Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who ordered S Plaid/Plaid+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just in conversation, I asked a Tesla sales representative today not for precise figures of course, but just for a rough ballpark idea of the number of Model S Plaid (original name) or (now) Plaid+ subscriptions. He would not provide me with any information. Is that in itself indicative of anything? Or is it just normal Tesla secrecy around a new launch?
He didn’t HAVE information to provide you. This is like asking your barista at Starbucks how many pumpkin spice lattes the company sold last quarter. They have no fuggin clue.

They know nothing. They aren’t keeping secrets. They’re not being coy. They are interchangeable cogs in a sales machine. They don’t need to know such things.

When I saw the updated design yesterday I hated it and decided to move on, but then I thought let me sleep on it and decide after.

Slept on it, yep same feeling, stupid steering yoke, too gimmicky for me. Got an appointment with Porsche and will be going with the panamera.

You know they have an EV? AFAIK it's been selling way better than Panamera.

I made a Plaid order shortly after it was first available to order and the manage screen now shows it converted to a plaid + order at the same price and it retained the old FSD price of 8k. Ill be looking to get a regular plaid asap as I can't wait for the +.

Honestly I would not be surprised either.
If Tesla offers an actual steering wheel or one can be purchased from a 3rd party company then I don’t see why I wouldn’t be back. Definitely intrigued by the specs and the range.

It’s actually kind of sad, even my wife who hates Tesla after the service center debacle she went through, mentioned how it’s sad I’m trading in our final model s.
Funny, my wife is also not fan of Tesla's so much. She's on the second Model S right now, but I had to convince her. After the first one needed 5 day-long visits at service in the first 3 months after delivery (that was when service still had loaners, there was no flood of Model 3's fixing their production issues, and Tesla didn't try to tell us that yellowing screen after 6 months is our fault for exposing the screen to oxygen) she asked me "you paid how much for this f*!#ng car?!?". While she likes her current Model S, I will have little trouble switching her to another brand - probably another EV unless WA state passes the $0.15 per mile driven EV tax on top of the existing 500 galon equivalent road tax we already pay, then I'm going with the most powerful ICE I can find for me (some 1000hp+ V12 monster probably), and some V6 or V8 Lexus for my wife, but it will be her choice so I don't have to hear how I picked a car for her that requires all that service like I did with Tesla. The extra EV tax btw is attached to COVID relief bill, and argument by our Democrat governor is what WA doesn't have a pollution problem (one of the cleanest air states), but all EV owners are rich and need to pay "their fair share".

Personally I am waiting with high hopes for eTron GT RS. My fallback is Taycan Cross Turismo (the current Taycan trunk is way too small for me, no room in the garage to keep 2 cars just for me like I did before I was married - Porsche 911 for everyday driving and a Toyota 4Runner for shopping/cargo runs). When I saw the rumors of the Model S refresh (no, not the 4 year old thread), I briefly considered short term leasing a Plaid Model S as my 5 year old Model S is not reliable anymore (my reasoning was just refreshed Model S would have high residual values). But, the steering wheel and the AI gear shift solved my dilemma - no way I am letting Tesla software decide whether the car should auto-shift to Drive, Park or Reverse and take responsibility for the consequences. I dislike the steering wheel too, as it will be hell on parallel parking, or it will be drive-by-wire where the steering wheel to wheel deflection ratio depends on speed, none of which I care to deal with. That and I also don't think I want to pay $140K to be an Alpha tester.

Bottom line, thank you Tesla for going so far with the refresh that I am no longer even tempted. The only thing they could have done more is to remove the instrument cluster completely (like Model 3/Y). I am genuinely curious how many they will sell, and that will compare with P85D, P90DL, P100DL sales from the days when they were introduced.

Last edited:
That’s pointing to the same source stating they found an asset (photo) showing a circular steering wheel. I’m asking for a source that confirms Tesla stated they will indeed offer this as an option. Until then, it’s pure speculation.

Speculation is 100% correct as the Tesla.com web site doesn't look like it's even an option:

11B4C3F0-AF0F-4551-A2F2-9C4E4A324B1E.jpeg

Reactions: Ludalicious
I think the advantage of having an order in for a plaid+ instead of a plaid is that by the time it ships, the original plaid and its steering yoke (if in fact the car ships with it) will be in owners hands for at least half a year. By then it will be obvious whether the yoke is great or a disaster (I suspect disaster) and I can then decide to take delivery or not. I suspect but cannot prove that all these cars will either ship with a wheel or with a wheel as an option. I am not sure, and I have my doubts, whether a yoke is legal in terms of federal regulations, and I wonder whether there are states where it would not be. If there are any states that forbid it I don't see how Tesla could choose to offer it as the exclusive option, or even how they could make the business decision of offering it at all. If any states or the feds do not agree that it is safe, I think it would open up legal liability nationally the first time an accident that can be blamed on the yoke occurs anywhere. Tesla might even suffer a recall requirement to replace all the shipped yokes with wheels. And I have heard somewhere that the EU wouldn't allow it because steering controls that could snag on clothing aren't allowed. So I suspect that it's unlikely the yoke will even be an option when it's time for plaid+ reservation holders to commit to delivery. And if a miracle occurs and it turns out that early plaid drivers discover the yoke is actually a great way to steer a car, I will accept delivery with it.

