Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who is Tesla partnering with on drivetrain for truck?

Who is Tesla partnering with on a truck drivetrain?

• FCA

Votes: 7 11.7%
  • Daimler

Votes: 16 26.7%
  • GM

Votes: 14 23.3%
  • Ford

Votes: 10 16.7%
  • Toyota

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • BMW

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Other

Votes: 12 20.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FCA is voted for because they are incompetent, but I think that also means that aren't competent enough to do this.

Daimler is voted for because of recent news of collaboration with Tesla, but I don't think their pickup truck would be a huge deal as KarenRei intimated.

So I think Ford, GM, or Toyota. I think Ford is out because it seems they are doing it on their own.

Toyota - I have no idea.

GM - previously claimed they weren't electrifying pickup trucks, but changed position in January. So I think it's them.

Reactions: jhm
Nikola?

"You will be able to order both trucks in 500kWh, 750kWh and 1mWh options BEV."
Nikola Motor Company on Twitter
Funny, I think they mean the will have 6 combinations. But I've got to wonder if you have a 1MWh battery in your semi why would you need a hydrogen fuel cell to go with it. The whole hydrogen line looks sketchy if they are really looking at battery packs that big. The hydrogen infrastructure seems awfully expensive if you only need it as a range extender, but otherwise have electric charging infrastructure in place.

They claim the H2 is for long haul and BEV for inner city. But I remain skeptical. With current cell prices and battery densities, hydrogen may seem needful for long haul. But when density doubles, price falls 50%, and charging infrastructure is well developed, it may go the way of Betamax and VHS.

Last edited:
Reactions: SwTslaGrl
GM is unlikely because they already have a fairly robust EV in-house team.

Chrysler is a possibility. Do they make pickups ?

Toyota is a possibility, since Tesla used to make Rav4EV drivetrains. Just like Merc. But it's unlikely Karen would know about that.

That leaves Ford - who don't have a robust in-house EV program. Earlier they got initial design for the Ford Focus EV from Magna.

BTW, Magna is another possibility. They can build trucks - but don't have a way to distribute and service them.

From market action
Explosive news if true: Tesla powertrain powering Ford’s upcoming F-150 EV?!?

Scoop: GM Working On Electric Pickup Truck With Tesla Powertrain | CleanTechnica

Edit: massive oops. GM not Ford. Not F-150.

My bad.

Still explosive news if true. About GM that is.

Crap, if GM comes out with a Tesla powered supercharger enabled pickup and mine dies before Tesla's comes out...

@wk057 was working on a Sierra Tesla conversion a while back...