Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who ordered S Plaid/Plaid+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That’s pointing to the same source stating they found an asset (photo) showing a circular steering wheel. I’m asking for a source that confirms Tesla stated they will indeed offer this as an option. Until then, it’s pure speculation.

It's pure speculation, but to add a little more fuel to the speculation - the order confirmation for a new S includes a specific line item for "Yoke Steering" which in my opinion lends a lot of credence to the idea that there's some alternative they're holding in their back pocket. Probably seeing what the response is and waiting for some sales centers to get demo vehicles so customers can actually try it before deciding whether to complicate their supply chain and logistics with both options.

• Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White
It's pure speculation, but to add a little more fuel to the speculation - the order confirmation for a new S includes a specific line item for "Yoke Steering" which in my opinion lends a lot of credence to the idea that there's some alternative they're holding in their back pocket. Probably seeing what the response is and waiting for some sales centers to get demo vehicles so customers can actually try it before deciding whether to complicate their supply chain and logistics with both options.

Indeed:

EC24776C-7151-46B8-BA91-8C396A525134.jpeg

If Porsche had a supercharger network similar to Tesla then I’d definitely consider it. Without that it’s a not an option

As an e-tron owner and former Tesla owner I understand that 100%. It's getting better, but the Supercharger network is still far better in my experience.

That said, you can probably expect more range from their 93 kWh pack than your 90D.

Reactions: AMPd
I do wonder if all countries will allow this yoke wheel and no stalks situation, I suspect they will run into problems, but then maybe they don't care and as long as it can be sold in the US then Tesla is happy.
Whilst I've never driven a car with a wheel like that or used turn signals via a button (even more of a stupid idea), I can't help but think these were ideas born out of being different to be different and don't actually offer any benefits.

It is relevant to note that cars and other vehicles have been steered by tillers, yokes, foot pedals and such means since the early days of motorized vehicles and ever since. Aircraft, nautical vehicles, cars, trucks and busses have all done that.

Wheels are a convention and nothing more. They are not inherently good or bad, just the most common choice. I am old enough to remember telephone using a crank to raise an operator who then connected with another telephone. What an outrage when people had to begin dialing their own calls on a circular pad. Next there was an outcry when one had to use pushbuttons.

Many of us are thinking this solution is just like heresy. Remember why there were wheels used in the first place. Steering was mechanical, slow and heavy. (try parking a 1920's car). Thus the reality was a wheel that turned several rotations to go from 'lock to lock'. Now it is all electrical, usually with no physical connection at all. Why have a wheel if progression is automate anyway and can be more or less progressive according to the situation? Surely there is no real need for a wheel anymore.

If we all think about why wheels related yokes, tillers and foot pedals we might also realize there really is not a need for them any more. Remember that the "10 and 2" rule was all about maintaining control when a blowout happened, which they often did even into the 1960's.
I understand preferences, but we might think about: why? first principles, remember?
I'm prepared for an onslaught of brickbats now.

No brickbats and I actually hope the miracle occurs and the early adopters find it easy to use: then I would want to get one, since it looks really cool. My concern for myself is just the muscle memory of letting the rim slide through my fingers and all of the other learned and now automatic motions involved in driving. This old dog is not sure he would be able to learn the new trick without an embarrassing incident along the way.

• Love
Reactions: Tiger and jbcarioca
I may be out of line saying this, but for a car described as "Quickest 0-60 mph and 1/4 mile acceleration of any production car ever", it is solidly a dream car and despite having loads of utility and practicality as an everyday driver, that makes it exotic. Looking at it in that right, I think it should be a little exotic in some ways.

I kind of like how understated it is. I'd love to have the Roadster 2.0, but there's always a special place in my heart for a sleeper. I wish they made a Model S Plaid+ station wagon :D. I do kinda hope the Plaid+ gets just a little more aero treatment - brake ducting, fender flares, different diffuser, etc.

Ordered Plaid+ after the unveil. Had ordered a Plaid prior but assumed that wouldn’t roll over to Plaid+, so I canceled that and then ordered the Plaid+. Order number RN114419275.

Sold my 2013 S last year, so looking forward to the Plaid. I have.JetPilot steering wheel on my Model 3, which has proved to be phenomenal in all circumstances. So I’m not shy, and in fact welcome, the yoke steering control on the Plaid+.
I kept my original reservation for the Plaid a couple months ago (unveil day) , thinking it will convert (it did) since it mentioned the 520mi range.
For reference the reservation is RN1139521XX

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
I kept my original reservation for the Plaid a couple months ago (unveil day) , thinking it will convert (it did) since it mentioned the 520mi range.
For reference the reservation is RN1139521XX

Out of curiosity, what was your config and price? I'm trying to figure out why mine is 2500 cheaper than ordering one now. $2000 was from FSD (8k at res, 10k now), but not sure where the other 500 is from.

