Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who's getting the normal steering wheel?

Getting normal steering wheel?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I
Well that's not going to be very helpful then. :) Not sure if the Tesla app can use Google Wallet... I don't do much android so not really sure. Sorry!
I dont see any option aside from credit cards on the Android app. Thanks for the idea though! Im sure if I could use Google Wallet it would go through just fine.

EDIT: I got it! I changed the service center and the tax showed up. Was able to change back to my original selection and taxes stayed so I was able to complete the order. Scheduled for Wednesday the 22nd.

EDIT: I got it! I changed the service center and the tax showed up. Was able to change back to my original selection and taxes stayed so I was able to complete the order. Scheduled for Wednesday the 22nd.
Awesome! Glad it finally worked - that service center/not-calculating-tax thing seems odd, but glad you have a workaround. Whew! Enjoy it -- please post photos and your true thoughts; gives me a couple days to chicken out if it's awful ;-)

Reactions: zoomer0056
I ordered the retrofit this morning, also have a mobile service appt for Wednesday the 22nd.

While I am used to the yoke and have no trouble with it, there is something about having the whole wheel to grab onto and not just hold at the sides or bottom. I just think it will be more comfortable and even more fun to drive around. Will report back.

My appointment got switched to mobile, which makes sense. Seems like an easy job to do mobile.

But even though I got a confirmation email, Tesla has hedged their bets in the app that the steering wheel may not be in stock by next Wednesday.

2023-03-16 13.56.59.jpg

As soon as someone gets their new round wheel installed, PLEASE post on here showing that they got to keep their old yoke. I have ordered the new round wheel, with install date at the end of the month, but if they decide to ADD a core charge, that will be a game changer for me. Any type of core charge is NOT mentioned in their sales dept, so it shouldn't be any extra charge.

• Disagree
Reactions: Stirthepot
I'm guessing (just a guess!) that the service centers are getting a bulk shipment. Hopefully not a onesie-twosie shipment for us swappers.
The SC contacted me today and pushed my appointment to the end of the month as they do not have an ETA on when the steering wheel will be delivered.

Does not look like Tesla is doing bulk shipment, but shipping based on orders placed, even though my SC is one of the biggest and busiest in my province.

They did say, that I get to keep my yoke if I wanted to and to let the SC know when I drop it off for the replacement.

As soon as someone gets their new round wheel installed, PLEASE post on here showing that they got to keep their old yoke. I have ordered the new round wheel, with install date at the end of the month, but if they decide to ADD a core charge, that will be a game changer for me. Any type of core charge is NOT mentioned in their sales dept, so it shouldn't be any extra charge.
Interesting you were charged a core charge. I paid the price of the wheel + tax which came up to a little over CAD$ 1000. I was also told if I wanted to I can get my yoke back.

The SC contacted me today and pushed my appointment to the end of the month as they do not have an ETA on when the steering wheel will be delivered.

Does not look like Tesla is doing bulk shipment, but shipping based on orders placed, even though my SC is one of the biggest and busiest in my province.

They did say, that I get to keep my yoke if I wanted to and to let the SC know when I drop it off for the replacement.
Same thing happened to my appointment as well so seems they're just shipping based on individuals orders rather than in bulk, in fact the SC stated they're having difficulty getting parts but that could just be a generic statement. I can keep my yoke as backup though, they just noted it in the appointment.

Must have mentioned this in a different thread but my SC left me a voicemail and cancelled my appointment for Monday because they did not have the steering wheel in stock and did not know when they would receive it. My order from the Tesla app shows the wheel being drop shipped to the SC but does not say when.

• Informative
Wonder if they jumped on the gun on making them available to order before informing the service centers? Based on most owner feedback here, the SC seem out of the loop. Guess it should be no surprise...
Mine was definitely out of the loop. When I ordered the wheel via the app, it immediately prompted me to pick a service center and schedule the install, which I did. I wrongly assume that somehow the steering wheel order would be communicated to the SC, giving them a heads-up of the reason for the appointment. That was not the case. The SC messaged me the next day asking what service was I looking to get done on the car. They then seemed to verify and lock in the appointment, before messaging me a few hours later to tell me they were cancelling the appointment and that I should look to reschedule in about a month. That timeline may have just been that particular SC advisor spitballng a timeframe. I would not want to have to wait another month to get rid of this yoke. The two months I've had it have been painful enough.

Wonder if they jumped on the gun on making them available to order before informing the service centers? Based on most owner feedback here, the SC seem out of the loop. Guess it should be no surprise...
In my experience, the app scheduling does not work with any kind of ETA for part shipment.

I have had to get a couple of parts ordered as part of replacements (Wiper arm, Repeater camera, trunk metal liner) and every time the app will let me schedule a SC appointment any time they have availability. But the SC I have it scheduled will always reach out and push the dates back depending on shipment availability.

From what I am seeing, SCs do not carry any new parts for repair/replacements, especially for the new Model S's.
When the need comes they place an order with the mothership and then align the install date to when it gets delivered. This might be the case with the steering too.

When I first got the Model S, I had to wait almost a month when I had to replace a faulty repeater camera.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
In my experience, the app scheduling does not work with any kind of ETA for part shipment.

I have had to get a couple of parts ordered as part of replacements (Wiper arm, Repeater camera, trunk metal liner) and every time the app will let me schedule a SC appointment any time they have availability. But the SC I have it scheduled will always reach out and push the dates back depending on shipment availability.

From what I am seeing, SCs do not carry any new parts for repair/replacements, especially for the new Model S's.
When the need comes they place an order with the mothership and then align the install date to when it gets delivered. This might be the case with the steering too.
I would agree with that assessment. Wish it could have just been shipped for home delivery like any other item from the Tesla shop. We could then be free to do a DIY install or schedule a mobile or SC appointment for install after it arrived.

Like some others, my SC messaged me immediately after scheduling the initial appointment having no clue what service was needed because the parts order never transferred into the notes, smh.

We could then be free to do a DIY install or schedule a mobile or SC appointment for install after it arrived.

I am wondering if it really is as easy a DIY install as it looks. The new wheel will most likely come with the control panel installed, and some YT'er said the control panel has to be programmed to the car with their shop computer. If that's the case, a DIY would only work by swapping the control panels, which isn't as easy as the Model 3/Y, but still very doable since that's what people do with aftermarket round steering wheels.

I am wondering if it really is as easy a DIY install as it looks. The new wheel will most likely come with the control panel installed, and some YT'er said the control panel has to be programmed to the car with their shop computer. If that's the case, a DIY would only work by swapping the control panels, which isn't as easy as the Model 3/Y, but still very doable since that's what people do with aftermarket round steering wheels.
That's a good point. Never know if there's some service materials that still need to be sent out to service techs before they start accepting the installs. All we can go off of is feedback from those who have gone with aftermarket options. Unrelated but when mobile service replaced my yoke for the 2nd time, I had to go into the service menu to recalibrate steering in order to restore auto steer functionality.

• Informative