or not but perhaps it heats to a different level.

I also clearly see regen restores much more quickly with it off. Because it’s warming the battery.

Couple posts in your link confirm my experience. I get better wh/mi on short commute with it on. Because it’s not trying to warm the battery.

I don’t like that it disables day time running lights. It may behave differently today.

BTW is there an indicator in the car when the battery is being heated? Seems odd that the app has more info than the car.

Last edited:
...real world mileage with EVs...

I've been consistently getting the advertised mileage since 2012 Model S, 2017 ModeX, and now 2018 Model 3 as long as I don't go aggressive with my driving. I've been using automation as much as possible such as simple cruise in 2012 and Autopilot since 2017.

I've been a hypermiler with my former ICE and I still carry that habit to Tesla as well.

Here's an example of 2018 Model 3 RWD Long Range:

220 miles were driven on the road but it only consumed 208 Rated miles on the battery gauge. The speed was anywhere from 70MPH in Central Valley California to stop-and-go in downtown Los Angeles. This trip involved climbing up southbound 4,144 foot Tejon Pass as well.

666c567b-a662-4d1f-af77-b869c8f1207a_d.jpg

upload_2019-12-18_10-15-36.png

As a matter of fact, I consistently did not get the advertised mileage with my former ICE but it's the opposite ever since I switched to Tesla in 2012.