Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who here is going to lose 3G Connectivity - Feb 2022 when it sunsets?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am aware (now) of the notification. Is your point that for all products and services we purchase, we should scour the manufacturer or service provider's website for updates that may or may not be relevant to the products or services we purchase? I received a direct-to-customer communication (which I think was highly appropriate for the situation), but it wasn't until a week ago.

No, not suggesting that you have to "scour" any particular manufacturers web site. Just pointing out that the info has been very well publicized in general, including by Tesla. I did get a reminder from them, and had the update done back in November 2021, when I did the eMMC recall.

I also agree with @EVRider-FL that an EMail back in July 2021 would have been appropriate.

Sorry you only got a reminder so last minute, but I don't think that was typical.

Reactions: Dukecat
Still on 3G, and as of 12:30 AM on February 23rd, 3G still works for me.

Tesla has sent two messages via the mobile app, one back in November and the other on the 11th of February, reminding of the impending 3G shutdown and offering the $200 LTE modem upgrade. That seems reasonable and fair to me. I'm taking a wait and see approach to what actually stops working, because I am under the impression that any service work done by Tesla will incidentally cause an update to "the latest" software version. Right now I'm happy with my car's software and its performance, and if it requires updating to v11 then it may not be worth it for me.

I am under the impression that any service work done by Tesla will incidentally cause an update to "the latest" software version. Right now I'm happy with my car's software and its performance, and if it requires updating to v11 then it may not be worth it for me.

I understand your concern, but I don't think upgrading to LTE would open a floodgate of new updates (v11) for you. Upgrading from MCU1 to MCU2 would.

Has anyone experienced a drop off in service yet because of this. I did not notice anything on a short drive this morning. I did have the eMMC replaced on recall, but it sounds like the eMMC would not include the LTE modem upgrade. Is it possible that ATT did not discontinue service yet even though they were supposed to turn the 3G off yesterday?

My display screen says LTE on it. After scheduling my appointment with the service center (which was bumped out a month), they told me that since my screen says LTE I do not need to get the 3G modem replacement. My guess is that it must have been replaced when my eMMC was replaced.

@Chris Redfield, okay that's different. So looking at what you are saying, WiFi and BT might not have been working right after the eMMC repair. Could be that Tesla's tech's didn't reconnect the tiny connector for the antenna. That would explain the spinning wheel. Or the connected it part-way and it popped off with a little stress.
The Tesla Ranger came out to my place of employment to work on it in the parking lot. It was a cold day so poor guy. Better than a hot day in Phoenix that's for sure. Anyway, he took About an hour to two to determine that there is nothing wrong with the EMMC chip & that if there was a loose cable somewhere, that I wouldn't have functionality at all in my MCU. He spoke to his supervisor & he also said I'd have no working features at all. So he didn't check the back of the connections at all. He said there was no need. He mentioned I should just get MCU2.
My display screen says LTE on it. After scheduling my appointment with the service center (which was bumped out a month), they told me that since my screen says LTE I do not need to get the 3G modem replacement. My guess is that it must have been replaced when my eMMC was replaced.
Lucky.
I still have the 3G symbol, I'm still streaming music, & it's now almost the middle of March. I'm counting my blessings with every day that passes that I have premium streaming still working & navigation still working.
However, I wish I'd have my EMMC replaced & they accidentally install an LTE chip.
For now I'm waiting it out. So far we're still connected. So far.

The Tesla Ranger came out to my place of employment to work on it in the parking lot. It was a cold day so poor guy. Better than a hot day in Phoenix that's for sure. Anyway, he took About an hour to two to determine that there is nothing wrong with the EMMC chip & that if there was a loose cable somewhere, that I wouldn't have functionality at all in my MCU. He spoke to his supervisor & he also said I'd have no working features at all. So he didn't check the back of the connections at all. He said there was no need. He mentioned I should just get MCU2.

Lucky.
I still have the 3G symbol, I'm still streaming music, & it's now almost the middle of March. I'm counting my blessings with every day that passes that I have premium streaming still working & navigation still working.
However, I wish I'd have my EMMC replaced & they accidentally install an LTE chip.
For now I'm waiting it out. So far we're still connected. So far.
My leaf stopped working on exactly the day it was claimed to be shutoff. I guess Nissan pulled the plug.

Finally lost the 3G connectivity.

I thought one of the adverse impacts was going to be the maps and the navigation. I understand the traffic updates and some other features won't work with no connectivity, but my turn-by-turn navigation still works.

Am I missing something here?

• Love
Reactions: Chris Redfield
Finally lost the 3G connectivity.

I thought one of the adverse impacts was going to be the maps and the navigation. I understand the traffic updates and some other features won't work with no connectivity, but my turn-by-turn navigation still works.

Am I missing something here?
I believe turn by turn is downloaded. And the map squares you use have been downloaded as well.

I think you start driving outside your usual area you will have nothing. And eventually what you have downloaded will expire.

Just a guess though.

Also to add, the car is always on wifi in my garage. When it wakes up, this pops up:

1647036705284.png

I do a reboot, wait a few minutes and the message goes away and the turn-by-turn navigation works just fine during my drives. I suppose if the car is asleep and if it wakes up with no wifi connection then there might be no turn-by-turn navigation.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: brkaus
Also to add, the car is always on wifi in my garage. When it wakes up, this pops up:

View attachment 779634

I do a reboot, wait a few minutes and the message goes away and the turn-by-turn navigation works just fine during my drives. I suppose if the car is asleep and if it wakes up with no wifi connection then there might be no turn-by-turn navigation.
I don’t think so. I can’t leave my Plaid connected to our wifi (over loads our System). I don’t have any problems wit’s turn by turn navigation. Occasionally I get a message asking if I want to set up Wi-Fi. I don’t get the above message. I’m really rural with really slow speed (10-5 mbps). Nothing I can do until Starlink gets out here. I do get notifications when a nav or system update is available and need to temporally connect wifi.