Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who's going to Plasti-Dip their car? Post photos here...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With a wrap one could peel it off...how about the dip?

Find some videos about removing vinyl wrap. It's arduous and takes a very long time. Dipped cars can be peeled in 20 minutes using just your hands.

EDIT: I misspoke. I was thinking here about removing XPEL wrap which is difficult. I don't know how hard it is to remove vinyl wrap, Buy the looks of this video, it's easier than XPEL, but harder than removing a dip.

Here's a video of removing Plastidip:

Also note that Autoflex is not a DIY product -- you need professional paint equipment, a paint booth, respirators, etc. During application, the atomized Autoflex is nasty stuff. Also masking the car takes longer -- every open space has to be masked and taped -- each door jam, the engine compartments (for ICE), the frunk and open hatch area, etc. You don't want any of that penetrating into the car itself. The prep for AF is mostly the reason it costs more than Plastidip.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Justmurr
I've been considering plastidip as well, but not sure I can do it myself. I also haven't found anyone local yet.

Does anyone know if there are any issues with covering up the sensors (radar in bumpers, etc.) and if it has an impact on autopilot?

Also note that Autoflex is not a DIY product -- you need professional paint equipment, a paint booth, respirators, etc. During application, the atomized Autoflex is nasty stuff. Also masking the car takes longer -- every open space has to be masked and taped -- each door jam, the engine compartments (for ICE), the frunk and open hatch area, etc. You don't want any of that penetrating into the car itself. The prep for AF is mostly the reason it costs more than Plastidip.

AuotFlex would definitely be my choice if I were to sub this job out - but as someone who likes the "I did it myself" aspect... I'm thinking that the original plasi-dip would be the easiest to work with but I'm also seeing their Pro-Line product which is apparently a step-up from the original yet still considered something that can be done at home. Any experience or feedback on that product ? Assuming it has less of a rubber-coat feel than the original but might just need more prep, more careful application...either way I'll need to practice first.

My plan is just to do trim right now. I might get more daring in the future. I just figured this entire plasti dip thing out because I really want to change my trim colors. It really is a rabbit hole. I have spent hours watching "Fonzie" put this stuff on cars. The man has insane arms haha. Anyway I would say to anyone wanting to try this out go to Home Depot and buy a can (they sell the basic colors) and then spray something like I did. I started with water bottles. Who knows my wife might have black trim on her odyssey soon haha. (She would probably kill me).

I am definitely going to do this on my Tesla. I just bought the anthricite metalizer pearl from Amazon and it is coming tomorrow so I can try out that color.

On another note I just saw a blue Model S with dipped rims and vinyl trim and it looks so amazing! I was floored! Anyway it is making it hard to choose between Midnight Silver and Blue for my Model 3.

I used a paint gun (specifically the one from dipyourcar.com). We tape off the major parts of the car like the wheels and windows (mainly to save material). You can spray right over the lights and smaller elements and then just peel off that area so that you get a really crisp break. Generally you do multiple base coats of matte black, waiting about 10-15min between. You want to build up the coats slowly, just "peppering" it on until you build it up, then start adding your top color. I ordered gallons from dipyourcar.com and then added the coloring powders.

It's quite easy if you take your time, I'd never painting anything like a car before. Just prep it well (car has to be absolutely 100% dry and then wiped down with rubbing alcohol), tape off the windows, wheels and air intake areas and then just take your time spraying. I generally took about 6-7 hours to get it all done and less than $200 in materials. The gold on the van is needing a redo but it's been on for over 2 years and still looks decent from a few feet back.

I sold the BMW and peeled it off in about 20 minutes before taking it to the dealer. I had a few spots that needed a little solvent to get off, but 98% of it just peeled right off. It's awesome protection for the original paint, and provided you did it right you can just add a new color right on top of what you had before.

Thanks for the info! That is why I love the plasti-dip it really is reversible. Plus I think it provides some kind of protection.

Not a fan of plastidip on the whole car, but trim or wheels would be alright. Even with glossifier, still looks to matte to me.

Btw, have the same countertop stone in our kitchen as well!

Yes both of my cups had the glossifier on it so they aren't that glossy. I am like you I am not sure I would like the texture of the dip on the entire car.

Funny about the counters. I think that is a pretty common color. We had them put in when we bought the house 5 years ago. The original counters were strange and the sink wasn't undermount which my wife hated. I did the backsplash myself. So I guess I like to DIY. The bathrooms are next. The entire house was kind of blah when we bought it but it had an amazing view and the yard is incredible. And I think we got it at a discount because the house was bland. Still working on that.

