Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who loves their Model X? Consumer Reports this thread is for you!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i want to post here. Loud and proud. I am freaking enjoying my Model X more than I could have ever imagined. AND, I waited 3.5 years. I often think... Dang, I wish (daily) I could write Elon and thank him (and team) for building the absolute perfect car for me. Hearing blah blah blah about CR and the like dissing the X enrages me. Suddenly Tesla has become the new, unfounded "Goliath". I am here to tell all, especially the news outlets, that there are MANY MANY people out in the wild enjoying their X's with little to no complications. I had a few corrections to deal with (in one visit, and all dealt with with exceptional service)...... The drive is amazing. The comfort is beyond first class. The auto pilot wows me. The WINDSHIELD pulls me into the moment like no vehicle I have ever experienced (unique is an understatement. Seeing a sunset through the windshield is so very special. The world is suddenly pulled into the cockpit. And, a tree lined drive is outrageous! ). The speed, while like on rails, is so intense its mind rattling. i have owned an S and this is a whole new experience. It is heavy, yet so incredibly nimble. Solid. Strong. Absolutely what the future will be. My X is now in for Opticoat and I have a rental. It's a Buick egg type SUV and I fear for my life!!! What a death trap. Squirrly, small, powerless, UGLY and SO uncomfortable. I am open to any and all inquiries as to how amazing the X is. Hit me up! Post if you feel the same.

Congratulations guys, I am one of few who have many problems and have fixed for very long time. But all in all really does not turn down even little bit of how much i love the car. I will definitely join the group once the car is back. Enjoy your car!

Count me in too! I've loved the car from the first moment I saw it (and I'm not counting all the lusting I did before delivery day!). Today, I drove our old Prius to keep the battery charged and it really showed me how much better the Model X really is. I felt cramped, the constant rattling and vibration from the engine was grating on me, there was NO power and I almost blew through an intersection because the regenerative braking didn't kick in! I used to love driving the Prius!

Two thumbs up!!

I reserved on day 1, P83. My build date month was 1/2016, VIN F00041X, and I was part of the Factory delivery end-of-Q1-rush on 3/22 inside a huge white tent, approx. 4 years later. I did the cosmetic part of the checklist, and the rest after I drove it home. The only minor issue was unevenness in one corner of the frunk's rubber gasket. After one month of ownership and ~1,500 miles, the only new minor issue is a tear in part of the driver's door gasket where it appears to be too thin, which doesn't affect it's functionality. I'll have that addressed when I bring it in to the SC for the 3rd row seat bracket recall.

On 3/20, I accompanied one of my best friend's and his family to Tesla Factory to pick up their X. I went through the entire checklist for his vehicle, and found nothing amiss. His X is also 1/2016 build month and his VIN coincidentally is 41X, too. We ordered almost the same options, but different colors and decor.

I'm so happy with my first Tesla that I literally have not driven my Mercedes at all since I received my X! I've only started it up once to make sure the battery hadn't run down. The Benz felt obsolete and dated by comparison when I sat in it. Now it's on a trickle charger in the garage waiting for it's lease to expire in August.

I feel very fortunate to breathe clean air when I'm driving in such a safe vehicle, and I don't have to inhale any pollution in my garage anymore. (I'm sensitive to it, and used to hold my breath walking into the house after I exited my Mercedes, especially when I had their diesel ML 350 Bluetec.)

I think the GPS Nav system is awesome the way it calculates which SuperCharger(s) you need to stop at and for how long. I'm planning our first family road trip to Squaw Valley in mid-May before their extended season ends, and was happy to learn we'll only have to stop once at Rocklin SC for about 20 minutes on the way there from the Bay Area. As we all know, Autopilot works great on the highway, and I use it routinely. (My 2014 Mercedes has "steering assist" which is all but useless.) Note that I have nothing personally against Mercedes vehicles. In fact, I've had seven of them over the years, starting with my now 'classic' 1993 380 SL roadster. It's just that Teslas are far superior to them in so many ways.

My only disappointment so far is that Tesla Factory Service didn't tell me that a new version of the $750 HPWC was coming (for $550 and it supports 3 extra units) when they "found the last one available in stock". I also noticed in the instructions for the old one that I had installed there is no specific amperage limit setting for Model X's 48 or 72 amps, so I should have put 2 + 2 together myself and waited...

This post CAN be quoted outside of TMC! :)

All I can say is that in our recent early summer weather here in the Pacific Northwest, I wasn't even tempted to ride my BMW GS1200 motorcycle. Not even once. This car is so far beyond anything out there, it's in a whole new category. A few glitches in my early Sig? Sure. But nothing compared to the glitches and noise and smell in practically every other car I've ever owned before.

I see the CR review as more of a statement about quality than functionality. Not too different than what they evolved to with the Model S, first praising it as the best car in the world and then ripping it apart for being unreliable.

Unfortunately the average person, especially a CR reader, cannot differentiate the difference from the two. Since reliability on every car can be fixed, but once a car is designed and made, you are stuck with the features forever, this does not make sense.

Anyway this will all pass, along with much of the angst on this forum, once these teething issues are resolved and the cars gets into the hands of many more people.

BTW I love my Model X too, have a flawless (at least from my observation) car and it often meets or exceeds my expectations. But it is far from perfect and probably never could or would be, as my needs may not echo everyone else's and the designers. :)

There is a difference between Consumer Reports and Road & Track and other enthusiast magazines.

As much as I love my Quantoric Combo Waffle Maker and Cheese grater, I understand that Consumer Reports would have negative comments based on the quality issues of the early units even though The Cheese Fan Journal loves the performance and gave it rating of 10 out of 10 cheese wheels.

I don't know why you're calling out Consumer Reports since all they do is collect data from customers. Their metrics are very objective. Glad you like your car though.
If it is just about collecting data and reporting the facts that they would do, I would trust CR. But what they did with MS is they reached out to first 1000 owners, got the data on problems and most of them also told CR how Tesla was quick to resolve them. BUT CR chose to rate the car unreliable 3 years later. That IMHO is not objective reporting and they lost my vote of confidence.

Reactions: engle
The unreliable rating is based on what is delivered.
It doesn't matter if the issues are resolved quickly.
If the problems weren't resolved quickly, then their service rating would be affected.

Right on!
The initial build quality is a very important metric and critical to the profitability of any manufacturer. Post production resolutions are multiple times more expensive than getting it right the first time.

Reactions: eye.surgeon
The unreliable rating is based on what is delivered.
It doesn't matter if the issues are resolved quickly.
If the problems weren't resolved quickly, then their service rating would be affected.
So by that rule every car would be unreliable as the first couple of thousand for every manufacturer has issues ..far more and serious issues than what Tesla has had. And I would agree to unreliable rating when Model S came out but not 3 years later when they have delivered tens of thousands of perfect cars.