Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who is going to try out autopilot?

Who is going to try out autopilot?

• Might wait quite a while, not sure when I'll try it out

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this the most lopsided poll in TMC history? I'm with the majority, and I know it's a skewed sample and all, but even I'm surprised by the results.

Some people question why anyone would want their car to drive itself, but obviously the demand for autopilot is not small.

I don't understand why 10% of our respondents are so cautious. This has already been beta tested and there are numerous videos on the internet.

I'm not saying I have autopilot already (I am not in EAP), but let's just pretend that I have tried autopilot already.

It works great for most situations with lane markings on the left and right. It does not work on roads where there is a clear median marking but no right side marking such as a bike lane. It deals with faded markings and reflectors very well. It works on highway on ramps and off ramps with curves just fine. It does ok on curvy roads, but I would not recommend it for technical drives in the mountains.

It does great in all kinds of light conditions, including with shadows and low-angles of sunlight. It does require you to touch the steering wheel once in a while, but it's not so much a nag, as it is a confidence interval trigger when the system may need your assistance. You can comfortably do this by just resting a hand on the bottom of the wheel. A little more than a little pressure on steering inputs and it will revert to TACC only mode. If you do not put the hand on the wheel after repetitive notices, it will disable TACC and slow down while maintaining auto-steering as able with available data.

It requires TACC activation to work. You activate it with a secondary pull of what will probably be termed the Autopilot wand.

The smoothness is not bad and is equivalent to an average driver. It does not select particularly smart lines through turns, but it does keep you centered well. It does not do very well in lane-split scenarios where your one lane becomes two (off ramp, HOV lane start, merge, etc.). It will not activate under 18mph unless you have a TACC-locked on target in front of you. I would compare its sophistication to when TACC first came out in February and I would expect certain smoothness algorithms to be refined over the next several patches.

I felt it was safe, but this has to be used as an autopilot the way an aircraft pilot uses such a system. It does not help you take off, land, or navigate. But it does relieve a lot of mechanical task load from the mind during cruise phases.

- K

Last edited:
I don't understand why people are so cautious ...

Most likely because this is a whole new experience for pretty much everybody.
And, as with all new tech, you have to learn how to implement it successfully.
It is also v1, so is inevitably going to mature with time and experience.

As for texting while you are in control of the car (upthread) ... really?
In the UK you will get a $100+ fine and points on your license/driving ban.
If you are involved in an accident you are automatically at fault, and can be prosecuted all the way up to causing death by dangerous driving with up to 10 years in jail.

Harsh? - Well tell that to the family of one of my kids schoolfriends who was wiped out by an imbecile who was doing precisely just that.

Maybe it's different in the US?

I don't understand why 10% of our respondents are so cautious.
I totally get it. Before I had a chance to try TACC, I read on this forum that it wouldn't lock on to stopped cars, and a few other quirks. That information was massively useful when I finally got my car.

The lane-keeping will have its quirks too, especially in the beginning. You pointed some out yourself. I already have questions about how some situations will be handled and what the limits are. I don't mind being an unofficial beta (gamma?) tester in this case, but normally I'd let you all take the risks first. :)

As soon as it's installed I'm going to read the instructions and go driving :)

I don't get your logic. If it's "typically bought by older people" and they are "more cautious" as you say then why are 92 out of 100 installing it right away? I think it's probably more accurate to conclude the vast population of Tesla owners are more adventurous and technical. Others may have had past experiences or are in situations that don't allow for installing it right away. Don't think age is a factor at all.

Last edited:
I voted "Will try it straightaway as soon as software is available and install completes", which is completely true; it just doesn't give the whole story. I have a Classic S, so no AP for me. Thus, if any of you AP-capable Model S owners would like, I'll swing by on Thursday, hit install, and give it a go! :p

I voted "Will try it straightaway as soon as software is available and install completes", which is completely true; it just doesn't give the whole story. I have a Classic S, so no AP for me. Thus, if any of you AP-capable Model S owners would like, I'll swing by on Thursday, hit install, and give it a go! :p

I might be in the Charlotte area Friday afternoon.