Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who has lost regen with winter tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Switched to winter tires on the Aeros yesterday. Car was driven 20 mins then in a heated shop for two hours while they did the tires. I definitely noticed much reduced regen on the drive home. Even with the “gas” pedal unpressed completely, the green bar was less than a quarter of an inch in size at around 80 km/h. Not normal in my experience.

A bit reluctant to get in the middle of the shouting here but thought I’d share my experience. I’ll update if anything changes.

Thanks for posting your experience.

Sounds like a plan.

Your posts imply many others have this issue and I just don’t see it. There have been to many others that have posted regen issues for other reasons. And that has obscured the issue.

I admit I have not read every post on every forum on the issue. But every time I have looked it’s been either uneducated new owner, TPMS, or lack of information. But it seems a bit overblown.

Let us know how it goes. And I wish you luck.
Just about to leave. Tires pressure is 38 cold so I’ll bump that up to 42 so the car will arrive with the sensors and tires all as they should be. Car has been charging for an hour. When I get in I’ll advise on alerts or dots.

Reactions: navguy12
156D42C4-5BE8-4AA4-84FE-D049F847C8CA.jpeg
Full regen on my drive at higher speeds.

Attachments

• 9C2A41A9-3DF2-4C71-80EF-943879628DAE.jpeg
    9C2A41A9-3DF2-4C71-80EF-943879628DAE.jpeg
    370.3 KB · Views: 38
  • Love
Reactions: navguy12
One thing we're concluding is the WRG4 tires are not an issue, though it should be noted that they're not really winter tires either. They're great tires for winters in and around Toronto, but technically they're classified as all-season tires.

WRG4 tires are NOT "technically classified as all-season tires" - they are technically classified as all-weather tires. All-seasons are not legal for winter driving in Quebec, yet all-weather tires like WRG4 are legal winter tires there and all parts of Canada; the tires are overtly stamped with the required winter tire designation symbol (the snowflake mountain), and I have driven to Mont Tremblant in winter on WRG3 tires (the previous generation) on another car in the past quite credibly. Sure, there are other pure winter tires out there too, but they would not be so great in the other seasons.

TPMS Type (Winter): Kal Tire (Unknown Brand 433hz)
TPMS Reset Prompt: Yes, I think it was 1 prompt, one for TPMS Reset.
TPMS Pressure Status: Blank ("psi: --") until TPMS Reset, off by 2 pound until I refilled it to 42PSI cold.
Delivered Tire Size: 18" Aero
Winter Tire Size: 18" ION Aftermarket Rims
Winter Tire Type: Nokian R3's
Model: LR.RWD
Temperature: Full Warm up (NO DOTS)
Winter Regen Status: Not aggressive until under 40km/h.

FYI Kal Tire sells Schrader TPMS.

Link please

I googled for the problem on other forums and I came up with you creating the same thread.

I didn’t read the whole thing but it looks like you cloned them. That might confuse the car.

This whole thing seems blown out of proportion.

Normal tapering of regen
Cold temps affect on regen
Improperly behaving TPMS and it’s affects on regen.

I can’t find anyone that just swapped tires.
You clearly didn't read my posts (#5 with further clarification in #17) on the first page of this thread...

Thanks for posting your experience.

Glad it helped. Just back from a 35min-each-way drive and there's no doubt my regen braking is seriously different from pre-winter-tires (yesterday). Lots of braking needed and slightly dangerous a couple of times. I'll get used to it but it would be good to know if this is normal on different tires? TPMS is the same Tesla ones that were on the other wheels - all that changed is the tires.

Could this be why the latest firmware version (which I don't have) introduced changes to regen braking?

D91CDFF7-F8DC-4C65-A019-6EC60AC3A275.jpeg
Issue is there. I had them change the rubber only. Tpms showing 39 per tire. Took it for a good spin. No dots. Battery still warm. Basically when you lift at say 90 km/h it grabs for about a second. You see a nice long green regen bar and then it shrinks to very small. You feel it let go and you coast and decelerate like a regular car until about 30km/h. Then it grabs again.

RWD. Tesla oem rims and sensors. Continental SIs.

View attachment 347546 Issue is there. I had them change the rubber only. Tpms showing 39 per tire. Took it for a good spin. No dots. Battery still warm. Basically when you lift at say 90 km/h it grabs for about a second. You see a nice long green regen bar and then it shrinks to very small. You feel it let go and you coast and decelerate like a regular car until about 30km/h. Then it grabs again.

Great it’s confirmed it is an issue. Just have to wait for @mswlogo to tell you you’re wrong

Last edited:
View attachment 347546 Issue is there. I had them change the rubber only. Tpms showing 39 per tire. Took it for a good spin. No dots. Battery still warm. Basically when you lift at say 90 km/h it grabs for about a second. You see a nice long green regen bar and then it shrinks to very small. You feel it let go and you coast and decelerate like a regular car until about 30km/h. Then it grabs again.

In the next couple weeks I'll be putting my winters on. Already have them (continental si) on the aero rims with OEM tpms. Right now I have OEM all seasons on after market rims the same weight as aero rims and eBay TPMS. Regen is 'normal' for me now....will be interesting to see if it changes when I mount the new tires. Btw I have AWD. I will mount them myself as they are already on the rims.

Not sure if I missed this but has anyone with this issue tried lifting off the accelerator slowly from speed and watching to see at what point (deceleration level) the regen reduces? I can understand if goes to full regen rapidly it might confuse the soft compound slip as a loss of traction.

If RWD only, it seems like traction control could be sensing a slip difference between front and rear, maybe just due to the softer compound. That could result in a short pulse of normal regen braking and then reduced regen as it tries to match the slip of the front tires. Brakes would still work fine with even braking on all wheels. Tesla would have to allow a little more slip during regen-only braking.

I admit it doesn’t look good for RWD.

Try bringing your tire pressure up to exactly what it was. I recall you said 42 psi.

I noticed that the TPMS is VERY sensitive to getting an error at 39 psi. I wanted to try lowering my tires from spec of 42 to 36 psi to compare ride, noise and mpge.

As soon as I did the TPMS alarms went off. Then I brought it up to 39 psi. And still had alarms go off. Then I put it back to 42 psi and it was fine.

My friends August built RWD door sticker says 45 psi. Mine says 42 psi. Not sure if that’s a running change for all 18” or a difference between AWD and RWD.

In either case try bringing your pressure up.

It’s hard to believe in a simple regen deceleration that there is that much difference to shut it to down regen. And subtle enough that AWD vs RWD makes a difference.

So just being down at 39 psi might cause an issue.

FYI I’m running 42 PSI out of the tire shop yesterday and same today once driving. I’m RWD too.

If this is the first real winter for Model 3s it won’t be a surprise if there are issues like this. Hopefully they’re sortable. When anyone asks me how my car is I always say “amazing, but I’m waiting to see how it handles our winter”. Every car I’ve had has at some point had at least minor issues when we really get into the deep cold weather. I just hope they did a whole bunch of winter testing that wasn’t just California winter! :)

I think I’ll probably submit a support ticket for my issue. Until they start hearing about it they won’t be in a position to do anything. I suggest others report it too.

Thought I’d give an update. I noticed today I’m getting a little more regen than before not as good as oem tires but better than before. Still on 39.7 version. It was a little colder today. I’m thinking they will get better as it gets colder and the compound is not as soft. So must be something to do with the compound causing some slippage tricking the car not to regen.