Very interesting! Most line items on there point to a different customizable SKU, except for Autopilot (which is standard on every model, but could be there to call out no FSD) and Yoke steering, which could very well be swapped with “old-school” circular steering wheel.

Out of curiosity, what was your config and price? I'm trying to figure out why mine is 2500 cheaper than ordering one now. $2000 was from FSD (8k at res, 10k now), but not sure where the other 500 is from.

Paint other than white, or interior other than black.

Funny, my wife is also not fan of Tesla's so much. She's on the second Model S right now, but I had to convince her. After the first one needed 5 day-long visits at service in the first 3 months after delivery (that was when service still had loaners, there was no flood of Model 3's fixing their production issues, and Tesla didn't try to tell us that yellowing screen after 6 months is our fault for exposing the screen to oxygen) she asked me "you paid how much for this f*!#ng car?!?". While she likes her current Model S, I will have little trouble switching her to another brand - probably another EV unless WA state passes the $0.15 per mile driven EV tax on top of the existing 500 galon equivalent road tax we already pay, then I'm going with the most powerful ICE I can find for me (some 1000hp+ V12 monster probably), and some V6 or V8 Lexus for my wife, but it will be her choice so I don't have to hear how I picked a car for her that requires all that service like I did with Tesla. The extra EV tax btw is attached to COVID relief bill, and argument by our Democrat governor is what WA doesn't have a pollution problem (one of the cleanest air states), but all EV owners are rich and need to pay "their fair share".

Personally I am waiting with high hopes for eTron GT RS. My fallback is Taycan Cross Turismo (the current Taycan trunk is way too small for me, no room in the garage to keep 2 cars just for me like I did before I was married - Porsche 911 for everyday driving and a Toyota 4Runner for shopping/cargo runs). When I saw the rumors of the Model S refresh (no, not the 4 year old thread), I briefly considered short term leasing a Plaid Model S as my 5 year old Model S is not reliable anymore (my reasoning was just refreshed Model S would have high residual values). But, the steering wheel and the AI gear shift solved my dilemma - no way I am letting Tesla software decide whether the car should auto-shift to Drive, Park or Reverse and take responsibility for the consequences. I dislike the steering wheel too, as it will be hell on parallel parking, or it will be drive-by-wire where the steering wheel to wheel deflection ratio depends on speed, none of which I care to deal with. That and I also don't think I want to pay $140K to be an Alpha tester.

Bottom line, thank you Tesla for going so far with the refresh that I am no longer even tempted. The only thing they could have done more is to remove the instrument cluster completely (like Model 3/Y). I am genuinely curious how many they will sell, and that will compare with P85D, P90DL, P100DL sales from the days when they were introduced.
Sounds like you and a Porsche (insert porcupine joke) are a perfect match. See you at the stop light :)

No brickbats and I actually hope the miracle occurs and the early adopters find it easy to use: then I would want to get one, since it looks really cool. My concern for myself is just the muscle memory of letting the rim slide through my fingers and all of the other learned and now automatic motions involved in driving. This old dog is not sure he would be able to learn the new trick without an embarrassing incident along the way.
I love this post. It describes, perfectly in my opinion, the new technology adoption issue for nearly everything, not just the Model S Yoke. The issue of 'muscle memory' including brains in that category.
This is an airplane case that is directly analogous to Tesla evolution issues. Not too many years ago I flew mostly Learjets. Upon landing one lifted the throttle levers and pulled back on them to engage thrust reverse for landing. One day I was flying a Citation (I had quite a long experience with them, mostly earlier) and on landing lifted the throttles and pulled back. I immediately remembered that such an action shuts down the engines in the Citation. Embarrassing!

When I switch from a Model S to a Model 3 to a Model X these days I regularly take a few minutes to recall how to engage the TACC. There is not an instantly identical manner to do all things across the line.

Every time I upgrade any equipment in any category I almost always ahem a learning curve. An obvious question is how much more slowly older people are to adapt than are younger ones. There are lots of studies on that. Back to the 1960's The Institute of Mathematical Biophysics at the University of Michigan was studying that issue.

We are in an age in which, like most ages, the newest technologies tend to be expensive so most wealthy, often older people can afford them. Then older people are nearly always slower to adapt than are younger ones.

Now consider Tesla. New technologies abound. Now the new Model S challenges long- held practice. I recall long ago an older acquaintance refused an automatic transmission because it was "too hard to shift". I do believe that this one is set to challenge a great many 'muscle memory' issues.

I am only 75 years old so I relish the opportunity to continue challenging myself to learn new ways of doing things. Hopefully I won't embarrass myself in so doing. Luckily, this time I think the car might help me from making too many mistakes.

I got the trade-in quote on my S and was about to push the button on the new + but the more I read about the stupid steering wheel design, I realized I didn't want to be a beta tester for $140k.

I'll wait until I can drive one.

Pretty much what he said. And also, I just can't see the logic in giving a $1K loan to the richest man in the world for what appears to be a year or longer at 0%.