Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why a Y Needs Mud Guards/Flaps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The shiny side is supposed to face the wheel. My flaps came with stickers on them to identify where they went and which side, yours did not have stickers? Personally I think they would not look as good visually with the glossy side visible from the rear as opposed to facing the wheel.

Personally I really like them and they do an excellent job of doing what they are designed for.

Fifteen dollar temporary solution until custom fit ones are available. Used the template from an earlier post.
YakTMOTm.jpg

3vm2mRSm.jpg

AN54HOJm.jpg

Reactions: DesertSilver
So here is a comparison to show what the flaps do. Do not look at the dirt/crud but more at the lines sowing where it was thrown up from the wheel. Even with larger semi "Rally" style flaps there is still some crud thrown up close to the front wheel at the plastic rocker guard and a little patch near the rear wheel where it would be important to install the protection film Tesla offers or have a custom job in that location

Original pic.

With guards/flaps pic.

Fronts only? What the hell is Tesla doing?!
Keep in mind Tesla is charging a very reasonable $40 shipped even though it’s only the fronts. They could very well sell a single SKU for $80-100 and make you get both from and back. Having both front and back would create symmetry but the front flaps addresses the immediate need for the damage being done to the rear doors.

In my opinion, having the front flaps is a NEED, versus a WANT for the back.

So here is a comparison to show what the flaps do. Do not look at the dirt/crud but more at the lines sowing where it was thrown up from the wheel. Even with larger semi "Rally" style flaps there is still some crud thrown up close to the front wheel at the plastic rocker guard and a little patch near the rear wheel where it would be important to install the protection film Tesla offers or have a custom job in that location

It appears you have the EVmudflaps, which I have also. When comparing the side pic of the Y flaps on Tesla’s website to what I see on my car, it appears Tesla model goes lower, but it could just be the angle. If it is lower than the EVmudflaps, then that could help account the extra accumulation you’re still seeing.

Keep in mind Tesla is charging a very reasonable $40 shipped even though it’s only the fronts. They could very well sell a single SKU for $80-100 and make you get both from and back. Having both front and back would create symmetry but the front flaps addresses the immediate need for the damage being done to the rear doors.

In my opinion, having the front flaps is a NEED, versus a WANT for the back.

It appears you have the EVmudflaps, which I have also. When comparing the side pic of the Y flaps on Tesla’s website to what I see on my car, it appears Tesla model goes lower, but it could just be the angle. If it is lower than the EVmudflaps, then that could help account the extra accumulation you’re still seeing.
I respectfully disagree. The rear flaps are just as important, if not more important, than the front flaps on the MYP. The size of the tires and wheel offset in the rear, over time causes significant damage to the bottom rear corner (triangle) of the door, exterior wheel arch trim and rocker panels from rocks. Someone posted a photo of that section of their MSM MY and it's absolutely sandblasted after ~4,500 miles.

I respectfully disagree. The rear flaps are just as important, if not more important, than the front flaps on the MYP. The size of the tires and wheel offset in the rear, over time causes significant damage to the bottom rear corner (triangle) of the door, exterior wheel arch trim and rocker panels from rocks. Someone posted a photo of that section of their MSM MY and it's absolutely sandblasted after ~4,500 miles.

Your comment makes reference to “bottom rear corner of the door”, which I’m guessing is the rear door, right? If so, I think we’re talking about the same thing since the front flaps would be the one to protect debris from hitting the rear door. The rear flaps would only protect the very bottom corners of the rear bumper (other than preventing debris from flying backwards to other cars).

From what I understand, even though an AWD MY can be powered via all 4 wheels, it is primarily driven by its rear wheels, with the front being used as needed due to reduced traction or extra grip needed under hard acceleration. Fair assumption? I am basing this off of other posts, Scan My Tesla data pulls from the CAN bus, etc. So if the majority of propulsion is via the rear wheels, wouldn't it make sense to have mud flaps on those too, to protect against debris getting thrown from those rear wheels?

From what I understand, even though an AWD MY can be powered via all 4 wheels, it is primarily driven by its rear wheels, with the front being used as needed due to reduced traction or extra grip needed under hard acceleration. Fair assumption? I am basing this off of other posts, Scan My Tesla data pulls from the CAN bus, etc. So if the majority of propulsion is via the rear wheels, wouldn't it make sense to have mud flaps on those too, to protect against debris getting thrown from those rear wheels?

It wouldn’t matter what wheels are driven, as far as debris being kicked up, unless we’re talking about said wheels rotating at a speed faster than the vehicle is actually moving (such as a burnout).

Mark my words, in few months Mud guards and ppf will be standard on all MY !. Tesla MY has design flaw, people are starting to post pictures and talk about damage after only 2000 miles. Tesla will have to adjust that part around wheels or will get recall very soon. Thats why they lowered price og mud guards after only few days, they know they will have to install them for free very soon

Reactions: Barrygold
These are available on Amazon now. They are coming from Hong Kong, so they will take some time to arrive, but the company has fitted them to a Model Y they used as a model, from what I understand. As of right now, they are the only ones on Amazon with these so they will sell out I am sure. I'll post pics and a review here once they arrive.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08TQTVM5G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

View attachment 632117 View attachment 632119

Those are the best looking ones I have seen yet.

These are available on Amazon now. They are coming from Hong Kong, so they will take some time to arrive, but the company has fitted them to a Model Y they used as a model, from what I understand. As of right now, they are the only ones on Amazon with these so they will sell out I am sure. I'll post pics and a review here once they arrive.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08TQTVM5G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

View attachment 632117 View attachment 632119

Those are the best looking ones I have seen yet.

Yes, those are the best looking mudflaps that I’ve seen so far but keep in mind there’s a point where they won’t function for the intended purpose many of us want them for which is protecting the lower part of the rear doors. The pics in JohnInSanDiego’s post shows a Model 3 so those same size flaps on a Model Y would result in them being a lot higher off the ground.

At the speeds of normal driving, debris will pretty much be flung in a straight line off the tire. As midnightsun showed a few posts ago, the subjectively ugly EVmudflaps :) extend lower than these Amazon ones but still may not fully protect debris from hitting the paint on the very lowest part of the rear doors.

I have the EVmudflaps also and just took this picture to show that there is still about two inches below the mudflaps where debris could be flung straight to the bottom of the rear door, causing damage.

909BEFF6-7B47-4B61-865F-514A01A2AAEF.jpeg

If someone with the Tesla mudflaps can take a measurement, my EVmudflaps fronts are 3.75” from ground to bottom of flaps for my Long Range (Performance is lower so would be closer to ground a bit). The pics on Tesla’s website seem to show the OEM ones extend lower but could just be the angle.

Edit: There’s another MY mudflaps thread and I asked the question on that thread for someone to measure distance below the OEM flaps.

Last edited: