Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why a Y Needs Mud Guards/Flaps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
6 month gatherer of info, first time poster. :)

Anyways, I picked up the ZL1Addons Rock Guards that were posted a week or so ago. The kit comes with clips, but not a longer replacement clip/pin to insert. I ended up going to AutoZone and picking up some for $4.

Any questions, let me know!

Tesla 20-21 Model Y Standard Rock Guards

20210201_165539.jpg
20210201_165056.jpg
20210201_165041.jpg
20210201_165035.jpg
20210201_165020.jpg

Anyways, I picked up the ZL1Addons Rock Guards that were posted a week or so ago. The kit comes with clips, but not a longer replacement clip/pin to insert. I ended up going to AutoZone and picking up some for $4.

View attachment 633194 View attachment 633195 View attachment 633196 View attachment 633197 View attachment 633198

They look good. Do you feel those clips will hold the guards in place long term?

They look good. Do you feel those clips will hold the guards in place long term?

I feel like they would pending you're not constantly removing/installing them. They are metal clips that are clawed on both sides. I feel if you widened them a few times, they'd lose their integrity and become loose over time or snap. For reference, mine came with 10 clips.

I looked at the car after I came back for an errand and decided to snap a picture because this is almost like a wind tunnel thing. Notice how the mess is thrown and where. This will give you a good idea where the rocks and sand will eventually eat away at the paint if guards are not installed.

I'm awaiting the flaps to become available again in the Tesla Shop, and will definitely get them. They look easy to install at home. I'm taking a major road trip across the country soon, and I'd prefer to have them on before then.

Yes, those are the best looking mudflaps that I’ve seen so far but keep in mind there’s a point where they won’t function for the intended purpose many of us want them for which is protecting the lower part of the rear doors. The pics in JohnInSanDiego’s post shows a Model 3 so those same size flaps on a Model Y would result in them being a lot higher off the ground.

At the speeds of normal driving, debris will pretty much be flung in a straight line off the tire. As midnightsun showed a few posts ago, the subjectively ugly EVmudflaps :) extend lower than these Amazon ones but still may not fully protect debris from hitting the paint on the very lowest part of the rear doors.

I have the EVmudflaps also and just took this picture to show that there is still about two inches below the mudflaps where debris could be flung straight to the bottom of the rear door, causing damage.

View attachment 632164

If someone with the Tesla mudflaps can take a measurement, my EVmudflaps fronts are 3.75” from ground to bottom of flaps for my Long Range (Performance is lower so would be closer to ground a bit). The pics on Tesla’s website seem to show the OEM ones extend lower but could just be the angle.

Edit: There’s another MY mudflaps thread and I asked the question on that thread for someone to measure distance below the OEM flaps.
The Tesla ones appear to be about 2 5/8" from the ground.
Model Y Mudflap clearance.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I'm awaiting the flaps to become available again in the Tesla Shop, and will definitely get them. They look easy to install at home. I'm taking a major road trip across the country soon, and I'd prefer to have them on before then.

Very easy to install! Remove the two clips, place new mudflaps in, and secure them with included longer clips. Took <2 minutes

happy to say my very first post on this site is a good one. Hi. i'm the test vehicle that Rally Armor is using to fit their upcoming mudflaps. Met up with them yesterday. first and foremost awesome company and was very impressed with the warehouse tour.
now, onto what matters. we installed the first print of mudflaps. the difference between what i have and the final release is: 1) the edges were just a rough cut vs what rally armor typically does to smooth out their edges. And 2) the unique clips they are using will need to be powder-coated. mine are currently shiny stainless steel (used a magic marker to make them black). the final release will be black powder-coated to match with the wheel well. the clips are important as this will not require anything to be drilled in. all things considered, this is a quick install which can be completed in 5-10 minutes. how strong are the clips? very very strong. the flaps do not budge off the car.

i'll let the pictures speak for themselves. as i get more information i'll try to provide. the good news is this is just around the corner and more than just a thought.

View attachment 626483 View attachment 626484 View attachment 626482 View attachment 626481 View attachment 626480
Any update on when these will be available for the rest of us?

These arrived today, and I will install them later this week. Just placing them up against the vehicle, I can tell they are going to ne a really good fit. They have the same style as the ones I placed on my Model 3 last year. I unfortunately won't be able to share how well these do in the snow as I am in San Diego, but I think these will be great performers and at the best price we have seen so far.

I ordered these on Jan 26th and they arrived in just less than 2 weeks. The ETA on them was Feb 22nd-Mar 15th, so that was a pleasant surprise, though the rep from the company let me know of shipping updates.

ModelYmudflaps.jpg

These are available on Amazon now. They are coming from Hong Kong, so they will take some time to arrive, but the company has fitted them to a Model Y they used as a model, from what I understand. As of right now, they are the only ones on Amazon with these so they will sell out I am sure. I'll post pics and a review here once they arrive.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08TQTVM5G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm in Florida and never put much thought into these flaps. My S doesn't have them but the Y is a little different in shape. Would I need these on my Y if I never drive in snow?

The larger concern that the mud flaps address is not necessarily from snow, but debris/gravel flung off the front tires. For those in worse weather areas, there’d be gravel laid out so lots of chances for it to cause damage..

So your area would probably have less debris on the roads that elsewhere but anything kicked off the front tire has the chance to hit the rear doors causing damage to the paint.

The larger concern that the mud flaps address is not necessarily from snow, but debris/gravel flung off the front tires. For those in worse weather areas, there’d be gravel laid out so lots of chances for it to cause damage..

So your area would probably have less debris on the roads that elsewhere but anything kicked off the front tire has the chance to hit the rear doors causing damage to the paint.

Makes sense, thanks. Roads around me are fairly "clean" but I'll look into adding them for some protection, won't hurt to have them I suppose.

It's not just mud and snow. The front tires in the Model Y extend out to the edge of the fender and will spray water, sand and grit. The lower door panels, especially rear doors, get filthy anytime you drive on wet roads. The paint, especially, on the rear doors takes a beating and can quickly become damaged.

Reactions: ChrgdTeCHick

View attachment 633194 View attachment 633195 View attachment 633196 View attachment 633197 View attachment 633198
Thanks for sharing the pics and install info of the ZL1 Addons Rock Guards. I received my set last week, and I'm hoping to install them on my MYP when I take delivery later this week.

For the longer pin, is this the part you got from AutoZone? https://www.autozone.com/screws-pin...eeda-parts-mud-guard-clip-9971229/1007305_0_0. AutoZone's site says it won't fit the Tesla Model Y, but it looks like a standard part size.

These arrived today, and I will install them later this week. Just placing them up against the vehicle, I can tell they are going to ne a really good fit. They have the same style as the ones I placed on my Model 3 last year. I unfortunately won't be able to share how well these do in the snow as I am in San Diego, but I think these will be great performers and at the best price we have seen so far.

I ordered these on Jan 26th and they arrived in just less than 2 weeks. The ETA on them was Feb 22nd-Mar 15th, so that was a pleasant surprise, though the rep from the company let me know of shipping updates.

View attachment 635198

i ordered these as well back on 1/23. glad to see a test fitment and thanks for the pics!

Reactions: JohnInSanDiego
They do look nice and the fit seems great however they are way too small to protect the Y properly IMHO.

Its certainly a mathematical formula based on distance from the tire, how close to the ground they need to be, etc. I attached some math formulas for any math nerds amongst us that want to find the optimal size for maximum protection. It came from the Pennsylvania DOT and looks quite old, but valid. If you want to make your Model Y look like a Freightliner. :cool:

In the meantime, i think we will find that these look good, are not an eye sore, function well enough, and are perfectly acceptable for our Model Ys in their daily use.

Attachments

• WheelShieldRequirements.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 72
  • Informative
Reactions: allen514