Funny, my wife is also not fan of Tesla's so much. She's on the second Model S right now, but I had to convince her. After the first one needed 5 day-long visits at service in the first 3 months after delivery (that was when service still had loaners, there was no flood of Model 3's fixing their production issues, and Tesla didn't try to tell us that yellowing screen after 6 months is our fault for exposing the screen to oxygen) she asked me "you paid how much for this f*!#ng car?!?". While she likes her current Model S, I will have little trouble switching her to another brand - probably another EV unless WA state passes the $0.15 per mile driven EV tax on top of the existing 500 galon equivalent road tax we already pay, then I'm going with the most powerful ICE I can find for me (some 1000hp+ V12 monster probably), and some V6 or V8 Lexus for my wife, but it will be her choice so I don't have to hear how I picked a car for her that requires all that service like I did with Tesla. The extra EV tax btw is attached to COVID relief bill, and argument by our Democrat governor is what WA doesn't have a pollution problem (one of the cleanest air states), but all EV owners are rich and need to pay "their fair share".

Personally I am waiting with high hopes for eTron GT RS. My fallback is Taycan Cross Turismo (the current Taycan trunk is way too small for me, no room in the garage to keep 2 cars just for me like I did before I was married - Porsche 911 for everyday driving and a Toyota 4Runner for shopping/cargo runs). When I saw the rumors of the Model S refresh (no, not the 4 year old thread), I briefly considered short term leasing a Plaid Model S as my 5 year old Model S is not reliable anymore (my reasoning was just refreshed Model S would have high residual values). But, the steering wheel and the AI gear shift solved my dilemma - no way I am letting Tesla software decide whether the car should auto-shift to Drive, Park or Reverse and take responsibility for the consequences. I dislike the steering wheel too, as it will be hell on parallel parking, or it will be drive-by-wire where the steering wheel to wheel deflection ratio depends on speed, none of which I care to deal with. That and I also don't think I want to pay $140K to be an Alpha tester.

Bottom line, thank you Tesla for going so far with the refresh that I am no longer even tempted. The only thing they could have done more is to remove the instrument cluster completely (like Model 3/Y). I am genuinely curious how many they will sell, and that will compare with P85D, P90DL, P100DL sales from the days when they were introduced.
Ouch, .15 cents per mile is way more than gasoline tax.

I also agree that I do not want to be teslas crash test dummy if it turns out to be the drive by wire system. Same way I’m not interested in the “FSD” feature where I get the privilege of paying Tesla 8-10k to help them develop it, while also assuming all the responsibility for its mistakes and errors.

I am incredibly happy with the redesign with regards to my Plaid+ order, because not only is it "enough" of a refresh to feel new, it's also not "enough" to alienate me from it (although, as I read here, it seems that level varies person to person). In addition to this, it's not "enough" to devalue my current car more than average depreciation - in fact, I imagine there will be people specifically seeking out pre-refresh Model Ses with FSD/AP3 and MCU2! The value could even possibly increase a small amount due to demand, but I'm not gonna hold my breath about that.

... By then it will be obvious whether the yoke is great or a disaster (I suspect disaster) and I can then decide to take delivery or not. I suspect but cannot prove that all these cars will either ship with a wheel or with a wheel as an option. I am not sure, and I have my doubts, whether a yoke is legal in terms of federal regulations, and I wonder whether there are states where it would not be. ..
It is relevant to note that cars and other vehicles have been steered by tillers, yokes, foot pedals and such means since the early days of motorized vehicles and ever since. Aircraft, nautical vehicles, cars, trucks and busses have all done that.

Wheels are a convention and nothing more. They are not inherently good or bad, just the most common choice. I am old enough to remember telephone using a crank to raise an operator who then connected with another telephone. What an outrage when people had to begin dialing their own calls on a circular pad. Next there was an outcry when one had to use pushbuttons.

Many of us are thinking this solution is just like heresy. Remember why there were wheels used in the first place. Steering was mechanical, slow and heavy. (try parking a 1920's car). Thus the reality was a wheel that turned several rotations to go from 'lock to lock'. Now it is all electrical, usually with no physical connection at all. Why have a wheel if progression is automate anyway and can be more or less progressive according to the situation? Surely there is no real need for a wheel anymore.

If we all think about why wheels related yokes, tillers and foot pedals we might also realize there really is not a need for them any more. Remember that the "10 and 2" rule was all about maintaining control when a blowout happened, which they often did even into the 1960's.
I understand preferences, but we might think about: why? first principles, remember?
I'm prepared for an onslaught of brickbats now.

• Love
Reactions: TechOps and f205v
If the numbers are sequential and differ within Model S versions we have a huge Plaid S order good of ~5000 in the last 24 hours alone. If all Model S are in the same RN series and they are sequential it's still ~5000, not bad but also not a Tesla-style blowout.

Does anyone have clues? My Plaid+, made around 10:00 Eastern today is 1144266xx.

Ordered Plaid+ after the unveil. Had ordered a Plaid prior but assumed that wouldn’t roll over to Plaid+, so I canceled that and then ordered the Plaid+. Order number RN114419275.

Sold my 2013 S last year, so looking forward to the Plaid. I have.JetPilot steering wheel on my Model 3, which has proved to be phenomenal in all circumstances. So I’m not shy, and in fact welcome, the yoke steering control on the Plaid+.