Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who's getting the normal steering wheel?

Getting normal steering wheel?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car was in the shop for a bunch of suspension part replacement and they did the wheel replacement with it - originally had mobile service.

Sadly the left side of my wheel’s lights don’t turn on and there’s no haptics. All the techs left when I picked up the car so going back tomorrow to get it looked at. Hopefully it’s not a bad wheel but all of the buttons work, just no haptics or lights on turn signals so not holding my breath; seems like bad hardware.

On the bright side, the tech left my yoke with airbag in the car so I have both parts if I ever want to go back.

But the 10 minute drive home was much more enjoyable with the wheel.

Edit: Oddly enough a software update fixed the lights, haptics, and heating functionality. I’m a happy camper. The wheels is just barely off center going straight which I’ll have addressed when I go in the complain able a rattle in my instrument cluster area

Attachments

• IMG_1170.jpeg
    IMG_1170.jpeg
    612.7 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_1171.jpeg
    IMG_1171.jpeg
    702.1 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
My car was in the shop for a bunch of suspension part replacement and they did the wheel replacement with it - originally had mobile service.

Sadly the left side of my wheel’s lights don’t turn on and there’s no haptics. All the techs left when I picked up the car so going back tomorrow to get it looked at. Hopefully it’s not a bad wheel but all of the buttons work, just no haptics or lights on turn signals so not holding my breath; seems like bad hardware.

On the bright side, the tech left my yoke with airbag in the car so I have both parts if I ever want to go back.

But the 10 minute drive home was much more enjoyable with the wheel.
That's a first, letting customer keep air bag.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
Had steering wheel installed in model S today. Told the tech I’d like to keep the yoke (you know on MY car that I’ve paid for) and he told me he would “let me” keep the yoke but would be removing the airbag from it because “it’s an explosive device” That means that the $700 for the wheel automatically makes the yoke worthless because the airbag is removed and can’t really be resold unless someone wants a light displayed permanently after they install it. Crazy

Had steering wheel installed in model S today. Told the tech I’d like to keep the yoke (you know on MY car that I’ve paid for) and he told me he would “let me” keep the yoke but would be removing the airbag from it because “it’s an explosive device” That means that the $700 for the wheel automatically makes the yoke worthless because the airbag is removed and can’t really be resold unless someone wants a light displayed permanently after they install it. Crazy
Forget that. Yes, the Yoke or any other rounded after market wheel is worthless without the air bag. Sure you can buy an airbag on Ebay but why does Tesla need to accumulate a bunch of non-usable airbags. Next Tuesday the mobile service is coming to install my new Tesla Round wheel and I think I’ll remove the airbag and hide it from him. 🙃

Forget that. Yes, the Yoke or any other rounded after market wheel is worthless without the air bag. Sure you can buy an airbag on Ebay but why does Tesla need to accumulate a bunch of non-usable airbags. Next Tuesday the mobile service is coming to install my new Tesla Round wheel and I think I’ll remove the airbag and hide it from him. 🙃

I'd probably just remove the yoke + airbag altogether and tell them you "prepped the vehicle" for them ... see what they say ...

Lol, your response definitely made me laugh. It’s in the fine print on the service order. I’ll summarize…”Tesla owns the parts we remove from YOUR car and you can buy them back from us except when we say you can’t” I’m obviously being hyperbolic except that I’m not and they do actually state this in a more legal looking way. The service manager, Josh, at the south Austin dealer showed me where to find it. I asked if I could have bought the wheel without install, picked it up and installed myself and he said yeah but there would be no warranty. See my screenshot

Attachments

• IMG_0747.jpeg
    IMG_0747.jpeg
    300.7 KB · Views: 70
Lol, your response definitely made me laugh. It’s in the fine print on the service order. I’ll summarize…”Tesla owns the parts we remove from YOUR car and you can buy them back from us except when we say you can’t” I’m obviously being hyperbolic except that I’m not and they do actually state this in a more legal looking way. The service manager, Josh, at the south Austin dealer showed me where to find it. I asked if I could have bought the wheel without install, picked it up and installed myself and he said yeah but there would be no warranty. See my screenshot
Just looked on eBay and see there are a bunch of gutted yokes flooding the market for $300, and noticed that they not only took the airbag but they remove the leather cover which connects to the airbag. I thought it was just one piece but it’s two.

Attachments

• IMG_0748.png
    IMG_0748.png
    652.8 KB · Views: 73