I'm so completely interested in getting that matte look - the reveal car is my muse.
Probably a few coats of glossifer as well - satin black with those aeros --- yes please.

I've only recently started researching the plastic-dip and I'm very intrigued. I've not done it but in a former life I was an excellent painter and I've sprayed a few things around the house with latex. I am pretty confident that I can pull this off and love the DIY aspect since you can remove it.

I have a cap sprayer but need a bigger compressor... I do wonder if their sprayer might work better though?
I think I will get a gallon and maybe do the hood on my old Volvo.

AutoFlex is the new stuff that is harder to discern from original finishes (from what I see on the internets).

I would say try it out first with the simple stuff and see if you are comfortable. If you can get a good smooth finish with a rattle can then you are ready for a sprayer.

I've been considering plastidip as well, but not sure I can do it myself. I also haven't found anyone local yet.

Does anyone know if there are any issues with covering up the sensors (radar in bumpers, etc.) and if it has an impact on autopilot?

You'll have to make sure the camera sensors are not covered. From what I understand the radar sensors are ok to cover. Not sure how it effects their performance.

I would say try it out first with the simple stuff and see if you are comfortable. If you can get a good smooth finish with a rattle can then you are ready for a sprayer.

I wasn't going to do this as I figured I could just get 1 gallon of the matte black and use my own equipment to test it out. If it works on my old Volvo (probably just do the hood) the I'm all set. Maybe your suggestion is worthwhile though, might as well try the rattle can to get a feel for the material....then order a gallon.

Just remember if you're testing it out, you need I think at least 5 coats (more is better) in order for it to peel off correctly. If you do just a light coat and stop, removal can be more tricky.

Yes, absolutely. I did 7-8 coats on all my cars and was able to peel it all quite easily (with the exception of my BMW where there was a hotspot on the hood directly over the engine that took a little solvent to get off).

I've dipped and wrapped cars parts (mirrors, hoods, wings, wheels, etc), never a whole car but I've been around a few of them that were done well. IMO a dipped car is a 15 ft car; looks good from >15 ft away but when you get closer you start to notice it's not as pleasing or clean as a good wrap job. Dipping a car is good for a temporary appearance goal (a few months), if it's a daily driver used year 'round, it'll start to look ragged after a few days of running in wet conditions and doesn't clean up as well as clear coated paint. I find that the most satisfying part of dipping is peeling it off. When it comes to wraps, you're mainly paying for the skill sets of the installers, the vinyl for vehicles is not as pricey as you may think considering the ~$4k cost of wrapping a typical car. Since the Model 3 doesn't have a lot of badging, chrome parts and complex contours, it looks like it could be a good candidate for DIY wrapping attempts.

I wasn't going to do this as I figured I could just get 1 gallon of the matte black and use my own equipment to test it out. If it works on my old Volvo (probably just do the hood) the I'm all set. Maybe your suggestion is worthwhile though, might as well try the rattle can to get a feel for the material....then order a gallon.

Ok that makes sense. If you already have a sprayer you are probably already know how to apply paint without causing drips. That took me awhile to learn spray painting things.

This was one of my first projects... It is a replacement for my Toyota badge on my truck...
TU5Luxs.jpg

Reactions: Justmurr
I've dipped and wrapped cars parts (mirrors, hoods, wings, wheels, etc), never a whole car but I've been around a few of them that were done well. IMO a dipped car is a 15 ft car; looks good from >15 ft away but when you get closer you start to notice it's not as pleasing or clean as a good wrap job. Dipping a car is good for a temporary appearance goal (a few months), if it's a daily driver used year 'round, it'll start to look ragged after a few days of running in wet conditions and doesn't clean up as well as clear coated paint. I find that the most satisfying part of dipping is peeling it off. When it comes to wraps, you're mainly paying for the skill sets of the installers, the vinyl for vehicles is not as pricey as you may think considering the ~$4k cost of wrapping a typical car. Since the Model 3 doesn't have a lot of badging, chrome parts and complex contours, it looks like it could be a good candidate for DIY wrapping attempts.

Honestly that was what I was thinking. That is why I won't do the entire body... Worse case if you do the entire car is if it starts to look raggid just peal and do it again. You could also change colors as your tastes change :)