Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who plans on getting a true, base $35k Model 3?

What trim level Model 3 do you plan on ordering?

• Barebones 3

Votes: 20 9.8%
  • Fully loaded 3

Votes: 35 17.2%
  • Somewhere in the middle

Votes: 149 73.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Basically I need a good winter driving car since I live in New England. So I need:
AWD
Bigger battery
Cold weather

Might want:
Better audio
Glass roof
Metallic paint

Autopilot actually freaks me out so I'm not sure I'd go for anything more than the basic version.

Don't want to prepay for super charging. I'd prefer to pay as I go.

Definitely:
  • Upgraded paint (dunno which one, but not white or black)
  • Base wheels (unless they're ugly, but definitely not low profile ones)
  • Ultra white seats
  • All glass roof
  • Winter package
  • All wheel drive
  • Base Auto Pilot (probably full autonomy activated later when I know it has passed regulatory hurdles - and I still plan on having the car for a long time)
Maybe:
  • Tow package
  • Upgraded audio
  • Premium package
Depends on final option pricing, and my bank account, compensation, and portfolio, and how much of a mid-life crisis I'm having:
  • Performance, and maybe Ludicrous
  • Bigger battery and/or supercharging, presumably included/required for performance

Definitely:
  • Upgraded paint (dunno which one, but not white or black)
  • Base wheels (unless they're ugly, but definitely not low profile ones)
  • Ultra white seats
  • All glass roof
  • Winter package
  • All wheel drive
  • Base Auto Pilot (probably full autonomy activated later when I know it has passed regulatory hurdles - and I still plan on having the car for a long time)
Maybe:
  • Tow package
  • Upgraded audio
  • Premium package
Depends on final option pricing, and my bank account, compensation, and portfolio, and how much of a mid-life crisis I'm having:
  • Performance, and maybe Ludicrous
  • Bigger battery and/or supercharging, presumably included/required for performance
I want everything but a Tow Package. However I'll buy the tow package if its going to get my car here faster.

35K M3? Yeah....when pigs fly, the car will be at least 45 with "basic" options. $10 K alone for AP2.....Hello !!!!!
Don't you have anything better to do? Of course there will be a 35K car, and a pretty nice one to boot. You're going to gripe about having to pay for options? What did you expect? Priced anything else on the market? You can get a $55K Corvette too but how many people choose the absolute base car? Trolling up the wrong road here.

Dan

Since a couple people have mentioned the federal credit, I'm curious what options people think will reshuffle them in the queue? I'm assuming performance versions go first, but do you think smaller options will make a big impact? How about selecting autonomous vs not?

Since a couple people have mentioned the federal credit, I'm curious what options people think will reshuffle them in the queue? I'm assuming performance versions go first, but do you think smaller options will make a big impact? How about selecting autonomous vs not?
Judging by Model X - performance, large battery, then seating arrangement (not applicable to a 3 -- that we know of), seat material, and premium package. But be warned if you start out early in the queue and they have problems building your car, it may get set aside for who knows how long to be reworked. Also, any option that might seem unimportant could temporarily cause delays, like if they run out of or have production issues with a certain paint color.

Assuming the Model 3 CUV happens, about all we are interested in is adaptive cruise control and collision avoidance. I expect the latter to be standard. 215 miles puts us anywhere in the Portland metro area and back. We could drive to Seattle and recharge over-night. My wife would probably be willing to spend a bit to get a blue one.

My priorities are:
  • AWD
  • Bigger Battery (need 250+ mile range)
Would like to get:
  • Autopilot basic (I only budgeted $2500 for autopilot upgrade, boy did I miss that:()
  • Red Multicoat paint
  • Pano Roof
  • Next Gen seats
Need to keep budget below $50K, and I'm not spending $8K for full autonomous driving until I'm too old to drive.