Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who's tinted their windows?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
XPEL PRIME XR Black 20% Sides and Rears, 70% Front Windshield.

Excellent job done by Imperial Works in Sacramento, CA!!

Attachments

• 648D257B-8016-4F9D-ACCF-2160B6E776D8.jpeg
    648D257B-8016-4F9D-ACCF-2160B6E776D8.jpeg
    632 KB · Views: 683
Reactions: kev1n and tracksyde
No Front Plate is also not legal in CA..
Except no front plate has 0 impact on safety.

And in case of an accident the insurance can legally waive its obligation to provide coverage. They certainly won’t do it for minor accidents but for major accidents they definitely can. We have instances of people in prison for this and they lost everything. The insurance didn’t protect them and used the tinting as an excuse to forgo coverage.

Yeah, especially after seeing that Tesla this week that got the tiny dent in the rear bumper, but because it requires a frame pull and Tesla won't allow a frame pull the car is totaled. I am sure that is one the insurance company would love to get out from having to pay, what's that? You have tint on the front of the car??

-Randy

Except no front plate has 0 impact on safety.

And in case of an accident the insurance can legally waive its obligation to provide coverage. They certainly won’t do it for minor accidents but for major accidents they definitely can. We have instances of people in prison for this and they lost everything. The insurance didn’t protect them and used the tinting as an excuse to forgo coverage.

Do you have a source for that? It gets spouted on the internet time after time but I've never seen an actual case of it happening to anyone.

XPEL PRIME XR Black 20% Sides and Rears, 70% Front Windshield.

Excellent job done by Imperial Works in Sacramento, CA!!

Damn, that blue paint keeps creeping back in my head. Have only owned white cars, but seeing a lot of white already on the road and on here makes me compelled to try something different. Just another month or two (or three) to decide. Looks great man!

Do you have a source for that? It gets spouted on the internet time after time but I've never seen an actual case of it happening to anyone.
One of the users on this board whose sister is a lawyer. She mentioned of a guy who is in jail for 9 years after hitting a pedestrian and lost his house and everything. I apologize I do not remember the exact thread where I read this. That was another thread here about tinting and it was a couple months ago.

One of the users on this board whose sister is a lawyer. She mentioned of a guy who is in jail for 9 years after hitting a pedestrian and lost his house and everything. I apologize I do not remember the exact thread where I read this. That was another thread here about tinting and it was a couple months ago.

Did she represent the guy or the insurance company? Just sounds like hearsay. She probably heard it from someone else, there's no credibility to it. The insurance company would have to prove the tint contributed to the accident. Most people don't even tint the windshield more than the factory VLT so I think it'd be a tough case to prove.

9 years sounds outrageous. There are DUI manslaughter cases that don't even give 9 years. That just makes me even more skeptical.

Reactions: calvinvle
Awesome. I've just configured mine, going with white and plan to do a chrome delete and considering a satin PPF wrap with darker wheels; can't decide whether to keep the stilletos and powdercoat/paint, or to go aftermarket.

Nice! I like the sport wheels so that’s why I went powder coat over aftermarket. Also didn’t want to search for new tires. With chrome delete I think a satin black powder coat will look great. Good luck!

What is it like driving with windshield tint 75% at night? Is it noticeably darker? I want to do the windshield but worry about it being a little too dark at night.

I've had 70% on the front sides of my past 3 cars. It's not the windshield, but I do check my side mirrors a lot. Not really noticeable at night.

Main reason I'm not considering it is cuz I seem to get a lot of rock chips on my windshields.

Front sides too? Already considering driving 400 miles to Extreme (tho not for their slightly cheaper price over Premier). For $700, I'd consider driving down to San Diego if I'm already in SoCal. Still, $700 seems too good to be true.
For me, it was $1000 for all sides/one piece rear and an extra $350 for windshield. This was with their special pricing. Worth giving them a call since from this reddit, it ended May 31st:
r/teslamotors - San Diego Tint & Wrap Group Buy and basic info sharing